Is our perception of time restricting us?

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
... just a statement of the contrast between the core values of science and religion; in science, we at least try.

I wonder why so many engineers are fundamentalists and so few scientists are. Any idea?

I thought you didn't generalize.

btw is an incomplete theory? I thought they are all incomplete / unproven.

In a philosophical debate, most scientists (and engineers) will admit that all theories are incomplete. But when it comes to actually doing something different, a common tactic is the "success" defense ... maybe the second most popular is the "parsimony" defense. I could say more, but I don't know how much depth you want to my answers.

and really one cant be constantly worrying about whether the earth will move under your theory,treat it as valid, work with it, watch for anything that might falsify it.

Sure, but one shouldn't stick their head in the sand either, should they? It might make said scientist appear a bit, shall we say, dogmatic.

but do you know of people who are inclined to keep it as a wide open possibility that their religious views are totally mistaken down to the core?

I apply observations like this to people, not to any particular institution such as "science" or "religion." How seriously do you remain open that science is wrong "to the core?" Do you worry each day that scientific method may be the completely wrong way to observe the universe? After all, even scientific methods must start with an assumption, and those could be wrong. I doubt you think that way based on your earlier comment. Then why should I worry about my Christianity in that way?

In a philosophical discussion, given that human reason is the basis, and given that I can't put my experiences in your head, I'm forced to admit that theoretically there is the possibility that I'm wrong. And sure, I've had my doubts from time to time. But as "time" has progressed (aren't I clever for tying back to the OP at the end?) my doubts have vanished. For myself I no longer consider the possibility that God doesn't exist.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2010
Southern California
✟15,122.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The more i think about the universie and things like time dilation the more amazed i become. What is time? Why does it pass? Before time what was there? Outside our universe is there another mechanism that takes the place of time? Do things need to have a beginning and and end outside our universe?...If time is a property of the big bang, then maybe thats why we have so much confusion about where all the energy in the universe came from. Take out the aspect of time and it didnt need to come from anywhere!...I find time and how it can pass at different speeds for different people amazing.

From my understanding, the reason the issue of time is theorized as being "nonexistent" in our universe prior to the big bang is because, according to theory, prior to the big bang what later expanded to become our universe after the big bang existed in infinite density and heat in a space compressed down to nothing (mathematically speaking). The concept to research here is that of a singularity.

(wiki has an article on the concept of a graviational singularity including an additional, abbreviated article at the "simple" subdomain of wiki).

With that in tow, the math regarding the dimensions of a singularity suggest that time, as we know it, ceases to exist as does movement/space. This because the math behind it all suggests the smallest measurable units of time/space/gravity are Planck units. Inside of a planck unit of time or space, the theory is that time/movement no longer has any meaning. A planck unit is incredibly tiny - beyond comprehension if you ask me. :confused:

(wiki also has some articles on planck length, planck time and planck units - sorry I cannot post actual links yet - I don't have enough posts to be allowed to do that yet on this forum)

This also gives rise in theoretical physics to suggest it is possible that the universe exhibits basic granularity (think along the lines of digital). That really trips me out. :eek:

No one really knows what happens to space/time inside a singularity - the math suggests there is no meaningful concept of time or space within. But that is also saying our understanding of time and space become meaningless to us when dealing with temporal/spatial dimensions that are, mathematically speaking, not measurable (less than planck units in dimension).

In terms of a meaningful, measurable universe (our universe) space/time had a beginning and that started at that brief instance when the singularity expanded to and then beyond the limits of planck units. That brief instant when the singularity expanded to and then beyond the limits of planck units is called the "Planck Epoch" - the moment time and space in any meaningful way for us came into existence.

It is all pretty mind boggling.

On the other hand, time dilation and relativity are proven to be real and exist in measurable ways in our current state. For example, without accounting for relativity our entire GPS system would not work in any usable way. Look up "everyday example of relativity" on Google and use the link to see the thread(s) at Physicsforums - they give good example of how we need to take relativity into account in our everyday, practical experience.

The concept of linear time or an objective reality is really an illusion but it is the only model we have to work with so it is real to us. I am still trying to get my head around the idea that reality is hardly an objective thing. :confused:

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

In a philosophical debate, most scientists (and engineers) will admit that all theories are incomplete. But when it comes to actually doing something different, a common tactic is the "success" defense ... maybe the second most popular is the "parsimony" defense. I could say more, but I don't know how much depth you want to my answers.

Sure, but one shouldn't stick their head in the sand either, should they? It might make said scientist appear a bit, shall we say, dogmatic.

I apply observations like this to people, not to any particular institution such as "science" or "religion." How seriously do you remain open that science is wrong "to the core?" Do you worry each day that scientific method may be the completely wrong way to observe the universe? After all, even scientific methods must start with an assumption, and those could be wrong. I doubt you think that way based on your earlier comment. Then why should I worry about my Christianity in that way?

In a philosophical discussion, given that human reason is the basis, and given that I can't put my experiences in your head, I'm forced to admit that theoretically there is the possibility that I'm wrong. And sure, I've had my doubts from time to time. But as "time" has progressed (aren't I clever for tying back to the OP at the end?) my doubts have vanished. For myself I no longer consider the possibility that God doesn't exist.

Originally Posted by Hespera
I wonder why so many engineers are fundamentalists and so few scientists are. Any idea?
Originally posted by

Some reason you dont care to comment on why engineers are often fundies and scientists next to never are, other than to try to trun it back on me?

Resha
Everybody does.

In a philosophical debate, most scientists (and engineers) will admit that all theories are incomplete. But when it comes to actually doing something different, a common tactic is the "success" defense ... maybe the second most popular is the "parsimony" defense. I could say more, but I don't know how much depth you want to my answers
I know how this works, Why tho, use the word "admit", which generally connotes with something a person does not want to be forced to say.
A bit odd to call it 'defense" too,

Tho "doing something different" is so general, hard to say what you might mean...? But likeyou say, who does this..How seriously do you remain open that science is wrong "to the core?" Do you worry each day that scientific method may be the completely wrong way to observe the universe? Its just common sense not to..

even scientific methods must start with an assumption, and those could be wrong. I doubt you think that way based on your earlier comment. Then why should I worry about my Christianity in that way?
of course assumptions must be made, tho, its as bit of an equivocation if one is presenting that all assumptions are equal. if it suits uyou to enver think for a second that there might not be a god, or that if there is, Christianity has zero to do with it. thats your deal. i was just curious.
How seriously do you remain open that science is wrong "to the core?"
Not at all, but then, that is quite different from the simple yes / no of is there a god.

But as "time" has progressed (aren't I clever for tying back to the OP at the end?) my doubts have vanished. For myself I no longer consider the possibility that God doesn't exist.
I put in what is doubtless less time, to come to the opposite conclusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 5, 2010
Southern California
✟15,122.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
...I apply observations like this to people, not to any particular institution such as "science" or "religion." How seriously do you remain open that science is wrong "to the core?" Do you worry each day that scientific method may be the completely wrong way to observe the universe? After all, even scientific methods must start with an assumption, and those could be wrong. I doubt you think that way based on your earlier comment. Then why should I worry about my Christianity in that way?...
To be honest, if a theist were to simply state that belief is an act of pure faith, I don't really have any problems with that. I am not a theist, but that would be more honest.

The problem for me is when theists try to provide rational, empirical justifications for belief - in other words, to suggest there is ultimately a science that undergirds a belief in a god. It is problematic because, simply put, no one has provided a compelling argument using science to show simply that there is strong evidence for the existence of a god.

Intelligent design, for example, does a great job of collecting data that has come by centuries of observation but concludes, basically, that all of this would be impossible without an intelligent designer. I can respect that sentiment. But it means nothing without first proving the existence of such a god. The big leap of faith in intelligent design isn't accepting the data that already exists - that does not necessarily require faith. The big leap of faith is to assert it must be an intelligent creator god that designed all of this. Why? Being redundant here - no one has scientifically proven the existence of a god. All ID does, ultimately, is to take data and then say that all we do not understand about origins points to [G]od's hand. But that argument works ONLY when one first assumes the existence of a god.

That is the essential shortcoming of ID or apologetics in general, imho. I felt strongly about this even before I became agnostic. In seminary, I could not understand what some of my fellow seminarians planned to accomplish by engaging in apologetics in a way that confronts science.

Science and creationism work in reverse - which is why science will always cast doubt on faith (until the existence of a god is actually proven). Science remains open to being wrong and continually revises the models and theories it employs with new discovery (as a whole - stubborn people are stubborn people regardless of background). But the "assumptions" made in science are based on observed data and facts.

The "assumptions" made in science are not at all like the assumptions made in faith. Scientific theories are not equally based on they same sort of speculations as faith - not at all. Religion relies ultimately on pure faith to assert that there is a god and then to go on and try and prove things like the veracity of scripture (and in the case of Christianity - creationism). At the risk of sounding flippant here (which is not my intent) the following argumentative loop does not work in a scientific arena:

1. The complexity we see has to point to an intelligent designer.
2. That designer is God.
3. I know God exists and that God created the universe because the scriptures tell us God exists and that God created the universe.
4. I know the scriptures are true because God gave us the scriptures.
5. God would not lie.
6. I know God would not lie because the scriptures tell us God would not lie.
7. The scriptures cannot lie because God gave them to us.

Please don't get me wrong - my point here is not to ridicule or dismantle faith. I just think it is hilarious when people try and combine the two into some theory of everything. At this point in time, science cannot with any integrity employ theism to add to theory. The assumption there (that god must exist) has no evidence that has the same value as scientific observation. Which is why I think creationists should keep their views to the church and home. Hey - prove the existence of a god and I might return to "faith" although it would no longer be an issue of faith.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Some reason you dont care to comment on why engineers are often fundies and scientists next to never are, other than to try to trun it back on me?

To be honest, I'm much more interested in the OP on time. So maybe I was trying to cut this short. Regardless, it would be silly for me to comment on this. If I think about my anecdotal experiences with engineers, it seems to me that as a Christian I am in the minority. So, my experience doesn't agree with your statement. Do you have any data to back up this supposition of yours, or is your statement also based on anecdotal evidence?

of course assumptions must be made, tho, its as bit of an equivocation if one is presenting that all assumptions are equal.

I'll agree that has a nice, intuitive feel to it, but I'd challenge you to find any legitimate way to put it into practice. If we could rank our assumptions, it seems they wouldn't really be assumptions.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The problem for me is when theists try to provide rational, empirical justifications for belief - in other words, to suggest there is ultimately a science that undergirds a belief in a god. It is problematic because, simply put, no one has provided a compelling argument using science to show simply that there is strong evidence for the existence of a god.

I don't think I ever said anything of the kind. I'm not looking for science to prove God to me, nor do I use it to prove God to other people.

Intelligent design ...

Where did this come from? We were talking about time.

But the "assumptions" made in science are based on observed data and facts.

Uh. This is a mistaken understanding of what constitutes an assumption.

Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To be honest, if a theist were to simply state that belief is an act of pure faith, I don't really have any problems with that. I am not a theist, but that would be more honest.
I'm sure that would be very convenient, but belief in the existence of pyramid builders is faith.

The problem for me is when theists try to provide rational, empirical justifications for belief - in other words, to suggest there is ultimately a science that undergirds a belief in a god.
The fields overlap. This is simply a way of asking for phenomena which doesn't belong to you to be handed over.
It is problematic because, simply put, no one has provided a compelling argument using science to show simply that there is strong evidence for the existence of a god.
To show "strong evidence" for God in materialism it has to point to purely naturalistic unintelligent processes since anything which does not, is (strong) evidence for future naturalistic processes.

Intelligent design, for example, does a great job of collecting data that has come by centuries of observation but concludes, basically, that all of this would be impossible without an intelligent designer. I can respect that sentiment. But it means nothing without first proving the existence of such a god.
No it doesn't. A complex structure built 750 million years ago is evidence for a designer. Further, any evidence which points to god is deemed to be evidence for future purely naturalistic processes and evidence other than which is currently displayed is required. The process continues to repeat itself.

The big leap of faith in intelligent design isn't accepting the data that already exists - that does not necessarily require faith. The big leap of faith is to assert it must be an intelligent creator god that designed all of this.
Intelligent Design does not identify the designer. That's another field. It's as much of a leap of faith as identifying the designer of the great pyramid. With phenomena in it's varied forms, there is the obvious (light) and then there are the discoveries it furnishes (the nature of light, the speed of light, the travel of light through a vacuum). When dealing with God, there is the obvious (Man only one example) and then there are the mysteries and discoveries (the full nature of man, his relationship to the material etc). What materialism has grown into is so easily refuted it's not even funny. Some people might even think that there is some sort of catch, or that it cannot be that easy. Equivocating materialism with intelligence it is made even more suspicious, but the material mind and its will has no favorites or preferences and yes, it's that easy.

Why? Being redundant here - no one has scientifically proven the existence of a god.
To show evidence for God through physical science it has to be purely physical and point to the non-physical at the same time. Otherwise, it is what "we don't know".

All ID does, ultimately, is to take data and then say that all we do not understand about origins points to [G]od's hand.
It's not what we don't understand but what we do understand and discover. There are no purely naturalistic unintelligent processes capable of building these structures anyway. Intelligent Design does not identify the designer and the assumption that an understanding of man can only be derived from physical science is through assuming that it is the future possession for purely naturalistic processes.

But that argument works ONLY when one first assumes the existence of a god.
Intelligent Design does not identify the designer but the argument is conveniently pulled towards metaphysics in order to assert that it does not utilize physical data. Man, standing as what may be termed an "ancient artifact" is subject to inquiry based on intelligent design. The same for the great pyramid, pottery, stone tools, weapons, other buildings and everything else historical. The only problem is Intelligent Design is pre-ruled out from the scene and can conduct no investigations when it comes to man. A fearful gesture at best, but since the approval of materialists was never needed in the first place it is conducted anyways and has confirmed intelligent design.

Science and creationism work in reverse - which is why science will always cast doubt on faith (until the existence of a god is actually proven). Science remains open to being wrong and continually revises the models and theories it employs with new discovery (as a whole - stubborn people are stubborn people regardless of background). But the "assumptions" made in science are based on observed data and facts.
Rather than being late outgrowths through a material process, man is deemed as being a part of the beginning through creationism. Since the beginning is ultimately the end, and physical science is working its way to the end, it will always stumble upon where man has already been. Religion is through the loss of faculties, not the generation of theories since theories based on origins are made relevant through time's subjugation of man's current endowments. Historical science, which deals with origins using present data, will always base its assumptions and conclusions on physical processes since it is physical science. Further, they will always come in contact with historical artifacts such as man, texts etc and try to present theories where the use of historical texts is only as a template for the implications which are to be avoided in analyzing history. The preceding was creationism (which uses the work done in intelligent design) and not intelligent design.

The "assumptions" made in science are not at all like the assumptions made in faith.
The assumptions made in physical science regarding phenomena which lies outside its scope are faith based.

Scientific theories are not equally based on they same sort of speculations as faith - not at all. Religion relies ultimately on pure faith to assert that there is a god
As much of a faith as it requires to assert that there are pyramid builders. Materialism in this day and age has become so fixated and hardened that now, instead of being a philosophy that rebels against the doctrines handed down by pyramid builders, they now attempt to eradicate their existence altogether. That's going to be a problem since driven by pure emotion, the task taken up has not become entirely clear.

and then to go on and try and prove things like the veracity of scripture (and in the case of Christianity - creationism). At the risk of sounding flippant here (which is not my intent) the following argumentative loop does not work in a scientific arena:
Historical texts will not be laid aside. Not for a materialism.

1. The complexity we see has to point to an intelligent designer.
2. That designer is God.
3. I know God exists and that God created the universe because the scriptures tell us God exists and that God created the universe.
4. I know the scriptures are true because God gave us the scriptures.
5. God would not lie.
6. I know God would not lie because the scriptures tell us God would not lie.
7. The scriptures cannot lie because God gave them to us.
Intelligent design does not identify the designer. From 2 and on you jumped into aspects of metaphysics. You have the property of intelligence available through physical means as it overlaps. And you have physical man. You are asked for a purely naturalistic unintelligent process which is capable of building the integrated complexity found in man.

Please don't get me wrong - my point here is not to ridicule or dismantle faith.
With what? What exactly do you have which shows that man can arise through purely naturalistic unintelligent processes?
I just think it is hilarious when people try and combine the two into some theory of everything.
The fields inevitably overlap.
At this point in time, science cannot with any integrity employ theism to add to theory.
Intelligent Design does not identify the designer, so the implications bearing in on you personally has nothing to do with what is being outlined objectively. Historical science, which does employ the investigation of artifacts for intelligent causes, does identify the designer only if it is physical or has purely physical implications. Otherwise it cannot be evidence for the supernatural since it first does not have to point to future purely naturalistic processes.
The assumption there (that god must exist) has no evidence that has the same value as scientific observation.
As much of an assumption as the earth's magnetic field exists and the needle is evidence for the magnetic field. But of course you would have to read up on the properties of magnetism and it's relationship to the corresponding components within a compass. All this can be negated however since the prior assumption of magnetic fields is all that determines that magnetic fields exist and as a visibleist, there is no evidence for invisible magnetic fields.
Which is why I think creationists should keep their views to the church and home.
I'm sure that would make you happy. Bow down in fear and reverence and allow you what does not belong to you. Where it overlaps, it will be highlighted.

Hey - prove the existence of a god and I might return to "faith" although it would no longer be an issue of faith.

You're a materialist. Any evidence extends into infinity as future physical evidence. And it would still be an issue of faith. I have faith in pyramid builders simply because I am not an apyramidbuildersist. And the great pyramid is not evidence for future naturalistic processes. To deem that there is no evidence for pyramid builders is not the removal of the great pyramid or any naturalistic unintelligent process giving rise to it, but because I have a vendetta, and new commitment. It is not the availability of evidence that varies, but materialism overcoming the mind of the subject.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
To be honest, I'm much more interested in the OP on time. So maybe I was trying to cut this short. Regardless, it would be silly for me to comment on this. If I think about my anecdotal experiences with engineers, it seems to me that as a Christian I am in the minority. So, my experience doesn't agree with your statement. Do you have any data to back up this supposition of yours, or is your statement also based on anecdotal evidence?

I'll agree that has a nice, intuitive feel to it, but I'd challenge you to find any legitimate way to put it into practice. If we could rank our assumptions, it seems they wouldn't really be assumptions.

If I think about my anecdotal experiences with engineers, it seems to me that as a Christian I am in the minority. So, my experience doesn't agree with your statement

You could be a minority at 49 percent, so your experience ddoesnt relate to why fundamentalism is so much more common with engineers than scientists. If that fact is of interest to you, you can note it for yourself. i just asked if you had an opinion as to why it is, and i see you dont.

I'll agree that has a nice, intuitive feel to it, but I'd challenge you to find any legitimate way to put it into practice. If we could rank our assumptions, it seems they wouldn't really be assumptio
n

I will just copy what scom said rather than take my time to also state the obvious.

The "assumptions" made in science are not at all like the assumptions made in faith. Scientific theories are not equally based on they same sort of speculations as faith - not at all. Religion relies ultimately on pure faith to assert that there is a go

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The more i think about the universie and things like time dilation the more amazed i become. What is time? Why does it pass? Before time what was there? Outside our universe is there another mechanism that takes the place of time? Do things need to have a beginning and and end outside our universe?

If time is a property of the big bang, then maybe thats why we have so much confusion about where all the energy in the universe came from. Take out the aspect of time and it didnt need to come from anywhere!

I find time and how it can pass at different speeds for different people amazing.

Time is messed up. But in reality, it seems easy to reason that time is just an illusion. The idea that time is "progressing" independent of space is not true. If all the atoms in the universe stopped moving and remained stationary and in total equilibrium, would time still pass? How would you know?

Time is simply a measurement of the change of state of a system. Or, time is simply a measurement of increasing entropy. Supposing the universe is a closed system, then if the universe stopped changing internally, time would, for all intents and purposes, cease to exist.

If time stopped right now, we would not know because our brains would not function and there would no longer be a past or future to correlate with the infinitesimal "present". If there is no past or future, time has no meaning.

(On a side note: It is interesting that most children's memories start to develop around 3 years old. This is also the time in childhood development when children start to understand the concept of past and future events. Before that, no memories exist. Why? Perhaps because they are living in a timeless world where time simply doesn't exist but they are instead moving through a purely 3-dimensional "present" completely oblivious to the effects of 4-dimensional progress of linear time?)

I do find myself wondering if time is quantized though. Is there a "smallest change" that a system can undergo?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The more i think about the universie and things like time dilation the more amazed i become. What is time? Why does it pass? Before time what was there? Outside our universe is there another mechanism that takes the place of time? Do things need to have a beginning and and end outside our universe?

If time is a property of the big bang, then maybe thats why we have so much confusion about where all the energy in the universe came from. Take out the aspect of time and it didnt need to come from anywhere!

I find time and how it can pass at different speeds for different people amazing.

I honestly don't see time as a separate entity or property from the universe. I see time as an emergent process from the changes of state of the universe and not a requirement for things to occur.

Upvote 0