Is it possible to grow towards becoming a faithful Roman Catholic?

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The priest I Have known in my life, would if asked about Catholic faith struggles would suggest prayer, but never that I was somehow not Catholic.

This bears repeating. None of us is perfectly in line with church dogma on all issues, and voicing any disagreement or struggle with any given doctrine will result in being called all sorts of names in various dark corners of the internet. The words heresy, blasphemy, excommunication, etc. are all thrown around often and casually.

That's not real life. That's the internet, along with a special brand of unhealthy fanaticism.

The reality is that all of us are flawed, our church and its leaders are flawed, and none of that matters. Don't focus on the flaws. The fact that we come together in repentance and prayer as one universal Church is all that truly matters.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
This bears repeating. None of us is perfectly in line with church dogma on all issues, and voicing any disagreement or struggle with any given doctrine will result in being called all sorts of names in various dark corners of the internet. The words heresy, blasphemy, excommunication, etc. are all thrown around often and casually.

That's not real life. That's the internet, along with a special brand of unhealthy fanaticism.

The reality is that all of us are flawed, our church and its leaders are flawed, and none of that matters. Don't focus on the flaws. The fact that we come together in repentance and prayer as one universal Church is all that truly matters.

I agree.

Upvote 0

G19shooter

Soon-to-be-Catholic
May 14, 2014
Bay Area
✟15,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, this thread has been very supportive and helpful in my journey. I am glad I spoke honestly. I was afraid to say anything because I thought I'd get yelled at, told there was no hope, etc. This is great. Thank you all for your input on the matter at hand.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, this thread has been very supportive and helpful in my journey. I am glad I spoke honestly. I was afraid to say anything because I thought I'd get yelled at, told there was no hope, etc. This is great. Thank you all for your input on the matter at hand.
Hang in there & keep praying. I know it all can be very confusing. I talked to the priest by phone with all my concerns before going to my first Mass. If I were you, I'd call & leave a message with the priest so he can get back to you & you can voice your concerns with him & decide where to go from there. Prayers for you!:crossrc:

Upvote 0