Ο άγγελος του υποκόσμου
Aug 25, 2012
Dallas, Texas
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly. It really is more a matter of personal choice, if someone doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. But I find that's rarely the case.
It has more to do with social conditioning than anything else. Very few Christians understand the difference between guilt and conviction. That's why so many people believe a different way concerning these matters.

As I said above, sin is the TRESPASSING of God's law. Who are humans to decide what God has forbade, when God himself has not addressed the situation in the first place? That in itself is more an indication of self-idolatry than masturbation could ever be.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I would have to strongly disagree with the majority of posts upon this thread. Nowhere in the bible will you find anything that explicitly tells us that masturbation is sinful. The section in Genesis which is often quoted in reality can only be used in this argument when twisted. The act itself cannot be deemed sinful from a biblical perspective, it is about as sinful functionally as eating some chocolate. However the associated mental actions can be considered morally questionable. The Bible does tell us that lust is sinful when there is an icon upon which this lust fall on and builds upon. So I would argue that masturbation using the lust over another outside of a marital relationship is sinful. However masturbation as a function is not.

Upvote 0

GodActsOnMe

Scientificum Christianus
Aug 6, 2012
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, since you don't believe what The Word of God says, then you rebel against God which is a Sin. It doesn't matter what YOUR reasons why YOU find it acceptable are, when the Word of God says something else. That is Prideful. Lust is part of human evolution? What do you mean by evolution? Evolutionism? It's not biblical, since God created us in his own image, and he wasn't a monkey, and he doesn't need to use evolution. We don't evolve from humans to apes. The Word of God refutes the Lie of Evolution. Lust is of the flesh (our sinful nature). Something that entered the World when Adam sinned (Rom 5:12).

The only problem is this: Your beliefs in the Bible are subjective. All our beliefs vary from degree to degree, so no one is to dictate who is believing more "correctly".

The word of God also does not mention conveniences like electricity, computing, and inoculation. Are you prepared to throw your computer away in the name of God?

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
San Fernando Valley, California
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[staff edit] The bible says sinful thoughts lead to sin, but does not forbid them, only frowns upon them. How can anyone therefore jump to the conclusion that because it leads to sin, it is therefore sin? I think the time to worry is when you're about to commit acts of lust and adultery. I could not bring myself to engage in any sexual activity with someone whom I wasn't married to. I just could not do it, because in my mind I would be thinking how wrong it is and would be unable to enjoy whatever pleasure someone else with no moral guide would be.

However I like many people use masturbation as an outlet for these feelings. It is not hurting anyone and I personally believe that is what most defined sin is spelled out to prevent. God doesn't want us to hurt each other, that's why 6 of the 10 commandments are focused on our interactions with each other, and only 4 are focused on God and our relationship with him. We can harm each other in far more ways then we can harm God.

Since it is not defined as sin and is only interpreted as such by some people because in their interpretation it ALWAYS leads to it, I do not believe that it is as horrible and wicked as everyone makes it out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the time to worry is when you're about to commit acts of lust and adultery.

Matthew 5:27-28

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 5:27-28

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Then every male who has ever gone through puberty has committed adultery and is damned to Hell. Might as well touch while you still can.

Upvote 0

UnionJack

Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
✟16,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The sole act of masturbation itself is not a sin, because the bible does not say it is a sin.

However, many things associated with it are sinful, such as lustful thoughts or addiction. So when you do it, you are flirting with temptation and temptation to sin....not to mention that the main reason its done in the first place is to satisfy a sinful lustful desire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then every male who has ever gone through puberty has committed adultery and is damned to Hell. Might as well touch while you still can.

Jesus Christ was making the point that we are all, by our sinful nature, damned to Hell. Only by grace through faith in Him can we be saved. That being said, after you're saved, sin remains sin, and you should feel compelled to avoid it.

Upvote 0

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is only a sin if you believe you should not "spill your seed," which would include not using contraceptives. So if you don't believe in this, which I don't, I do not see masturbation as a sin. It is far better than the alternative.

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is only a sin if you believe you should not "spill your seed," which would include not using contraceptives. So if you don't believe in this, which I don't, I do not see masturbation as a sin. It is far better than the alternative.

The problem arises though when women come into the picture. People often associate masturbation only with men, and therefore only think men can commit a "sin" of masturbation via spilling seed. Women cannot spill seed, and if you wish to count menstruation, they have no choice in the matter. Neither do men, seed will spill without a man causing it to happen, wet dreams are just a part of life, and if not, it is reabsorbed into the body, ultimately resulting in the death of sperm.

Here's another hard one for those of you who think lustful thoughts are sin. Is a man guilty of sin when he dreams about sexual encounters with a woman and releases sperm as a result? If so, how do you figure dreams are your subconscious that you have no control over, and what separates them from conscious thoughts, are they not thoughts, or are we dividing subconscious and conscious thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem arises though when women come into the picture. People often associate masturbation only with men, and therefore only think men can commit a "sin" of masturbation via spilling seed. Women cannot spill seed, and if you wish to count menstruation, they have no choice in the matter. Neither do men, seed will spill without a man causing it to happen, and if not, it is reabsorbed into the body, ultimately resulting in the death of sperm.
The point I was trying to make was by everyone quoting the passage of spilling the seed, to justify the demonetization of masturbation, what I meant to express was that unless you don't believe in any sort of contraceptive, that argument is invalid.

Upvote 0

rochie545

Born Again Christian
Sep 4, 2012
panabo City, Davao del Norte, Mindanao, Philippine
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
haha. i think it is a sin. i recalled the time my mom taught in sunday school. masturbating is a sin. but as human it's just a nature that men do masturbating. but like of this age it is quite prohibited

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
haha. i think it is a sin. i recalled the time my mom taught in sunday school. masturbating is a sin. but as human it's just a nature that men do masturbating. but like of this age it is quite prohibited

Do please show us where it says in the good book, where it is defined as a sin. I can find no such verses.

Upvote 0

rochie545

Born Again Christian
Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do please show us where it says in the good book, where it is defined as a sin. I can find no such verses.

i don't know. but what I know is it is a sin. just ask God why. cause it is said in Deuteronomy that our God is sovereign God. He knows all the answer even if the bible does not tells us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

meredithraven

lover of life
Sep 2, 2012
South Carolina
Visit site
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
i don't know. but what I know is it is a sin. just ask God why. cause it is said in Deuteronomy that our God is sovereign God. He knows all the answer even if the bible does not tells us.

This is why a lot of people don't like Christians, because they just say their beliefs are those of Christ without any scripture to back it up. :doh:

Upvote 0

rochie545

Born Again Christian
Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, in my own opinion. it is written in the bible that our body is God's temple and called church. if you touch then you disgust the church which is your body.

yes, a lot of people don`t like christians. but most of the people likes christians. haha i have a friend, He's a seventh day adventist member. he's asking me about our doctrines and belief. whatever! . haha i prefer not to debate. i respect every individuals and beliefs. :D

Upvote 0

rochie545

Born Again Christian
Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
✟15,185.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
its a sin perhaps. because it contains lust which very unpleasing to the Lord. the bible told us not to be equally yoked with the world cause there are many temptations and one of it is perversion. many scriptures explained that this sinful and perverse world does not belong in God's favor. just overcome the world my friends and do not touch. haha

Upvote 0