Is It Okay To Be a Member of a Denominational Church?

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,

I'm a professed non-denominational Christ follower. I believe that all men who confess Jesus is Lord is equal before God's eyes regardless of the name tacked over the entrance. I also think a Christian should feel free to go anywhere God leads them.

I am a regular member of a baptist church, but I don't identify as baptist.

My question is, does anything seem wrong with this? Am I being contradictory or deceptive? Do you think it's okay for a non-denominational Christian to go to a denominational church?

Friendly debate, please. :)

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey,

I'm a professed non-denominational Christ follower. I believe that all men who confess Jesus is Lord is equal before God's eyes regardless of the name tacked over the entrance. I also think a Christian should feel free to go anywhere God leads them.

My question is, does anything seem wrong with this? Am I being contradictory or deceptive? Do you think it's okay for a non-denominational Christian to go to a denominational church?

If your a Non-denom, then you should find a non-denominational church, and different denominational believers should go to there respective churches. To go to a Baptist church, when you don't follow their doctrine, you should find a Non-denom church, in my opinion. But, if you find out what the baptist doctrine is, and find that you agree with it, then go to the Baptist church then, if you don't know you should find out...

Nothing wrong either way, you could be a Baptist or a Non-denom, different parts of Christs body, each with their own function, but we each differ...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey,

If that is where God wants you, then that is where you should be. God has planted me in an Assembly of God church, but I do not identify as Pentecostal. I know beyond any shadow of a doubt this church is where He wants me to be, but that doesn't mean I have to become Pentecostal. When I became a member of the church I told my Pastor that and he didn't mind a bit. Pray and ask God if that is where He wants you to be; that's all that really matters.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No problem with it. Just watch out for any agreements they may try and bind you to. This is primarily for leadership positions, where I've seen it. As in, if you have X position, you have to swear to be faithful to all denominational teachings, or if you're working for Y ministry, you can't work for any place that sells alcohol, even if it's bagging at a grocery store. If you are ever put in a position where you have to sign away Christian liberty, stop and consider it. Find out what EVERYTHING they demand really means, for how long, under what conditions, and if you agree with it from the heart. Research every single one of those issues well, as if you were going to marry that way of life. All that said, I spent some good time with Southern Baptists, and my overall impression with them is a positive one.

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Neogaia,

When I was searching for a church a few years ago, I didn't really find a lot of great differences from one doctrine to another. Most churches are similar to my beliefs, God created the heavens and the earth, Jesus was born, lived, died and rose again, Man must confess his faith in Jesus to enter the kingdom of Heaven, etc. I believe in baptism, communion, and tithing, so it's not like I'm in great conflict with the general Christian faith.

There are some churches with more defined doctrines, like the Lutherans and Catholics, but even they have the same basic beliefs. Any church with doctrine that is not scriptural or extra scriptural, like women can't wear make-up or heels, etc. I wouldn't have any part of, anyway.

The main difference I've seen between churches is how they do things. Baptists for example are very organized, every church is connected to a regional association that they pay tithe to and receive benefits from. Like my church, is part of a disaster relief program. All of our equipment is paid for, maintained, and insured by the local association.

On the other hand, all of the non-denominational churches I have been to are pretty much on their own. They have very little connection to and receive almost no benefits from a regional office. That's very tough on a small church, that can quickly get into trouble if they make a bad decision.

The big difference between me and the other people of the church is mostly political. I believe in intelligent design, I believe that Christians shouldn't dictate the laws of the government, etc. I'm liberal, they're not, but nobody really has a problem with that.

Sketcher,

I'm actually the secretary at my church, and I was the worship leader for a year. I have never been asked to sign any contracts, especially not any that limit my personal freedoms. Actually, the non-denominational church I went to previously had more restrictions on the people who agreed to be an "elder" at the church, including a "no alcohol" and "perfect marriage" restriction.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that Christians shouldn't dictate the laws of the government, etc.

Why not? We're citizens too, and not in an insignificant minority. If Christians should be excluded from dictating the laws, then so should every other belief group, including secular beleif groups such as Progressives.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey,

I dont see why it would be wrong. I attend a nondenominational church, but up until about a year or two ago, I also attended a catholic church (i started attending nondenominational churches almost six years ago). There was a time period of my life where I was involved in both nondenominational and denominational churches.

Upvote 0
L

Ladybythelake

Non denominational are denominations. They all teach the same thing.

Actually they don't. I came out of the LCMS (conservative Lutheran church)& have been struggling to understand different meanings of same words, the way similar verses are read, the way the Bible is read, etc.

They don't teach the same. I can say that from the experience of almost 1.5 years.

And as for all non-denoms being the same, I don't think so. My former pastor claimed that all non-LCMS/WELS churches taught the same (works righteousness). That has been a terrible barrier for me to get over. I was called a Baptist by a relative and she's not convinced otherwise.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.christianforums.com/t7396062/

A non-denominational Christian church is one that is autonomous and not under a central authority (i.e. governing board, Magesterium, Patriarchs) on matters of doctrine, ordination, policy or discipline. They may, however, be part of an association to share resources.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If that is where God wants you, then that is where you should be. God has planted me in an Assembly of God church, but I do not identify as Pentecostal. I know beyond any shadow of a doubt this church is where He wants me to be, but that doesn't mean I have to become Pentecostal. When I became a member of the church I told my Pastor that and he didn't mind a bit. Pray and ask God if that is where He wants you to be; that's all that really matters.

You shouldn't be a member of a church denomination whose beliefs you don't follow, or ascribe to, or want to support, so as to be spread.

You should know your church's beliefs and if you don't agree with them, then why does God "have you there", how are you so sure that's where God called you to be, or whether or not it's just something you've settled in your own heart, not God...

The only reason for you being in a church's whose beliefs and doctrine you don't believe in is to confront what you don't agree with and try to change it, other wise, you shouldn't be there...

Just my opinion,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm actually the secretary at my church, and I was the worship leader for a year. I have never been asked to sign any contracts, especially not any that limit my personal freedoms. Actually, the non-denominational church I went to previously had more restrictions on the people who agreed to be an "elder" at the church, including a "no alcohol" and "perfect marriage" restriction.
I wouldn't expect something like that for a secretary. For an elder, it would make sense, though I disagree with the "no alcohol" clause.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey,

You should pray about it and let God lead you. If He leads you to a Denominational church, then that's where you should be. I did the opposite and went from a Baptist church to a non-denominational, thanks to prayers.

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why not? We're citizens too, and not in an insignificant minority. If Christians should be excluded from dictating the laws, then so should every other belief group, including secular beleif groups such as Progressives.

I'm not getting into a political battle, that isn't the point of the thread.
However, I will clarify that I said "dictate", as in "n. an authoritative order or command". And while Christians are not a minority, not all Christians have the same political opinions. However, a boisterous few seem to think they can demand that the government makes laws based on their own overblown ideals and desires. Including stomping all over the rights, freedom, and safety of millions of others whose only crime is to not be like "us".
That isn't right, it's not constitutional, and it's not American.

Abysmul, Thank you for that definition. My experience with non-denominational churches lines up with that.

You shouldn't be a member of a church denomination whose beliefs you don't follow, or ascribe to, or want to support, so as to be spread.

You should know your church's beliefs and if you don't agree with them, then why does God "have you there", how are you so sure that's where God called you to be, or whether or not it's just something you've settled in your own heart, not God...

The only reason for you being in a church's whose beliefs and doctrine you don't believe in is to confront what you don't agree with and try to change it, other wise, you shouldn't be there...

Just my opinion,

God Bless!

I can't speak for others, but my journey to my current church was proceeded by visits to a lot of other churches, non-dom and dom alike, and a lot of prayer. As I said, other than political beliefs, there are no conflicts between my beliefs and the church's.

It just so happens that I came into the church several months before the pastor left and they suddenly needed a secretary and a worship leader to fill in the gaps. I was willing to fill both of those roles. After about a year of re-organization and taking steps to get the church on more financially stable ground, I am suddenly feeling called away from the church.

So, yeah, I believe God will call us to where we are needed, if we are willing to go.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Take a look at scriptures.

Paul spent most of his time traveling from city to city -- which we might now consider church hopping.

Moses rescued and raised in the house of an Egyptian deity was considered one of the great miracles of the Old Testament. His belief in God was not supported after being watched by Israelites, but Moses returned to the faith when God appeared in the burning bush.

Joseph sold into Egyptian slavery was seen as God's way of sending him powerful connections, that would enable him to assist all the countries in a famine.

Daniel kidnapped by Babylonians and put into a training program.... that was not written up as harming his faith; in fact, his decisions on food were examples to others.

Jesus attended temple, and also started a subversive variant of Judaism.

Go where God leads you, even if it doesn't make complete sense.

Find people you can pray with, needs that you can help meet, and sensible proximity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Take a look at scriptures.

Paul spent most of his time traveling from city to city -- which we might now consider church hopping.

Moses rescued and raised in the house of an Egyptian deity was considered one of the great miracles of the Old Testament. His belief in God was not supported after being watched by Israelites, but Moses returned to the faith when God appeared in the burning bush.

Joseph sold into Egyptian slavery was seen as God's way of sending him powerful connections, that would enable him to assist all the countries in a famine.

Daniel kidnapped by Babylonians and put into a training program.... that was not written up as harming his faith; in fact, his decisions on food were examples to others.

Jesus attended temple, and also started a subversive variant of Judaism.

Go where God leads you, even if it doesn't make complete sense.

Find people you can pray with, needs that you can help meet, and sensible proximity.

Awesome post! :amen:

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually they don't. I came out of the LCMS (conservative Lutheran church)& have been struggling to understand different meanings of same words, the way similar verses are read, the way the Bible is read, etc.

They don't teach the same. I can say that from the experience of almost 1.5 years.

And as for all non-denoms being the same, I don't think so. My former pastor claimed that all non-LCMS/WELS churches taught the same (works righteousness). That has been a terrible barrier for me to get over. I was called a Baptist by a relative and she's not convinced otherwise.

I would check out a non denominational calvinist church but that don’t exist in my area or at least I can't find them

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
they suddenly needed a secretary and a worship leader to fill in the gaps. I was willing to fill both of those roles.
That's a lot to take on at once!

Is It Okay To Be a Member of a Denominational Church?
Yes.

the pastor discouraged me from believing whatever he did but to believe what the Bible says. If I differ from him in doctrine, that's okay.
That was similar for me in the first church I joined as an adult. The pastor admitted he didn't align completely with his own denomination, but submitted to the protocol.

I understand your question, and imagine friends might challenge you with that. But it's a perfectionist approach, expecting everything we do in life to match up with ideals. Life seldom works that way.

People live near annoying neighbors, have roommates with opposite schedule preferences, attend schools that teach uncomfortable bias, and work at jobs with strange uniforms. We deal.

The old saying, "bloom where you are planted" seems important in churches, as people have transportation limitations.

Upvote 0