USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Solomon said many times that there is strength in knowledge. But he includes the need for wisdom, understanding and much wise counsel.

God has given us an inborn curiosity...a desire to learn and be progressive. When we turn that curiosity toward Him and His ways, then we can learn and grow in Him.

But when knowledge itself becomes our pursuit, then is it not power we're really seeking? If we could sum up the exponentially increasing knowledge of mankind, would it really give us any power?

And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2: 1-5

Sometimes, I think we've let our knowledge and wisdom become our power. We fashion touching sermons and wonderful teachings all from the seat of our own knowledge. We may even bear fruit when we do that...but how sad if the faith of our fruit is established in our own wisdom and knowledge.

Knowledge puffs one up, and apart from wisdom, understanding and much wise counsel, it is a very dangerous thing.

ShammahBenJudah

Son of Zion
Oct 31, 2006
USA
✟73,073.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been searching this for myself a bit recently, and I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with what I saw.

It seems to me that approval is a pretty big deal to us. If we're not careful, we can strive for knowledge in order to get the approval of men. But when the approval of men is our motivation for gaining the knowledge, it will also motivate our use of it.

Even when the words of our message are filled with truth, the impotent power of our craving for approval cries out, "Look at Me! See how smart and wise I am." And all our best efforts become vanity before the Lord.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Perhaps it is better to find our approval in Him.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don’t see knowledge as being power, because knowledge doesn’t change our lives. But, we do know that if we reject knowledge and understanding WHO HE IS and WHAT HE EXPECTS OF US can be extremely dangerous, because His Word says, “we will perish”.

How many times He has asked us to study His Word that we can become: capable and proficient, and fully prepared; knowing His Word, and applying it to our daily life. And that can only come from knowledge and understanding.

Through the knowledge of His Word, becomes our standard for testing everything else that claims to be true, and it’s our safeguard against false teachers who deceive themselves and deceives others, as well. His Word is our source of guidance of knowledge and understanding for how we should live, and our purpose.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see knowledge as being power, because knowledge doesn’t change our lives. But, we do know that if we reject knowledge and understanding WHO HE IS and WHAT HE EXPECTS OF US can be extremely dangerous, because His Word says, “we will perish”.

How many times He has asked us to study His Word that we can become: capable and proficient, and fully prepared; knowing His Word, and applying it to our daily life. And that can only come from knowledge and understanding.

Through the knowledge of His Word, becomes our standard for testing everything else that claims to be true, and it’s our safeguard against false teachers who deceive themselves and deceives others, as well. His Word is our source of guidance of knowledge and understanding for how we should live, and our purpose.

i read this and agree that it not only knowing the Word but applying it to our everyday lives in our Christian lives which is important

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Knowledge is power. If I don't have the knowledge to wash my hands after going to the toilet, before I eat lunch. I will spend a great deal of my life very sick, as will my children and we will no doubt all die a very eary death after living a very lousy life.

Without the knowledge that there is a creator God who loves me and whom i can have a relationship with I will be seduced by evil spirits into serving them. In the above scenario, not knowing that soap and water is the cure needed for much of my miserable life, I will give myself, my children and any wealth that I may be able to acquire to appease the evil spirits that are making me sick.

So yes knowledge is power.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. Knowledge is power. If I don't have the knowledge to wash my hands after going to the toilet, before I eat lunch. I will spend a great deal of my life very sick, as will my children and we will no doubt all die a very eary death after living a very lousy life.

Without the knowledge that there is a creator God who loves me and whom i can have a relationship with I will be seduced by evil spirits into serving them. In the above scenario, not knowing that soap and water is the cure needed for much of my miserable life, I will give myself, my children and any wealth that I may be able to acquire to appease the evil spirits that are making me sick.

Ya know Deba,I know I am an your block list,and maybe you just dont care for me,whatever,..
and please forgive me If I have offended you somewhere,I am sorry..:)

But I got to say sis,you have Got to realize God does not want you to live your life running scared that you will run off following deceptive spirits...

You are a servant of the MOST HIGHT GOD!:clap:

And when we realize we are kept by grace,that brings rest!:thumbsup:

Fear and stress come when we think it is all up to us,
because we know secretly we are frail.and that is true!

But thats why there is grace!

We then can be confident in Him,because it is NOT us..

We can trust God..not us..

see what I am trying to say?.....:)

This is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it! 1 Peter 5:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ya know Deba,I know I am an your block list,and maybe you just dont care for me,whatever,..
and please forgive me If I have offended you somewhere,I am sorry..:)

But I got to say sis,you have Got to realize God does not want you to live your life running scared that you will run off following deceptive spirits...

You are a servant of the MOST HIGHT GOD!:clap:

And when we realize we are kept by grace,that brings rest!:thumbsup:

Fear and stress come when we think it is all up to us,
because we know secretly we are frail.and that is true!

But thats why there is grace!

We then can be confident in Him,because it is NOT us..

We can trust God..not us..

see what I am trying to say?.....:)

This is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it! 1 Peter 5:12

What????:confused: Blocked and let all your wisdom go unread - I must have missed the post where you wasn't so nice - can't believe that.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Talking about knowledge is wisdom - they must be talking about individual wisdom - because when you gather up hudreds of people and call them leaders - where is the wisdom - they are certainly lacking knowledge. I know this isn't nice - but I am so disappointed in the rules that are being forced on us that I don't respect our leaders right now. Forcing us to accept things that the Bible clearly says are sins - that is not wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm reminded of Isa. 33:6, "And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times...." Knowledge is a stabilizing force, except when it is not mixed with temperance. Without temperance, one becomes puffed up, thinking himself more highly than he ought.

Dave

Upvote 0

Deba

Jul 8, 2007
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I'm reminded of Isa. 33:6, "And wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times...." Knowledge is a stabilizing force, except when it is not mixed with temperance. Without temperance, one becomes puffed up, thinking himself more highly than he ought.

Dave

:thumbsup:Concur. Reps.

Upvote 0

GrapeGirl

Freakin' ray of sunshyne
May 7, 2008
Nacogdoches, TX
✟17,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say yes. An example: I suck at math. I can do single digit addition, using my fingers for the bigger numbers. I can multiply by some single digits. Anything more than that I cannot do. I missed way too much school growing up and did way too much drugs and drinking. So now as a 24 year old, I have trouble finding a job, and also have to deal with people thinking I'm stupid. (Even my brother and sister laugh at me now that I'm studying math at home with Danny... it's very hurtful). I can do money, because I have a lot of experience with cash registers.... but I will never get more than a $6/hr job if I don't learn math. In this case, knowledge is power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Nah, washing your hands as a kid was training, if you didn't wash your hands before meals, you got a clip behind the ear---didn't you? Now, that is training---not knowledge.:)

Upvote 0

Deba

Jul 8, 2007
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Nah, washing your hands as a kid was training, if you didn't wash your hands before meals, you got a clip behind the ear---didn't you? Now, that is training---not knowledge.:)

So your mom had no knowledge? What did she have? Just an irrestible desire to clip you one behind the ear?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fruit of Knowledge: Psalm 94:12 Blessed is the man you discipline, O LORD, the man you teach from your law

Knowledge of the mystery is having the reality of an experience of knowing God personally and consciously. God's GRACE is so powerful which gave me knowledge. Knowledge itself is not powerful but through God's Grace and Holy Spirit, my knowledge is powerful. A wise believer will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. The one true sign of discipleship is intimate oneness with Him— a knowledge of Jesus that nothing can shake.

2 Peter 1:3: His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

There is head knowledge, head and heart and just heart knowledge. In knowing God (not just about Him) the heart must be involved. A.W. Tozer

To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom. Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

I've been searching this for myself a bit recently, and I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled with what I saw.

It seems to me that approval is a pretty big deal to us. If we're not careful, we can strive for knowledge in order to get the approval of men. But when the approval of men is our motivation for gaining the knowledge, it will also motivate our use of it.

Even when the words of our message are filled with truth, the impotent power of our craving for approval cries out, "Look at Me! See how smart and wise I am." And all our best efforts become vanity before the Lord.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

Perhaps it is better to find our approval in Him.
I for one could care less for the approval of men. As for understanding the word say's 1 Cor. 2;16 "But we have the mind of Christ". So if other don't what to believe it thats there problem. I SAY YES TO THE THINGS OF GOD AND TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.