Is repentance translated improperly in English?

ItalianStallion

Aug 4, 2018
California
✟14,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Background: I was raised Protestant/evangelical. I read my bible, went to Sunday school, etc. I always believed repentance/salvation was feeling sorry for your sins and believing in Jesus. Even though I lived a worldly life in school/college, I believed I was saved because I said the sinner's prayer. Growing up I would watch shows where someone would go to heaven after death row just because they accepted/believed in Jesus as a child. After college I was baptized and got deeper into my faith...but I realized something:

The English Bibles use the word repent to cover a couple Greek meanings; the official definition of repent is: feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin.

Matthew 27:3 - Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented (metamelomai) himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders.
The word repent is used here, but the Greek translates to metamelomai (which means regret, remorse, or sorrow). This makes sense here, as Judas felt bad and even returned the pieces of silver.

HOWEVER, the English bibles also use the word repent to apply to the Greek word metanoia (which is used much more frequently than metamelomia).
Mark 1:15 - And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent (metanoia) ye, and believe the gospel.
Luke 13:4-5 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent (metanoia), ye shall all likewise perish.

Metanoia means 'a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion.' This actually makes more sense, as Jesus is telling people to change their ways/lifestyle (not just solely to feel regret/remorse for one's actions).

The fact the English bibles use repent to apply to both metamelomai AND metonia seems improper. Why are many churches in America not telling their members to change their ways/lifestyle? I assume Greek Orthodox translates this originally/properly? Why does the English bible use repent to apply to metanoia when in reality it's not the same definition (and applies better to metamelomai)? How were you raised to translate repentance?
I appreciate your input (from all denominations) and God bless.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Background: I was raised Protestant/evangelical. I read my bible, went to Sunday school, etc. I always believed repentance/salvation was feeling sorry for your sins and believing in Jesus. Even though I lived a worldly life in school/college, I believed I was saved because I said the sinner's prayer. Growing up I would watch shows where someone would go to heaven after death row just because they accepted/believed in Jesus as a child. After college I was baptized and got deeper into my faith...but I realized something:

The English Bibles use the word repent to cover a couple Greek meanings; the official definition of repent is: feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin.

Matthew 27:3 - Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented (metamelomai) himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders.
The word repent is used here, but the Greek translates to metamelomai (which means regret, remorse, or sorrow). This makes sense here, as Judas felt bad and even returned the pieces of silver.

HOWEVER, the English bibles also use the word repent to apply to the Greek word metanoia (which is used much more frequently than metamelomia).
Mark 1:15 - And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent (metanoia) ye, and believe the gospel.
Luke 13:4-5 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent (metanoia), ye shall all likewise perish.

Metanoia means 'a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion.' This actually makes more sense, as Jesus is telling people to change their ways/lifestyle (not just solely to feel regret/remorse for one's actions).

The fact the English bibles use repent to apply to both metamelomai AND metonia seems improper. Why are many churches in America not telling their members to change their ways/lifestyle? I assume Greek Orthodox translates this originally/properly? Why does the English bible use repent to apply to metanoia when in reality it's not the same definition (and applies better to metamelomai)? How were you raised to translate repentance?
I appreciate your input (from all denominations) and God bless.
Sounds like one of those things that left over from the state religion era.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟685,614.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, repentance / metanoia is from meta (meaning to change) and nous (meaning mind) it is a change in the mind. Apostle Paul says:

Rom 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Metanoia is renewing of the mind leading to transformation of our lifestyle and repentance should be understood as such.

Metamelomai means to feel regret or remorse, but this has nothing to do with salvation.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟178,260.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never noticed that mistranslation in English Bibles because I've read the Bible in German only for the best part of my life and we got different terms for those two things. I was always surprised when an English-speaking person didn't know that repentance means "to turn around", to change your lifestyle.

In fact you can regret without repenting (like Judas Iskariot) and repent without regretting (by making the willful decision to stop sinning, although you enjoyed sinning before). The Bible doesn't command us to regret (you can't force feelings anyway), the Bible commands us to repent, to turn around and stop.

Derek Prince explains it well here:

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You say this is "the" official definition. But > for years, I have read how commentators say that to repent means to change in your mind.

So, the definition you give above is not what all scholars and Christians consider to be "the" official definition of "repent".

And here is an official website link with a few definitions of "repent" >

Repent | Definition of Repent by Merriam-Webster

So, even this secular dictionary has a different first definition of "repent".

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never noticed that mistranslation in English Bibles because I've read the Bible in German only for the best part of my life and we got different terms for those two things. I was always surprised when an English-speaking person didn't know that repentance means "to turn your life around", to change your lifestyle.
If an English speaker does not know what a word means, this does not mean the Bible has been mistranslated. I offered a link to an official dictionary website, where "repent" has as its first definition, to turn one's life around . . . in so many words < you can evaluate for yourself :)

The first definition is not to feel sorry or to have remorse.

Culture of this world can change the meaning of words. And Satan could have a motive for getting people to change how they define "repent" . . . I would say. The strategy can include to get people to have a definition which God's word does not mean, so they will read His word with the wrong definition in mind.

But even a Merriam Webster dictionary, in the link above, does not give the first definition of "repent" as regretting or having remorse . . . as you can see if you have not looked, already.

But . . . even so > a secular definition can leave out how true repentance includes how God in us changes our character so we can live for Him. Sinners need to be turned "from the power of Satan to God" (in Acts 26:18). I personally understand this means how God Himself in a person changes that person so he or she is not in Satan's power of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience." (in Ephesians 2:2) And the changed person is now with God working in the person > Philippians 2:13.

Therefore, repenting is not a self-produced action, like one could understand any secular definition to mean.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

Each newborn child of God becomes "one spirit with" Jesus. And with this new union, the almighty power of Jesus succeeds in changing the person better than one can change one's own self.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟178,260.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If an English speaker does not know what a word means, this does not mean the Bible has been mistranslated. I offered a link to an official dictionary website, where "repent" has as its first definition, to turn one's life around . . . in so many words < you can evaluate for yourself :)

The first definition is not to feel sorry or to have remorse.

Culture of this world can change the meaning of words. And Satan could have a motive for getting people to change how they define "repent" . . . I would say. The strategy can include to get people to have a definition which God's word does not mean, so they will read His word with the wrong definition in mind.

But even a Merriam Webster dictionary, in the link above, does not give the first definition of "repent" as regretting or having remorse . . . as you can see if you have not looked, already.

But . . . even so > a secular definition can leave out how true repentance includes how God in us changes our character so we can live for Him. Sinners need to be turned "from the power of Satan to God" (in Acts 26:18). I personally understand this means how God Himself in a person changes that person so he or she is not in Satan's power of "the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience." (in Ephesians 2:2) And the changed person is now with God working in the person > Philippians 2:13.

Therefore, repenting is not a self-produced action, like one could understand any secular definition to mean.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

Each newborn child of God becomes "one spirit with" Jesus. And with this new union, the almighty power of Jesus succeeds in changing the person better than one can change one's own self.

There are English Bibles which use the word "repent" in the context of Judas, and that is a mistranslation. Judas Iskariot never repented, he only felt remorse/regret.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are English Bibles which use the word "repent" in the context of Judas, and that is a mistranslation. Judas Iskariot never repented, he only felt remorse/regret.
There are people who read that Judas "repented", and they even claim that means he got saved. But I've always understood it did not mean changing for the better. Because if he had repented, he would not have killed himself > this is what a number of people understand.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Background: I was raised Protestant/evangelical. I read my bible, went to Sunday school, etc. I always believed repentance/salvation was feeling sorry for your sins ... ...Why are many churches in America not telling their members to change their ways/lifestyle?...

I think you have understood well the word. And I think, if person is sorry, he doesn’t want to do the thing that he is sorry, otherwise he would not really be sorry about it. When people say they are sorry, but don’t really even try to do better next time, it is hard to believe they are really sorry.

Upvote 0

ItalianStallion

Aug 4, 2018
California
✟14,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Metamelomai means to feel regret or remorse, but this has nothing to do with salvation.

This right here might be the central thesis of my post.
In honest sincerity, I can say I believed my salvation was secure simply because of the metamelomai (ie: sinner's prayer and regret for my sin).

Objectively analyzing this, it's easy to see the error in my ways. I know various definitions are posted, but if we go to google and type in repent this is what I see: feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin (which translates well to metamalomai).

Even if we use many translations, metanoia is still often translated to simply 'repent'
Matthew 4:17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
Mark 1:15 "The time is fulfilled," He said, "and the kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe in the gospel!"
Luke 13:5 No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

While metamelomai is still often translated to 'repent' as well:
Matthew 21:32 For John came to you in a righteous way and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

(another tidbit - the KJV is one of the most likely to use the word repent to apply to both Greek definitions, and usually I trust KJV the most).

Knowing this information, I wish more church leaders would preach metanoia. I truly believed I was saved because of metamelomai.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Metamelomai means to feel regret or remorse, but this has nothing to do with salvation

Metamelomai is not adequate to repentance, but we should not discount it too much.

For the sorrow that is according to [the will of] God produces a repentance without regret, [leading] to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. - 2Co 7:10​

Regret and sorrow could lead to repentance if the person turns it to God, and then to salvation/restoration. It is possible that pangs of regret and remorse would awaken us to the reality of our having offended God. We then see our need to bring our sin to Him for forgiveness. Judas failed to take that vital step and was stuck in emotions. Peter felt deep pangs of remorse for having denied Christ three times, but in it he didn't lose faith in the God who is greater than his weaknesses. I agree that "repent" is a poor rendering of what Judas experienced in the text.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟685,614.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
repent is also an interesting word study in the OT. For example:
Exo 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
Again, this is the word "metamelomai" in the Greek translation (LXX), which means regretted rather than repented.

Upvote 0