Is messianic Judaism a religion founded on scripture or not?

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The only non-jewish person who wrote two books in scripture was doctor Luke who after believing in Yahshua became a convert to Judaism.
How could he convert? His belief would preclude the possibility of conversion to Judaism. That is what I don't understand.

Reactions: yedida
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Nazarene sect"
Acts 24:5 “We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of the Nazarene sect"
the "Way" sect
Acts 24:14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,
living as a Pharisee "sect"
Acts 26:5 They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee.

Paul would've been cool with associating the Nazarene sect with the Christian one...and for scriptures:

Acts 11:26
and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.
Acts 11:25-27

Acts 26:27-29 / Acts 26
27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know you do.”

28 Then Agrippa said to Paul, “Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?”

29 Paul replied, “Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains.”

Peter would've been good as well:

1 Peter 4:15-17 / 1 Peter 4
15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sounds like it.....although his post is confusing because my understanding
is that Messianics that are Jews do not follow the Talmud either.

My understanding is that some definitely do follow Talmud, many don't.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
How could he convert? His belief would preclude the possibility of conversion to Judaism. That is what I don't understand.

Before the split between Jews and gentiles, before 70AD especially in Jerusalem, that was what some of the Jews that were following Yeshua and His disciples thought. The group was known as the Way and thought of as just a sect among Judaism. It was commonly thought that these gentile people should go through formal conversion to become believers in the Way.

Upvote 0

A_Pioneer

Veteran
Mar 5, 2005
✟17,459.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
In Matthew 2 the scripture says He dwelt in Nazareth so that the scripture might be fulfilled, He shall be called a Nazarene.

I know if you lived in the town of Nazareth you are called a Nazarene, however that is not what was implied in Matthew 2.

The prophesy spoken of is not literally found in the "old testament", if you wish you can go search for it and you'll never find it. However, Isaiah 11:1 speaks about the branch that will sprout from rod. The Hebrew word for branch is Natser. This word shares the same root word with Natsari/Nazarene. Only a pun in hebraic thought.

A Jew knows that one produces after its own kind, thus Yahshua being that branch/Natser/Natsari/Nazarene would logically produce such a group. Thus those who believed in Yahshua were known as those from the Nazarene sect.
As stated before, the words were put in HIS mouth! The precepts of men.
He did quote Isaiah, teaching as doctrine the precepts of men.
If he ever called himself a Nazarene, show me!

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Belief in a messiah only became a problem with Jews after Yahshua's time, and only when it concerns him. Rabbi Akiva supported bar Kosiba as messiah and renamed him bar Kokhba. Some today still revere the rabbi who passed away a few years ago as messiah.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Belief in a messiah only became a problem with Jews after Yahshua's time, and only when it concerns him. Rabbi Akiva supported bar Kosiba as messiah and renamed him bar Kokhba. Some today still revere the rabbi who passed away a few years ago as messiah.

Schneerson? Some think he may have been a closet believer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Shalom
Thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood my question.
We first need to determine what the original faith of the apostles were.
Were they Christians or what?

The original apostles were all Jews, including Matthew. They were never anything else, and did not become anything else.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Rabbi Akiva supported bar Kosiba as messiah and renamed him bar Kokhba.
Oh sure, there have been many false messiahs over the lifetime of Judaism.

Some today still revere the rabbi who passed away a few years ago as messiah.
That would be The Rebbe, Menachem Schneerson. Only some Lubavitchers
believe he was the moshiach, the Rebbe never promoted himself as such
and this belief is not found outside of Lubavitch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some people believe a lot of things but they are wrong.

Perhaps, I spoke too soon, and this is not the one I was thinking of. The one I was thinking about left a coded message as to who the Messiah is. Was this not Schneerson? If it wasn't, I apologize.

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Before the split between Jews and gentiles, before 70AD especially in Jerusalem, that was what some of the Jews that were following Yeshua and His disciples thought. The group was known as the Way and thought of as just a sect among Judaism. It was commonly thought that these gentile people should go through formal conversion to become believers in the Way.
Yedida,
I came in late this p.m., but what texts support formal gentile conversion?:confused:

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps, I spoke too soon, and this is not the one I was thinking of. The one I was thinking about left a coded message as to who the Messiah is. Was this not Schneerson? If it wasn't, I apologize.

Oh, that happened a few years ago....don't remember the rav's name
but it was evident he wasn't a "secret" believer :)

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yedida,
I came in late this p.m., but what texts support formal gentile conversion?:confused:[/quot]

I'm not sure I understand your question. The places in Acts where the Jews were wanting the gentiles to get circumcised. In Paul's letters where he teaches against the need for circumcision to believe.

Upvote 0