Is it wrong for soldiers to want to fight and kill people?

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was in the Marines I had a friend who was in artillery. He told me he told the recruiter he wanted to join the infantry because he wanted to kill people. The recruiter told him he should join artillery since you can kill a lot of people with artillery, the recruiter probably just needed to fill those jobs. Anyways, when my friend told me this he was sort of laughing at how ignorant he was in wanting to kill people. By this time in his life he was ready to get out of the Marines and he didn't want to kill anyone.

I hardly think he was alone in his reasons for enlisting. I suspect a fair number of people who join the military want to fight for a valiant cause. I'm sure very few of them want to get hurt or die themselves which means they are prepared to maim and kill others. Is such a feeling wrong? Is it desirable for soldiers to be eager for battle?

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
It does pose a problem to psychologically compartmentalize and say it's fine to kill people in the service to a country that also grants people the right to life by that violence, but then that seems like a bigger problem. I can't say I'd want to join the military at all, but any factor of killing people would be a low priority on the list, since it would be done very reluctantly and with deep resignation.

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
"The soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton

I'd imagine that summarizes the thinking for most soldiers who choose to join the military. If any did thinking it was a video game scenario where they get to blow up a lot of people, they'd be disappointed soon anyway.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hm. I'd certainly say it's questionable. But outright wrong...i don't know. If somebody DID want to kill people, then certainly a military career would be a way to channel that bloodlust in a benificial way. As I said, somebody who actively just wants to kill people is definately of questionable morality, there's no doubt about that.

Upvote 0

scrofford

God Seeker
Dec 4, 2009
Marysville, Wa
✟8,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was in the 82nd Airborne Division for 5 years. My walk with God at the time wasn't the best, but I didn't join because I wanted to kill people. There were other reasons. I wanted to be a paratrooper and i wanted to be part of something that could make a difference.

As for wanting to kill people, I don't think it's right. Now if you are going to war and you have no choice, you better be motivated to do whatever it takes to watch out for your buddies and yourself when it comes to combat. If that means killing to accomplish your mission, so be it.

I think just wanting to kill people just to kill people is a wrong attitude to have. I think it's sad when people die on the battlefield. BUT, if it's going to be me or them, I'm going to make sure it's them that loses!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Amber the Duskbringer

I wanna bring up my brother in this and I know it sounds messed up but I wish I could stop his anger. He wants to join the marines, something he said last night scared me bad. "The marines do all the work, army goes in and kills 3 guys and take credit for it. Me? I will carve USMC in the enemies forehead to let them know it was the marines who got the kill" He spends most of his time playing games like COD and hanging around his friends who also wanna join the marines. Luckily he needs to get his GED and 15 hours of college before he can join. I am so scared for him because of that mentality he holds :(

No I don't think it is right. Please pray for him that he loses this hatred :( I know that's not the point of this thread but it just made me think about it and I cry thinking about him joining...

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wanna bring up my brother in this and I know it sounds messed up but I wish I could stop his anger. He wants to join the marines, something he said last night scared me bad. "The marines do all the work, army goes in and kills 3 guys and take credit for it. Me? I will carve USMC in the enemies forehead to let them know it was the marines who got the kill" He spends most of his time playing games like COD and hanging around his friends who also wanna join the marines. Luckily he needs to get his GED and 15 hours of college before he can join. I am so scared for him because of that mentality he holds :(

No I don't think it is right. Please pray for him that he loses this hatred :( I know that's not the point of this thread but it just made me think about it and I cry thinking about him joining...

How old is your brother? I ask because frankly, that doesn't seem too far outside the norm for the 18-21 year old male that's been raised on first-person-shooters. They don't join the military to become cooks or supply clerks or truck drivers. I'm almost 40 and wouldn't want any of those jobs.

I've got 18 year old twin boys and they were convinced that they wanted to be Army Rangers! It'll pass. There are no first person video games for Army mechanics.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doing things for the wrong reasons no matter what they are is still wrong.

Jesus told us about the person who gives and makes sure everyone notices and says that its wrong, not because he gave but because he wanted attention for it.

Joining the military because you want to kill people is in fact wrong. Joining the military because you want to serve and defend your country and your government and being willing to kill those who are enemies is acceptable.

God accepts warfare and he is not against people fighting in the military. Just as God finds it acceptable to defend yourself and your family even with deadly force if necessary.

However above all we are to love our neighbor so our attitude is very important. If you are shooting someone to defend yourself you should be doing it only to protect yourself or others, not because you relish shooting him or enjoy the practice. But only because the situation calls for it.

The situation may call for it in the military as well and you should only do it because the situation calls for it, not because its a fun thing for you to do.

Above all I think most military members as well as anyone who may need to defend themselves. We all would hope that it never has to come to that. A person who purchases a gun for self defense should honestly hope that he will never have to use it for self defense. A member of the military should hope that will never have to use his weapons in anger. Both of course though are willing to do so if it comes to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've got 18 year old twin boys and they were convinced that they wanted to be Army Rangers! It'll pass. There are no first person video games for Army mechanics.

Actually there is. It was made in some collaboration between the U.S. Army and some game studio, and is supposed to be the most realistic FPS ever. It is also terribly boring as a result. :D

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

He's not even IN the military yet and he's already hung up on some bullcrap rivalry? Every time I hear praise about a U.S. infantryman it's specifically a Marine.
Hopefully, he's just being hyperbolic. If not, and if he doesn't reevaluate what he's fighting for, he's going to just be other dishonorable discharge/court martial. I'm sad to say.

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because of my job, I've had the pleasure of working with US Army Special Forces "A" Detachments, US Navy SEALs and Marine Special Operations Teams, and I can tell you that YES, we have a rivalry, but after ten years of deploying, fighting and in some cases, dying...well, we've kind of figured out that we're on the same team, and the only time we'll make it personal is when someone who has never served rags on someone who has.

Upvote 0