Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
be careful that you do not just start justifying your actions. that is a sign of someone decensitized to sin. if when you started out, your conscience bothered you, you may have seared your conscience after years of doing this activity. I almost did too. now the thought of going back absolutely disgusts me. the issue of conscience is an interesting one.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
however, I still think that immodesty is a stumbling block, at least for those who are already addicted to such sins. we are meant to cover ourselves, we were given clothes for a reason. it talks about a son looking upon his father's nakedness in the old testament, and I believe the son was cursed because of it. there are dress codes in the Bible. but the most important thing is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and your neighbor as yourself. I don't want to cause anyone else to stumble, and I could fight for my rights to do so, however, if it causes someone else to stumble I am no longer walking in love.

Romans 14:14-17 14I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the LORD Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,

You know what I mean, in some of those extreme sharia countries, they don't allow women to have their faces uncovered (burka).

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone know of even one bible verse that specifically says it is a sin?

I am not talking about lusting after another.

What if you are married and you touch?

I think people are extremely legalistic about this subject unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to ask you some serious questions, and I want you to really think about them, and be willing to give yourself an answer you don't like. and pray about it while you reflect on it, for God to reveal the truth to you. and just know that I ask these not for my benefit or point, but for yours, I wish someone asked me this list a while ago, and that I stopped to give myself a true answer.

have you prayed about it? and, not in an accusatory way at all, I don't know your story. have you ever been filled with the Holy Spirit? either at belief or later? Do you have the blessed assurance of His Holy Spirit living in you, and a difference that you can compare between before you received Him and when you did receive Him? are you living in other sin? does the Bible still speak to you when you read it? and do you feel like this action gets in the way of following God with all of your heart? and do you think that He called you to give it up at some point in time, and you did not want to give it up? you don't have to answer on the forum if you don't want to, but it is good to self reflect. be truthful at least to yourself.
and I am not accusing either, or trying to start an argument brother, just to clarify that again.

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone know of even one bible verse that specifically says it is a sin?

I am not talking about lusting after another.

What if you are married and you touch?

I think people are extremely legalistic about this subject unnecessarily.
No, they don't. I've seen multiple scriptures stating fornication and adultery are sinful, but never have I seen one on masturbation. A lot of people like to try and read "between the lines" and find something that isn't there. I've even seen people at times try to use Onan from the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Masturbation is in the least unclean...

And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even. And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even. - Leviticus 16:16-17

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Masturbation is in the least unclean...

And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even. And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even. - Leviticus 16:16-17
I agree, however that isn't equated as sinful. Leviticus also mentions a woman having her menstrual cycle as unclean. They were just commanded to wash anything that it touched.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I agree, however that isn't equated as sinful. Leviticus also mentions a woman having her menstrual cycle as unclean. They were just commanded to wash anything that it touched.
If I had to pick between masturbation, fornication, or adultery I would go with the masturbation. There are some times and places in life where the flesh wins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I've seen this asked multiple times when searching for an answer. For me? No, I do not require visual or mental aid.

99% of people need the aid. I have heard that some do not, which I can entertain. However, for an honest answer, I would refer to post #3.

To be fair, no sin is better than the other, but please don't beat yourself up about this issue while you reconcile it with your Father. Be as honest with Him as you are with anyone you trust.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes, unclean, as in not glamorous. Talking about masturbation and the menstrual cycle are unclean topics and are not pretty. We must deal with our flesh privately and the best we know how and if anyone condemn us raise our hands and tell them we do our best and prayers are appreciated.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. - Romans 8

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟405,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I’m not quite sure if I’m posting in the correct area because I’m new to the site and forums in general, but here we go. I’m a 17 year old boy and lately I have been curious about this issue in the church. I would tend to lean more towards it NOT being sinful. However, I’m open to having my mind changed. I’ve researched this quite a bit and gathered various answers from both sides of the debate. Most answers I’ve gathered against masturbation involve scripture twisting or just aren’t logically sound (at least that is how I see them). I’ve asked my parents and pastors with no real answer. Obviously living in the United States, I cannot get married legally unless I have parental consent (I do not). So Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7:9 doesn’t help since our cultures are different. So, that said, what are your thoughts?
Be careful not to be searching for what your itching ears want to hear vs what you know to be right. I was like you too once, and to be honest I was deceived for a time to think that masturbation was ok, but something deep down kept nudging at me telling me it wasn’t.

I’ll never forget the day I decided to not continue in that action. I was outside of a classroom about to take a test, and I thought to myself something along the lines of, “If I’m wrong about this masturbation issue, it’s just not worth the risk of that being the case, so I will just decide to not do this any more.”

And I kid you not I felt so blessed at that very moment, it was as if God and His angels were acknowledging that I had made the right decision. I don’t want you to fall into the same trap I was in. You say you did your research, well I’m assuming that just means you read the same articles on the internet that I did, especially the ones that made excuses for why they thought masturbation was not a sin. Don’t listen to them, they’re wrong and they’re just trying to justify it.

All the sex is meant for marriage aside, and the fact that masturbation is recreating a thing that is meant for two people, and those two people to be married aside as well, you know that if you were to stand before Jesus and His throne and justify that what you did was ok, those people who wrote those articles justifying, and even people here on Christian forums that might say it is ok, none of them will be there to defend you. I think you’ll agree you’ll have a hard time justifying those actions before Jesus.

Now look at that verse you posted about how it’s better to get married than to burn with lust, are you saying you can’t wait one more year to get married? Jacob waited for seven years to marry Rachel, don’t you think you can wait till you’re married too?

Now that I’ve told you I believe it’s a sin I want you to know I really do emphathize with you because as a 27 year old male who also wants to get married someday it’s not always easy being single, but some role models such as Paul and Jesus who were single showed me that it’s not impossible to live life as a single person, and in your case you very well may get married, and I hope it’s to a wonderful person. So why not wait, and until that day ask God for the strength to resist any temptations that may come your way.

That is all. If you can take anything away from this it is that I hope you really consider if it’s worth the momentary pleasure with the possibility that what you’re doing is wrong. I personally know it’s wrong especially from accounts of people who have had experiences of being shown Hell by Jesus and people that ended up there for things like masturbation. It’s just not worth it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have heard it said that people preach the hardest against what they are guilty of the most. Thinking also back on Swaggert, Gorman, and Bakker, who were throwing stones against one another, but all engaged in the same vile activity.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,081,290.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
9 ....Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. - Matthew 19

All men cannot handle celibacy, which being as defined, "the state of abstaining from marriage and sexual relations."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.