Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
like go from one church to another. Say theres several different congreagations in your area. You want to try them all. How will you know if you dont try?
Or are you just meant to always stay in one church forever.

Or is it only wrong to church hop according to the pastor. If you pledged as a member do you have to keep that pledge? What if you didnt?

What it theres an issue with a church member or a teaching, or the pastor or preachers preach correct doctrine but dont actually practise what they preach?

Who really wants to stay where they not wanted and dont belong?

• Prayers
Reactions: LoricaLady

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if you'd call me a "hopper", but I have been a member of at least 5 churches over the past 19 years. For me, doctrine is king. If a church is clearly teaching/practicing against what the Bible teaches I won't darken its doorstep. Or if I'm already in and then find that out, then I'll leave.

Of course, the more you hop the less likely it is that you'll form deep relationships with anyone in a church, but maybe that's not high on your priority list. I want to form relationships, but not at the expense of sound doctrine. Also, if you don't feel welcome after giving it an honest chance (some churches are cliquish) then you probably are smart to take your business elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Been a christian 5 years..regularly attended 2. Have visited probably a dozen different ones.

I dont know if thats good or bad but pastor said something in his sermon disparaging ' 'butterfly christians' but you cant blame them for wanting to spread their wings and fly. At least we not fat caterpiller christians eating all day and not doing anything but eat.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been a christian 5 years..regularly attended 2. Have visited probably a dozen different ones.

I dont know if thats good or bad but pastor said something in his sermon disparaging ' 'butterfly christians' but you cant blame them for wanting to spread their wings and fly. At least we not fat caterpiller christians eating all day and not doing anything but eat.
If the pastor doesn't like "butterfly Christians" he should be doing something to keep them there.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well he doesnt seem to want a garden.
Or he said he didnt evn though I planted one anyway and he thanked me.
Its just weird, he will say something a bit off and then..apologise later. I think its cos his wife passed away that he doesnt have his wifes counsel anymore which is why he can be a bit short and impatient with women.

I mean if his wife was still here I could talk to her you know, sister to sister. I dont know. He went through such a hard time when she was dying of cancer. I dont know if its hard to be a pastors wife but maybe he just feels obligated to do things sometimes hed rather not.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
like go from one church to another. Say theres several different congreagations in your area. You want to try them all. How will you know if you dont try?
Or are you just meant to always stay in one church forever.

Or is it only wrong to church hop according to the pastor. If you pledged as a member do you have to keep that pledge? What if you didnt?

What it theres an issue with a church member or a teaching, or the pastor or preachers preach correct doctrine but dont actually practise what they preach?

Who really wants to stay where they not wanted and dont belong?

there is no biblical precedence for church membership or denominations, so God does not hold you to man's requirement to 'pledge allegiance' to anything other than Him; and flawed people make up every church. look for opportunities to minister to the people you find in whatever church you attend, and strive to be led by God on which church (if any) to join yourself to. you find what you seek; seek (focus) for people that you might help, and it won't bother you as much when you see flaws in the leadership.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im kinda getting to the stage where its too hard and maybe its time to move on. If a preacher is ordained to a church its because at the time of the ordination they wanted him there, but I wasnt there cos that was years ago, and these folk are elderly. Its like its their church and they not open to newcomers. But most of them are dying or ill or just getting old now. But if they all die off does that mean there will be no new ones to carry on.

I dont know how it all works. I like my ladies bible study but our leader says she and her family are moving up north to be with her parents and so I will miss her cos shes always been such an example for me.

As far as I know Im not going anywhere and im not sure if I can face going to another church where I wont know anyone. Its much better to be invited then to randomly turn up.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My neighbour did that with her whole family yet they split up and left the church.
And that means ive been there longer than them and not been an official member cos they started attending around the same time as me.

I know its not really biblical but a man made thing. But I suppose people do this, but not sure why. If they just leave anyway.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I suppose I just wait and see where God wants me as He knows its difficult right now. I will just take a break. Maybe ive become too involved. Im still friends with many of the ppl of the other church i used to go to and see them outside of it. But dont know if I want to go back there again.

Just dont want to be manipulated again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would guess that any church that has an aspect of a democracy in it, such as electing board members, would differentiate between congregants and members. So it is clear which kind each person is, they would have them sign a document. Along with the privilege of being able to affect the direction of the church is a responsibility to the church.

Personally I have always felt like I needed to investigate multiple churches, but relied on God to decide where I should continue to go.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I went to a certain church years ago and sat on their church board. When I brought some issues up with the Pastor in regards to some church discipline needed he took no action. It was time to move on and after ( hopping) a few different churches we found one with good solid Bible teachings. Seems once again, God had the better plan.

Note
Not good to be out of the flock for long for the devil does roam and the stragglers may be easy pray.

M-Bob

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am thinking of trying the elim church. Which has moved since I last visited but I could still walk to it.
The only thing about the elim church is i dont know if they all bought into bethel and nar.
Cos one I visited on holiday did. I guess wont know unless I go there. Or ask the pastor.

Is there a list of questions you can ask the pastor? To find out before you go what it will be like?
Or I could go back to the other one, even though that one church girl who ripped me off is still there.
I dont know.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The ones i havent been to yet...
Salvation army
Vineyard
Word of life
Methodist
Light house fellowship
Deeper life
Te aroha
Catholic
Sda
Church of christ
Quakers

Ones i been to
Elim
Bible chapel- brethren
Presbyterian
Anglican
Baptist
Bible baptist - fundamentalist
Wof
Charismatic
AOG
Life
Potters house

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I went to a certain church years ago and sat on their church board. When I brought some issues up with the Pastor in regards to some church discipline needed he took no action. It was time to move on and after ( hopping) a few different churches we found one with good solid Bible teachings. Seems once again, God had the better plan.

Note
Not good to be out of the flock for long for the devil does roam and the stragglers may be easy pray.

M-Bob
The presy church had BOM meetings..board of managers. And agms anyone could sit in. It was open.
They were just held after the service.
With the baptist it seems like they do things differently and its all a bit secret what they do. My friend was elected or nominated to be elder but she said their meetings are boring and all about numbers...not spiritual at all. I have heard of some that left this church because of something or other but really not sure what happened. Maybe the pastor failed to disciple. I dont know if can blame the pastor or call him to account or if its just the whole church structure is something wrong with it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It makes me wonder if the leaders get outside consultants in like organisations and business do on how to grow your business I mean church lol.

More customer service. Smile more. Everyone have a job description.
I mean this church did do the rick warren pupose driven thing i know cos it had so many copies of that book sitting in the church library. And hardly any bibles.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟453,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Goodbook - I do think someone will grow the most and learn the most if they become an active part of the right congregation, culminating in membership. The right congregation has nothing to do with flash or music or marketing or size. It has everything to do with being committed to making disciples of its congregation and teaching sound theology. It has to do with focusing on Christ more than numbers. It has to do with understanding the unique mission God has for that congregation. It won't be perfect, and you won't agree on every point of theological minutia, but it will feel like a place where you can commit to supporting the church and ministry for the long term.

Until you find that church there is no reason not to visit other churches frequently. You also should not join as a member until you have found the right place. Some churches only allow members to vote or have other governing rights - that is a small loss for someone who is not yet sure that church is their long term home. If a church requires membership in order to volunteer in ministry areas, I personally would question that and move on. To volunteer in ministry I personally think someone just needs to part of the large body of believers, not in membership at a church.

I served as elder chair for a large church. I had no problem with someone attending our church for a while (months or even years in some cases) and then going somewhere else as they searched for the congregation God had for them long term. I did find it bothersome if someone became a member at our church and then left because of preference reasons that had nothing to do with the core beliefs and ministry of the church. Membership in a church is not to be entered into lightly or quickly, but once done there is a level of commitment for both the church and the member. Churches should encourage membership to those who are committed to the congregation but not push it on those not at that point.

Given what you have posted in multiple threads, I would encourage you to visit other churches and not feel guilty about doing so. Prayers that God will show you the next steps for you to take.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you i need prayers....maybe its God needing me somehwere else. Just dont want to go too far thats all. I mean I could stay home which is what many christians do but not much fun singing all by myself. It has to be not only bible based and sound but ppl actually practsing what is being preached.

Upvote 0