IS it time to drop the term Charismatic ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Lets face it.

How many of the Gifts of the Spirit do we ever get to see ?

Most of the time we may get the odd "falling" of the Spirit and we get a little buzz from that.

But how are any of the 9 gifts mentioned in 1st Corinthians (and others re: Romans) actually validated ?

How can we distinguish that they are anything more than natural efforts ?

Haven't seen many casting out of devils ? Speaking in tongues without someone being coerced ?

All the real "stuff" seems to come from 3rd hand reporting, or way off in Africa somewhere.

Isn't it time we just called ourselves glorified baptists:wave:

Last edited:

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lets face it.

Most of the time we may get the odd "falling" of the Spirit and we get a little buzz from that.

But how are any of the 9 gifts mentioned in 1st Corinthians (and others re: Romans) actually validated ?

Haven't seen many casting out of devils ? Speaking in tongues without someone being coerced ?

All the real "stuff" seems to come from 3rd hand reporting, or way off in Africa somewhere.

Hey mate, I like the word "Disciples", and "Servants" of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Sad as it is, in some churches I have seen the coercing of Spiritual Gifts.

The only Spiritual Gifts I've experienced is when I am by myself and HE puts another Christian across my path, and I encounter the enemy manifestating in that Christian. And other times when others have been praying for another's healing, and I've passed on a word of knowledge that helped in a break-through.

Wow, I saw enough in Vietnam, and in those days I had no idea what I was experiencing then, but I now know now what was happening.

I know that each aircraft arriving and leaving airfields in Vietna were being cursed by Buddhist monks, and the same curses is what many Vietnam veterans suffer from still.

One day, I was at a morning tea meeting at an organisation that I was working as a volunteer . And as I sat there I received this great urgency to pray for one of the member's daughter who was involved in satanism. I had no idea what was happening, but the urgency became extremely overwhelming, in fact I began feel emotional, and left the meeting immediately, and climbed into my car, and then next minute I was blurting out in spirtual tongues, and prayed for minutes. When I stopped, I was exhausted, but felt at peace. I spoke to the girls parent if they had heard from their daughter and if she was in danger. I didn't share to them what I had happened, but I discerned that there was something going on in the heavenlies for her.

Blessings.:)

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hey mate, I like the word "Disciples", and "Servants" of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Sad as it is, in some churches I have seen the coercing of Spiritual Gifts.

The only Spiritual Gifts I've experienced is when I am by myself and HE puts another Christian across my path, and I encounter the enemy manifestating in that Christian. And other times when others have been praying for another's healing, and I've passed on a word of knowledge that helped in a break-through.

Wow, I saw enough in Vietnam, and in those days I had no idea what I was experiencing then, but I now know now what was happening.

I know that each aircraft arriving and leaving airfields in Vietna were being cursed by Buddhist monks, and the same curses is what many Vietnam veterans suffer from still.

One day, I was at a morning tea meeting at an organisation that I was working as a volunteer . And as I sat there I received this great urgency to pray for one of the member's daughter who was involved in satanism. I had no idea what was happening, but the urgency became extremely overwhelming, in fact I began feel emotional, and left the meeting immediately, and climbed into my car, and then next minute I was blurting out in spirtual tongues, and prayed for minutes. When I stopped, I was exhausted, but felt at peace. I spoke to the girls parent if they had heard from their daughter and if she was in danger. I didn't share to them what I had happened, but I discerned that there was something going on in the heavenlies for her.

Blessings.:)

Similar has happened to me brother, on an "as and when" or "need to act" basis.

Just got to be open enough to spot the moving of the Spirit..highways and byways style.

Just how he would want it methinks.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets face it.

I would guess that depends on what you call a gift of the Spirit, and where you are looking.

It seems to me that in discussions about the gifts of the Spirit a lot of Christians refer only to those listed in 1 Corinthians 12 (and maybe Romans and Ephesians too.) It is only the outward and dramatic gifts - e.g tongues, prophecy, word of knowledge, discernment - that ever seem to be desired or worthy of attention. I'm sure I would feel out of place in a church where these gifts were valued and regularly practiced. In fact it has happened; I once went to a house church where, during a time of prayer, people were encouraged to really worship God by using tongues. I felt left out. I know the Lord hears all our prayers but I was unable to join in with something which was obviously important in that church. I can understand why sometimes people might be tempted to make things up; there are times when you don't seem to be accepted unless you have had the experience.

As far as I am concerned the Spirit gives many gifts; music, songwriting, creativity, sorting out church finances, children's work, compassion for the poor/homeless/disadvantaged, the ability to raise, or make, money to help them, listening, prayer etc etc. Some of these we should all be concerned about, to some extent. But the ability to get alongside children, earn their trust and communicate with them is a gift; some people tolerate children being in church but don't want to help them learn about the faith. And we should all listen, but how many people really do?

Maybe - if you are in a church that understands about this, and sees it as a sign that the Spirit is at work. In many, I suspect, people would think the person had fainted.

Like I say, it depends what you focus on.
1 Corinthians mentions the gifts of healing (and God can heal through the medical profession), teaching and administration; Romans talks about leadership, encouraging others, showing mercy, giving to the needs of others; 1 Peter 4 talks about service. All of these are not only valid, but vital, I'd say.

If God created us in his image and gave us, not only life but everything we have, then what some people say is a "natural talent" must surely be from him also?
Christians choose, hopefully, to use their talents and gifts for God, in his service and to his glory. So Graham Kendrick's gift of song writing is sanctified and glorifies God. People who write heavy metal songs, or whatever, have a gift of songwriting too, it's just that some of them use it only for their own pleasure or to make money, and don't attribute it to God or honour him with it.

So only the "dramatic" gift are the "real stuff" then? :sigh:

Not if you're a Methodist, no.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

since you are in the vacinity of London, go to the Fulwell Cross Library in Barkingside, London this Thursday night at 7:30 pm and talk to Ben.
tell him i sent you.:thumbsup:

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
since you are in the vacinity of London, go to the Fulwell Cross Library in Barkingside, London this Thursday night at 7:30 pm and talk to Ben.

Tell me more, I could get there.

Is there a meeting there ?? & How are you connected ??

;)

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lets face it.

Congratulations, I see you are going through a paradigm shift that thousands before you have gone through. It looks like it leads into the woods but you will never know what is on the other side of those trees until you follow where God is leading you. Keep your bearing, keep questioning, and do not be tempted to return to the sty God is leading you away from. It was a comfortable sty to be sure but it was a sty all the same.

Still, the things you mention in the OP are the externals of the faith, not the inner reality that makes us salt and light. Sure, we have misused the power of God by turning it into theater and not to serve mankind.

There’s more to church than getting a regular buzz, a weekly fix, or seeing the Sunday show. “Church” was designed to be a community where we come to receive strength and refueling for ministry in/for the marketplace. But we have made it a Sunday theater with stage lights, chorus lines of “worship” singers, microphones, elaborate sound systems, praise dancers, skits, solo singers who look like Dolly Partin but sound like [expletive] and the preacher who is more of an over-dressed stand-up comic than a messenger of truth and who has a bag of tricks (aka, gifts) he displays from time to time for the entertainment of his audience. That’s why our pews are packed with spectators at a show, not participants in the Kingdom of God. Our modern televised worship services sometimes look more like Branson than the Kingdom.

And now, Mr. Happy, you are beginning to see Penny-costalism and Charis-mania through the same lenses the world—and the Lord—view it. We thought we looked chic and cool and with-it, but in the eyes of the world we look like a poor copy of Las Vegas. Surely, there’s more to Christianity than us making a fool of ourselves and maybe the reality is not in the weekend spectacular but in simply everyday living out the life of Christ in us.

IMO, P/C’s made a contribution to Christianity by giving back to the modern church something it had lost in the reality of the power of God. Then the devil and the flesh stepped in to discredit that message by deceiving its very practitioners into making it into a silly weekly show. And we can become so deeply caught up in the glitter and pizzazz of the whole thing that we can no longer see how ridiculous we look to the world outside our little theater.

So, Happy, keep going. From your OP it looks like God is leading you into something more authentic.

The decade I have been away from the show has been the most spiritually rewarding and Spirit fulfilling time of my life.

~Anne Teak
War never decides who is right, only who is left.

Reactions: LogosRhema
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Congratulations, I see you are going through a paradigm shift that thousands before you have gone through. It looks like it leads into the woods but you will never know what is on the other side of those trees until you follow where God is leading you. Keep your bearing, keep questioning, and do not be tempted to return to the sty God is leading you away from. It was a comfortable sty to be sure but it was a sty all the same.

Still, the things you mention in the OP are the externals of the faith, not the inner reality that makes us salt and light. Sure, we have misused the power of God by turning it into theater and not to serve mankind.

There’s more to church than getting a regular buzz, a weekly fix, or seeing the Sunday show. “Church” was designed to be a community where we come to receive strength and refueling for ministry in/for the marketplace. But we have made it a Sunday theater with stage lights, chorus lines of “worship” singers, microphones, elaborate sound systems, praise dancers, skits, solo singers who look like Dolly Partin but sound like [expletive] and the preacher who is more of an over-dressed stand-up comic than a messenger of truth and who has a bag of tricks (aka, gifts) he displays from time to time for the entertainment of his audience. That’s why our pews are packed with spectators at a show, not participants in the Kingdom of God. Our modern televised worship services sometimes look more like Branson than the Kingdom.

And now, Mr. Happy, you are beginning to see Penny-costalism and Charis-mania through the same lenses the world—and the Lord—view it. We thought we looked chic and cool and with-it, but in the eyes of the world we look like a poor copy of Las Vegas. Surely, there’s more to Christianity than us making a fool of ourselves and maybe the reality is not in the weekend spectacular but in simply everyday living out the life of Christ in us.

IMO, P/C’s made a contribution to Christianity by giving back to the modern church something it had lost in the reality of the power of God. Then the devil and the flesh stepped in to discredit that message by deceiving its very practitioners into making it into a silly weekly show. And we can become so deeply caught up in the glitter and pizzazz of the whole thing that we can no longer see how ridiculous we look to the world outside our little theater.

So, Happy, keep going. From your OP it looks like God is leading you into something more authentic.

The decade I have been away from the show has been the most spiritually rewarding and Spirit fulfilling time of my life.

~Anne Teak

heheheh good post there Jim~!

sounds like dollyworld....:D

I agree,mrhappy will be glad to be on a journey!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

~Anne Teak

What a great post. Bravo.

thank you:wave::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lets face it.

If you don't see any of the gifts in operation then it is time you start praying for them to manafest. I chose to not give up and pray for them every day. ;)

I refuse to drop the term!

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Auchhh! Those people are just after a "buzz", "a weekly fix", "a show". You know that, why come here and lie to us and imply that the gifts are actually manafesting there, or anywhere? I know this is the Spirit-filled/Charismatic forum and all but how dare you suggest such a thing! You're just blindly being led by all those Dolly Partons and that stand up comedian you call a pastor!

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Auchhh! Those people are just after a "buzz", "a weekly fix", "a show". You know that, why come here and lie to us and imply that the gifts are actually manafesting there, or anywhere? I know this is the Spirit-filled/Charismatic forum and all but how dare you suggest such a thing! You're just blindly being led by all those Dolly Partons and that stand up comedian you call a pastor!
you northern guys are quite chirppy this morning I see...:D

cold weather got ya fiesty?^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
you northern guys are quite chirppy this morning I see...:D

cold weather got ya fiesty?^_^
You wake up once when It's 4 degrees out and have to drive your son to work.

I'll probably be here all morning to be "chirpy" seeing that I cancelled school for myself.

LOL, you know I'm just having fun, and why not, I got the day off!!!! :clap:

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You wake up once when It's 4 degrees out and have to drive your son to work.

I'll probably be here all morning to be "chirpy" seeing that I cancelled school for myself.

LOL, you know I'm just having fun, and why not, I got the day off!!!! :clap:
I have coffee jitters.....wakes my other half up...:)

ani-man_shaking_man.gif

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what be u?

I would identify myself as being post-charismatic, but that is a descriptive term, not a label. I am just a joe trying to be more Christ-like every day. I learn what I can from each group. I operate in the gifts of the Spirit yet I am carnal at times too.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would identify myself as being post-charismatic, but that is a descriptive term, not a label. I am just a joe trying to be more Christ-like every day. I learn what I can from each group. I operate in the gifts of the Spirit yet I am carnal at times too.
Thank you.:)

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I can testify through my life what Jim has said there. I identify such a mindset as emotionalism... Is almost no different as getting high on drugs... eventually the Christian will burn out and at that turning point a moving forward or falling away could occur... Dangerous ground.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.