United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

So I’d like to add something onto a post of the same name like this.So,for someone like me,whenever I have questions I always,ALWAYS seek advice from a biblical perspective and mindset.So when I asked the question in the title,In google and read from Got Questions,I got the answer that says “if God wills us to read his word and we don’t it’s sin” and “if we don’t read his word because we are uninterested,the. We are guilty of the sin of apathy” what backed this up was James 4:17,I confess I have had for a long time the conviction to read the word but I stupidly and ignorantly have set it aside and haven’t paid it attention,and now I’m dead scared because of Hebrews 10:26,that I’m an apostate and worried that I’m condemned.I confess most of the time I do want to read the word but I lack motivation and discipline and get distracted,that however isn’t an excuse.here’s the link to that article

Is not reading the Bible a sin? | GotQuestions.org

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(I did not see Part 1.)
Is not reading the Bible a sin...?
It is not so much a sin as it is depriving yourself of ammo.

Jesus said of the Holy Spirit,
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will

• teach you all things, and
  • bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV
Whenever you read the Word, the Holy Spirit is able to remind you of what it says when you need Him to.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
“I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.”
― Martin Luther

It is good to spend time in the Scriptures. Even David wrote in Psalm 119:15-16
I will meditate on Your precepts and regard Your ways.
I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.

While some may consider it a sin of omission, there are other ways to set aside that time for prayer, reading and meditation. It may not always have to be the Scriptures but commentaries or listening to hymns and songs that give us time to reflect.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

So I’d like to add something onto a post of the same name like this.So,for someone like me,whenever I have questions I always,ALWAYS seek advice from a biblical perspective and mindset.So when I asked the question in the title,In google and read from Got Questions,I got the answer that says “if God wills us to read his word and we don’t it’s sin” and “if we don’t read his word because we are uninterested,the. We are guilty of the sin of apathy” what backed this up was James 4:17,I confess I have had for a long time the conviction to read the word but I stupidly and ignorantly have set it aside and haven’t paid it attention,and now I’m dead scared because of Hebrews 10:26,that I’m an apostate and worried that I’m condemned.I confess most of the time I do want to read the word but I lack motivation and discipline and get distracted,that however isn’t an excuse.here’s the link to that article

Are some parts of the Bible more important than other parts of the Bible? If I read “Thou shall not kill.” 100 times, will reading it one more time be good enough? Sometimes I prayed what should I do? Once I got an answer, “Read James.” After I read it, I realized I should give a bigger tip to the grocery delivery driver. I felt good about giving more than the recommended tip.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Probably, yeah. I don't read through Bible as often as I should and it probably upsets God greatly.

Sin is rebellion against God and God tells you all the time to read the scriptures. Not reading it as often as you should would be open rebellion yes?

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

The fact that you sinned yesterday does not mean you cannot have forgiveness today. Live in today... today if you hear his voice - harden not your heart..

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Tha
The fact that you sinned yesterday does not mean you cannot have forgiveness today. Live in today... today if you hear his voice - harden not your heart..
Thanks Bob and thank you Sabre,thank you neostar,Greek orthodox,and dq!

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I’d also like to add that I haven’t read the word in weeks and I’m scared that I’m an apostate for sinning for not listening to the conviction to read the word.it’s stemming from Hebrews 10:26…..

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi everyone,

You yourself admit to the use of Scripture to answer your questions. So answer this one by Scripture!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is not reading the bible a sin..hmm are we talking after all the books/letters got put into one aka the BIBLE? What about before bible? Before after Christ who carried around the Torah? Did they back then come together to hear the word? But today its "ok" not to go to Church to hear gather together in His name?

Though many will try to answer this they can not. For me not to read the word is no sin. There is no other way to get faith but by hearing the word of God. And faith is the only way to please Him. So we find out more about ourselves don't we. So be it verse or chapters.. just read it. Do I fail to read it? Father forgive me.. countless times. Every time not once was my life better but worse. Its His word that brings faith and is His armor. Its only to help us or its easy for Satan who 24/7 is trying to kill steal and destroy us. So the farther we are away from the Father helps the enemy.

Heb 10:26 basically meaning its finished. Saved Jews would sin then try to go back and offer a sacrifice for that sin. There is no more sacrifice for that sin. Christ can not die again. OT that sin was just covered and remembered. But when Christ died.. its gone and the Father remembers it no more forever. Its Satan and some believers and man that toss our past our mistakes in our face. Yet Christ already died. So to willfully sin is to KNOW Christ died for your sins..to then drop that bible do a 180 and walk away. To go back to your old nature.. rejecting what Christ did for you.

See even though we are a new creation old things are passed off and all things become new.. the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness we still live in this flesh that LOVES to sin. We just repent not focus on the sin but Him. I shared it many times.. to only see my win 24/7 and to read in the margin how if my heart convicts me I will never get anything from God. I told Him I quit since my heart convicts me 24/7 of sin. I was going to quit. He simply asked right there "what is righteousness?" Right standing with God I answered. He then asked "how do you get righteousness?" I said by believing in Jesus.. something happened.. it was like being blind then you can see.

Look how GOD answered that. He only told me truth only told me what He can see. I am standing right now in right standing with my Father.. I love the song playing "Holy holy Holy holy Holy holy Lord almighty worthy worthy worthy worthy worthy worthy" sorry.. its praise to the FATHER..oh LOVE IT!

So what you do is what we ALL DO! Get up dust off accept Believe what Christ did for you was enough and that you can not add to or take away.. its ALL HIM! And forgive yourself and rejoice! HE does not condemn you when you fall.. HIs arms are open He has a smile on His face.. THATS the reason He died! You could NEVER do it.. He has such great love for you that you will NEVER understand till this is over. Your in His hands His hands are in the Fathers.. your ok :)

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is not reading the bible a sin..hmm are we talking after all the books/letters got put into one aka the BIBLE? What about before bible? Before after Christ who carried around the Torah? Did they back then come together to hear the word? But today its "ok" not to go to Church to hear gather together in His name?

Though many will try to answer this they can not. For me not to read the word is no sin. There is no other way to get faith but by hearing the word of God. And faith is the only way to please Him. So we find out more about ourselves don't we. So be it verse or chapters.. just read it. Do I fail to read it? Father forgive me.. countless times. Every time not once was my life better but worse. Its His word that brings faith and is His armor. Its only to help us or its easy for Satan who 24/7 is trying to kill steal and destroy us. So the farther we are away from the Father helps the enemy.

Heb 10:26 basically meaning its finished. Saved Jews would sin then try to go back and offer a sacrifice for that sin. There is no more sacrifice for that sin. Christ can not die again. OT that sin was just covered and remembered. But when Christ died.. its gone and the Father remembers it no more forever. Its Satan and some believers and man that toss our past our mistakes in our face. Yet Christ already died. So to willfully sin is to KNOW Christ died for your sins..to then drop that bible do a 180 and walk away. To go back to your old nature.. rejecting what Christ did for you.

See even though we are a new creation old things are passed off and all things become new.. the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness we still live in this flesh that LOVES to sin. We just repent not focus on the sin but Him. I shared it many times.. to only see my win 24/7 and to read in the margin how if my heart convicts me I will never get anything from God. I told Him I quit since my heart convicts me 24/7 of sin. I was going to quit. He simply asked right there "what is righteousness?" Right standing with God I answered. He then asked "how do you get righteousness?" I said by believing in Jesus.. something happened.. it was like being blind then you can see.

Look how GOD answered that. He only told me truth only told me what He can see. I am standing right now in right standing with my Father.. I love the song playing "Holy holy Holy holy Holy holy Lord almighty worthy worthy worthy worthy worthy worthy" sorry.. its praise to the FATHER..oh LOVE IT!

So what you do is what we ALL DO! Get up dust off accept Believe what Christ did for you was enough and that you can not add to or take away.. its ALL HIM! And forgive yourself and rejoice! HE does not condemn you when you fall.. HIs arms are open He has a smile on His face.. THATS the reason He died! You could NEVER do it.. He has such great love for you that you will NEVER understand till this is over. Your in His hands His hands are in the Fathers.. your ok :)
Thank you Blade!,may I ask how I can speak with the Lord in the same way you did?

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think that just reading and reading something even the Bible won't do you any good if you can't apply what is said in it to your life. Ignorance of what is in the Bible is no excuse but on the other hand knowing the Bible well but not having the wisdom to use what is in it won't help either. I think a balance is needed and personalities differ some I think can over read the Bible and plainly end up trying to understand everything in it and get overwhelmed. Focusing on the basics till you understand and are comfortable with it is a good thing. I think that if you feel you need to read the Bible then do so, but sometimes it can help to find problems in your life and others lives and then consider wht the Bible has to offer in advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums