Dec 29, 2006
✟455,418.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Brother, "righteousness by faith/belief (pistis)" is a mistake in translating Paul's revelation of an ambiguous word in the Greek New Testament that can mean "belief" and must not always be translated as "faith". Ellen white told us what it is in the following passage.

Ellen White was much in the field during the next two years, endeavoring to lead the churches and conferences to a deeper, fuller understanding of the important message of righteousness by faith. She spoke of this Bible truth as one which, though “new to many minds,” was in reality “old truth in new Framework.” (Ellen G. White, The Review and Herald, July 23, 1889, reprinted in Selected Messages, B. 1, p. 355)​

"Righteousness by faith/belief (pistis)" is a repackaging of the Greek New Testament with an ambiguous Greek word "pistis" for the old truth in Hebrew of "faith" not being "belief" alone in the following passage.

You say you have faith (pistis), for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can’t you see that faith (pistis) without good deeds is inactive? Don’t you remember that our ancestor Abraham was shown to be right with God by his actions when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see, his belief (pistis) and his actions worked together. His actions made his faith (pistis) complete. And so it happened just as the Scriptures say: “Abraham believed (pisteuó) God, and God credited to him as righteousness (work).” He was even called the friend of God. So you see, we are shown to be right with God by what we do (faith), not by belief (pistis) alone. (James 2:19-24 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

United in the hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge
Everyone has 'belief' but the question is do they truly follow it or just claim they have it.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe our Sabbath began the day the Lord was resurrected, or the moment he said "it is finished". Take your pick. We are in "His rest" at this point - going on over 2000 years and counting.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟393,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe our Sabbath began the day the Lord was resurrected, or the moment he said "it is finished". Take your pick. We are in "His rest" at this point - going on over 2000 years and counting.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course. :)
The rest to which the gospel speaks of in Christ Jesus? That is not true for almost all professing Christians

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rest to which the gospel speaks of in Christ Jesus? That is not true for almost all professing Christians
I can't speak for others who profess to be Christians, but this sums up my viewpoint pretty well:

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟393,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for others who profess to be Christians, but this sums up my viewpoint pretty well:
I don’t care what some link says. I do care If you have something to say. So if you want heard say it here please, thank you.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t care what some link says. I do care If you have something to say. So if you want heard say it here please, thank you.
I chalk this up under Matthew 11:18-19

I'm damned if I back up my claim, and I'm damned if I don't. I said it in enough of my own words before that post. If you are here for an argument, I simply point you to those in the link and anywhere else you can find it.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟103,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I'm damned if I back up my claim, and I'm damned if I don't. I said it in enough of my own words before that post. If you are here for an argument, I simply point you to those in the link and anywhere else you can find it.
No. You're not damned either way. Just support your beliefs with scripture.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟393,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Argument? No…suit yourself. I am not interested in backtracking through this thread either. We will caulk this up as if you said nothing.. take care

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. You're not damned either way. Just support your beliefs with scripture.
I did, and was told, "I don’t care what some link says. I do care If you have something to say. So if you want heard say it here please,..."
From the link I supplied:

How Did Jesus Keep the Sabbath Holy?​

We see the clearest picture of God’s presence on Earth in the life of Jesus. Jesus was God come to live among his people. And Jesus had a lot to say about the Sabbath and the true rest that God intends for humanity.

In his Gospel, Matthew includes a series of connected stories where Jesus is confronted by Israel’s religious leaders and teachers. On one Sabbath day, the leaders object to Jesus’ friends picking corn as they’re walking through a field (Matt. 12:1-2). They also object to Jesus healing a man’s shriveled hand (Matt. 12:9-14
Matthew 12:9-14), saying that Jesus is ignoring the command to keep the Sabbath found in the Hebrew Scriptures (Exod. 20:5; Deut. 5:15

Jesus responds with an argument that clarifies the true definition of the Sabbath, asserting his role as the promised Messiah and pointing to his divinity (Matt. 12:3-8). Jesus understood the heart of the Sabbath—what God’s original command was pointing to. To understand Jesus’ point, we have to look at the context in which Matthew placed these stories.

Sabbath in the New Testament​

Matthew records these Sabbath controversies immediately after quoting Jesus’ words about rest.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

(Matthew 11:28-29)
All this talk of rest right before a passage that deals with Sabbath? This is no mistake. The people have become weary and burdened by the heavy weight of observing the Sabbath, following the letter of the law while missing God’s intent behind the command.

Jesus wants to clarify the meaning of Sabbath for them. The people are in need of rest—to stop hard work (shabbat) and be present with God (nuakh). And Jesus is here to usher in the full promise. He is God’s rest, and the people can come to him and find the true seventh-day rest that God intended.

Jesus reminds the people of God’s original intention for the Sabbath: unity with God, creation, and each other. Jesus teaches that the Sabbath points to him, the one Israel’s prophets promised would come to mercifully restore the rhythm of all creation.

When followers of Jesus observe the Sabbath, we live as if this restoration has already taken place. We take a break from the broken rhythms of hustle and hardship to set aside a time to honor Jesus’ rule, enjoy his presence, and extend rest to the world around us. When we trust God’s invitation to come to him and truly rest, we become places where his presence can dwell.

Observing the Sabbath for Modern Christians​

So what does this practice look like for modern Jesus followers? Does it mean attending a weekly church service, turning off work emails, or volunteering in your community? Does it matter what day you observe the Sabbath? Sabbath could certainly include those activities, but the whole of the biblical story seems to emphasize the purpose of the Sabbath rather than specific rules for observing it.

As followers of Jesus, God does not expect us to live by Israel’s laws. However, the wisdom of these laws remains, and the law of the Sabbath is rich with significance for us today. Sabbath is not a commandment we are bound to; it’s a promise we’re invited to enjoy.

Sabbath rest is an invitation to practice for eternity in God’s presence. It is an act of regular and intentional trust of God’s rule on Earth. We shabbat in order to nuakh—when we stop working, we can truly rest in God’s presence. When we practice this purposeful pause, we make room for God to take up residence in our individual lives and communities. And when we do this, we take part in the new creation story, setting the stage for God to make his dwelling place once again on Earth.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟103,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I did, and was told, "I don’t care what some link says. I do care If you have something to say. So if you want heard say it here please,..."
From the link I supplied:

How Did Jesus Keep the Sabbath Holy?​

We see the clearest picture of God’s presence on Earth in the life of Jesus. Jesus was God come to live among his people. And Jesus had a lot to say about the Sabbath and the true rest that God intends for humanity.

In his Gospel, Matthew includes a series of connected stories where Jesus is confronted by Israel’s religious leaders and teachers. On one Sabbath day, the leaders object to Jesus’ friends picking corn as they’re walking through a field (Matt. 12:1-2). They also object to Jesus healing a man’s shriveled hand (Matt. 12:9-14
Matthew 12:9-14), saying that Jesus is ignoring the command to keep the Sabbath found in the Hebrew Scriptures (Exod. 20:5; Deut. 5:15

Jesus responds with an argument that clarifies the true definition of the Sabbath, asserting his role as the promised Messiah and pointing to his divinity (Matt. 12:3-8). Jesus understood the heart of the Sabbath—what God’s original command was pointing to. To understand Jesus’ point, we have to look at the context in which Matthew placed these stories.

Sabbath in the New Testament​

Matthew records these Sabbath controversies immediately after quoting Jesus’ words about rest.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

(Matthew 11:28-29)
All this talk of rest right before a passage that deals with Sabbath? This is no mistake. The people have become weary and burdened by the heavy weight of observing the Sabbath, following the letter of the law while missing God’s intent behind the command.

Jesus wants to clarify the meaning of Sabbath for them. The people are in need of rest—to stop hard work (shabbat) and be present with God (nuakh). And Jesus is here to usher in the full promise. He is God’s rest, and the people can come to him and find the true seventh-day rest that God intended.

Jesus reminds the people of God’s original intention for the Sabbath: unity with God, creation, and each other. Jesus teaches that the Sabbath points to him, the one Israel’s prophets promised would come to mercifully restore the rhythm of all creation.

When followers of Jesus observe the Sabbath, we live as if this restoration has already taken place. We take a break from the broken rhythms of hustle and hardship to set aside a time to honor Jesus’ rule, enjoy his presence, and extend rest to the world around us. When we trust God’s invitation to come to him and truly rest, we become places where his presence can dwell.

Observing the Sabbath for Modern Christians​

So what does this practice look like for modern Jesus followers? Does it mean attending a weekly church service, turning off work emails, or volunteering in your community? Does it matter what day you observe the Sabbath? Sabbath could certainly include those activities, but the whole of the biblical story seems to emphasize the purpose of the Sabbath rather than specific rules for observing it.

As followers of Jesus, God does not expect us to live by Israel’s laws. However, the wisdom of these laws remains, and the law of the Sabbath is rich with significance for us today. Sabbath is not a commandment we are bound to; it’s a promise we’re invited to enjoy.

Sabbath rest is an invitation to practice for eternity in God’s presence. It is an act of regular and intentional trust of God’s rule on Earth. We shabbat in order to nuakh—when we stop working, we can truly rest in God’s presence. When we practice this purposeful pause, we make room for God to take up residence in our individual lives and communities. And when we do this, we take part in the new creation story, setting the stage for God to make his dwelling place once again on Earth.
That's not what Him meant. He meant don't quote tradition to him as it means nothing to him. I think the same way he does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not what Him meant. He meant don't quote tradition to him as it means nothing to him. I think the same way he does.
Well, tradition means nothing to me as well, so it looks like were together on this thing! :cool:

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually it does as the Catholics say they have the power to change God's law based upon their tradition.
I don't think that is a Catholic site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟103,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think that is a Catholic site.
I didn't say it was.

[pg. 181]

Q. In what manner can we show a Protestant, that he speaks unreasonably against fasts and abstinences?
A. Ask him why he keeps Sunday, and not Saturday, as his day of rest, since he is unwilling either to fast or to abstain. If he reply, that the Scripture orders him to keep the Sunday, but says nothing as to fasting and abstinence, tell him the Scripture speaks of Saturday or the Sabbath, but gives no command anywhere regarding Sunday or the first day of the week. If, then, he neglects Saturday as a day of rest and holiness, and substitutes Sunday in its place, and this merely because such was the usage of the ancient Church, should he not, if he wishes to act consistently, observe fasting and abstinence, because the ancient Church so ordained?

Q. Did not the Church, at the time of Christ, and before that period, keep the day of rest from five o'clock on Saturday till five on Sunday?
A. Yes; and yet Protestants keep it from twelve to twelve without any warrant of Scripture. Nay, they oppose the ScriptureLevit. xxiii, 32"From even unto even shall you celebrate your Sabbath."

[pg. 352]

Q. When Protestants do profane work upon Saturday, or the seventh day of the week, do they follow the Scripture as their only rule of faith,—do they find this permission clearly put down in the Sacred Volume?
A. On the contrary, they have only the authority of tradition for this practice. In profaning Saturday, they violate one of God's commandments, which he has never clearly abrogated, "Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day."
Q. Is the observance of Sunday, as the day of rest, a matter clearly laid down in Scripture?
A. It certainly is not; and yet all Protestants consider the observance of this particular day as essentially necessary to salvation. To say, we observe the Sunday, because Christ rose from the dead on that day, is to say we act without warrant of Scripture; and we might as well say, that we should rest on Thursday because Christ ascended to heaven on that day, and rested in reality from the work of redemption.

Q. Is it not said in the Acts—"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow," and is not this ancient scriptural authority for the observance of the first day of the week?
A. But does this text abrogate the observance of Saturday the seventh day, or allow Protestants to do profane work on that day? Certainly not. They should then rest upon both days, if they hold the above text as any argument. The text in question does not say that the Apostle preached, or that the people assembled every first day of the week, but merely on this particular day, for which a good reason is given, namely, that St. Paul was to depart next day. It is quite clear, however, that they met every

[pg. 354]

Saturday; for the same Acts say, St. Paul preached in the Synagogue every Sabbath, and exhorted the Jews and the Greeks. Besides, it is not wonderful that the disciples came together on this first day of the week, since, according to Acts ii, they continued DAILY in the Temple breaking bread.
Q. Does not St. Paul order the Galatians and Corinthians to make collections on the first day of the week?
A. Yes; but, again, this does not abolish the observance of Saturday. St. Paul does not say that the people would be at church on that day,that they were to keep that day, to the exclusion of Saturday, holy,or that these collections were to be made at church, but merely that every man should lay up by himself in store upon that day.
Q. What do you conclude from all this?
A. That Protestants have no Scripture for the measure of their day of rest,that they abolish the observance of Saturday without warrant of Scripture;that they substitute Sunday in its place without Scriptural authority,consequently, that for all this, they have only traditional authority. Yet Protestants would look upon a man who would do profane work after five o'clock on Sunday, or keep the Saturday and profane the first day, as a victim

[pg. 355]

of perdition. Hence we must conclude, that the Scripture, which does not teach these things clearly, does not contain all necessary truths and, consequently cannot be the only rule of Faith.

So when a Protestant keeps Sunday he is keeping it on the authority of the RCC.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say it was.

[pg. 181]

Q. In what manner can we show a Protestant, that he speaks unreasonably against fasts and abstinences?
A. Ask him why he keeps Sunday, and not Saturday, as his day of rest, since he is unwilling either to fast or to abstain. If he reply, that the Scripture orders him to keep the Sunday, but says nothing as to fasting and abstinence, tell him the Scripture speaks of Saturday or the Sabbath, but gives no command anywhere regarding Sunday or the first day of the week. If, then, he neglects Saturday as a day of rest and holiness, and substitutes Sunday in its place, and this merely because such was the usage of the ancient Church, should he not, if he wishes to act consistently, observe fasting and abstinence, because the ancient Church so ordained?

Q. Did not the Church, at the time of Christ, and before that period, keep the day of rest from five o'clock on Saturday till five on Sunday?
A. Yes; and yet Protestants keep it from twelve to twelve without any warrant of Scripture. Nay, they oppose the ScriptureLevit. xxiii, 32"From even unto even shall you celebrate your Sabbath."

[pg. 352]

Q. When Protestants do profane work upon Saturday, or the seventh day of the week, do they follow the Scripture as their only rule of faith,—do they find this permission clearly put down in the Sacred Volume?
A. On the contrary, they have only the authority of tradition for this practice. In profaning Saturday, they violate one of God's commandments, which he has never clearly abrogated, "Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day."
Q. Is the observance of Sunday, as the day of rest, a matter clearly laid down in Scripture?
A. It certainly is not; and yet all Protestants consider the observance of this particular day as essentially necessary to salvation. To say, we observe the Sunday, because Christ rose from the dead on that day, is to say we act without warrant of Scripture; and we might as well say, that we should rest on Thursday because Christ ascended to heaven on that day, and rested in reality from the work of redemption.

Q. Is it not said in the Acts—"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow," and is not this ancient scriptural authority for the observance of the first day of the week?
A. But does this text abrogate the observance of Saturday the seventh day, or allow Protestants to do profane work on that day? Certainly not. They should then rest upon both days, if they hold the above text as any argument. The text in question does not say that the Apostle preached, or that the people assembled every first day of the week, but merely on this particular day, for which a good reason is given, namely, that St. Paul was to depart next day. It is quite clear, however, that they met every

[pg. 354]

Saturday; for the same Acts say, St. Paul preached in the Synagogue every Sabbath, and exhorted the Jews and the Greeks. Besides, it is not wonderful that the disciples came together on this first day of the week, since, according to Acts ii, they continued DAILY in the Temple breaking bread.
Q. Does not St. Paul order the Galatians and Corinthians to make collections on the first day of the week?
A. Yes; but, again, this does not abolish the observance of Saturday. St. Paul does not say that the people would be at church on that day,that they were to keep that day, to the exclusion of Saturday, holy,or that these collections were to be made at church, but merely that every man should lay up by himself in store upon that day.
Q. What do you conclude from all this?
A. That Protestants have no Scripture for the measure of their day of rest,that they abolish the observance of Saturday without warrant of Scripture;that they substitute Sunday in its place without Scriptural authority,consequently, that for all this, they have only traditional authority. Yet Protestants would look upon a man who would do profane work after five o'clock on Sunday, or keep the Saturday and profane the first day, as a victim

[pg. 355]

of perdition. Hence we must conclude, that the Scripture, which does not teach these things clearly, does not contain all necessary truths and, consequently cannot be the only rule of Faith.

So when a Protestant keeps Sunday he is keeping it on the authority of the RCC.

I don't "keep" sunday. And I don't call it a day of rest. I call EVERY day a day I spend in the rest of Jesus, who is my "sabbath". My church meets on Sunday because that's just when they meet. The day matters not to me. The only reason I believe we need to meet at all is because of Hebrews 10:25. Otherwise, I'd have stopped "going to church" decades ago. I get very little out of it except for one thing: relationship with fellow believers with a common purpose. I can worship God on my own and worship Him with other believers at meetings at my house or anywhere else, and on any day. And I get better teaching from books and internet sources. And my wife and I can take communion at home any time we want.

Sabbath never enters my mind when I go to church, other than to be reminded that Jesus is my Sabbath, 24/7. And another thing: Jesus was probably born on September 11th. So I'm not a big fan of Christmas either. It's because I "celebrate" it every day. But that is a rabbit hole for another thread. :)

BTW, I think paul was preaching in the Synagogue every Sabbath because that's where the jews were, and when they were gathered together. And as you pointed out, they continued "daily" in the Temple breaking bread.

I don't care if people meet Saturday, Sunday or every day. I don't judge their choice at all. As far as I'm concerned, the more often the better. But if you meet simply out of duty, you're doing it wrong. ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟185,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, I think paul was preaching in the Synagogue every Sabbath because that's where the jews were, and when they were gathered together. And as you pointed out, they continued "daily" in the Temple breaking bread.
As a footnote: In Athens, Paul was in the synagogue every Sabbath and in the marketplace every day, which would include the Sabbath. He went where the people were!

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟103,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't "keep" sunday. And I don't call it a day of rest. I call EVERY day a day I spend in the rest of Jesus, who is my "sabbath". My church meets on Sunday because that's just when they meet. The day matters not to me. The only reason I believe we need to meet at all is because of Hebrews 10:25. Otherwise, I'd have stopped "going to church" decades ago. I get very little out of it except for one thing: relationship with fellow believers with a common purpose. I can worship God on my own and worship Him with other believers at meetings at my house or anywhere else, and on any day. And I get better teaching from books and internet sources. And my wife and I can take communion at home any time we want.

Sabbath never enters my mind when I go to church, other than to be reminded that Jesus is my Sabbath, 24/7. And another thing: Jesus was probably born on September 11th. So I'm not a big fan of Christmas either. It's because I "celebrate" it every day. But that is a rabbit hole for another thread. :)

I don't care if people meet Saturday, Sunday or every day. I don't judge their choice at all. As far as I'm concerned, the more often the better. But if you meet simply out of duty, you're doing it wrong. ;)
So God doesn't really enter into your ideas of the Sabbath. As far as you're concerned it seems to just be a free-for-all. Everyone can do as they please. Odd how God has never said that. Jesus also never said that He was anyone's Sabbath.

Why is it wrong to consider a command of God's a duty to obey? Do you consider it wrong to consider it a duty to obey the laws of your country? Isn't God far greater than any country?

Just for sake of avoiding a charge of legalism, I consider it a privilege to obey God.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So God doesn't really enter into your ideas of the Sabbath. As far as you're concerned it seems to just be a free-for-all. Everyone can do as they please. Odd how God has never said that. Jesus also never said that He was anyone's Sabbath.

Why is it wrong to consider a command of God's a duty to obey? Do you consider it wrong to consider it a duty to obey the laws of your country? Isn't God far greater than any country?

Just for sake of avoiding a charge of legalism, I consider it a privilege to obey God.
I agree with your last statement. Your paraphrasing of my words, though, is not what I said nor what I meant. Regarding keeping the Sabbath in the Church age, I offer this page. If you just want to skim to get to the meat, just go there and search the word "Sabbath". You'll see where I'm coming from on this. I pretty much agree with the points I'm seeing there.

Finally, though Jesus gave us over 40 "commandments", I really focus on two that sum up the entire thing for followers of Jesus. Love God, and love your neighbor. Everything - EVERYTHING - falls under those two commandments. And yes, one way we love God is by keeping His commandments. But I'm not a part of Israel. I don't sacrifice animals, and I don't tithe either. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0