Is it arrogant to say that you're on the path to Heaven?

Nani-Day

Lambda 11
Dec 8, 2013
New York
✟1,600.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A former co worker of mine told me with great happiness and confidence that he was going to Heaven. It was honestly the first time that I had even heard anyone say that. I told my pastor what he said and he didnt seem to pleased with that attitude. It was as if he thought the young man wasn't humble enough.

What do you guys think?

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A former co worker of mine told me with great happiness and confidence that he was going to Heaven. It was honestly the first time that I had even heard anyone say that. I told my pastor what he said and he didnt seem to pleased with that attitude. It was as if he thought the young man wasn't humble enough.

What do you guys think?

There is a lot that can be said about it. Some people have a rather terrifying view of God and need to believe that they absolutely are saved, because any doubt would destroy them. That's why once saved always saved was invented.

One way or another theologically, the guy has no assurance. If Catholics are wrong and once you are saved, you are always saved, he has no way of knowing if he is saved. There are plenty of people that get 'saved' and then leave. So they are told they were never saved.

As Catholics, we do our best to walk the path of salvation.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Nani-Day said:
A former co worker of mine told me with great happiness and confidence that he was going to Heaven. It was honestly the first time that I had even heard anyone say that. I told my pastor what he said and he didnt seem to pleased with that attitude. It was as if he thought the young man wasn't humble enough. What do you guys think?
I'd say that the whole focus on going to heaven when you die is a gigantic exercise in missing the point.

Upvote 0

waterlemona

Dec 26, 2008
✟10,748.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can't say for sure that I am going to heaven, but I can say for sure that God will not abandon me, no matter what, and is always leading me towards heaven.
Any uncertainty is due to the fact that although God won't let go of me, I can certainly make poor choices and let go of Him.

Upvote 0

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can't say for sure that I am going to heaven, but I can say for sure that God will not abandon me, no matter what, and is always leading me towards heaven.
Any uncertainty is due to the fact that although God won't let go of me, I can certainly make poor choices and let go of Him.

very well said, I feel the same way.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it's presumptuous to say, certainly, that we're going to heaven, any one of us. We can certainly work toward heaven by living the Gospel. An awful lot of us will need to be purified before we're allowed in. I would say that anyone who has any attachment to anything of this earth would, to say the least, be in need of purification before being allowed in the narrow gate.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Catholics consider this attitude the sin of presumption.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For myself, I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to think I would be going straight to Heaven. My running joke is when I die I will be hanging by my fingertips on the edge of Purgatory.

Joke? Hey, watch it! You're right hand is on my pinkie. Whoa, it's crowded here on the edge huh. Squirming to keep my grip...

Edit: I will be extremely lucky to be on the edge of Purgatory!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To be in the Catholic Church is to be in the Path of Heaven. Because the Catholic Church is the Body of Christ and Christ is The Way, The Truth and The Life . Now, We catholics can not say that we are "saved" that only is judgement of God, but we are in the path.

Dominus Iesus

Dominus Iesus

22. With the coming of the Saviour Jesus Christ, God has willed that the Church founded by him be the instrument for the salvation of all humanity (cf. Acts 17:30-31).90 This truth of faith does not lessen the sincere respect which the Church has for the religions of the world, but at the same time, it rules out, in a radical way, that mentality of indifferentism “characterized by a religious relativism which leads to the belief that ‘one religion is as good as another'”.91 If it is true that the followers of other religions can receive divine grace, it is also certain that objectively speaking they are in a gravely deficient situation in comparison with those who, in the Church, have the fullness of the means of salvation.92 However, “all the children of the Church should nevertheless remember that their exalted condition results, not from their own merits, but from the grace of Christ. If they fail to respond in thought, word, and deed to that grace, not only shall they not be saved, but they shall be more severely judged”.93 One understands then that, following the Lord's command (cf. Mt 28:19-20) and as a requirement of her love for all people, the Church “proclaims and is in duty bound to proclaim without fail, Christ who is the way, the truth, and the life (Jn 14:6). In him, in whom God reconciled all things to himself (cf. 2 Cor 5:18-19), men find the fullness of their religious life”.94

Last edited:
Upvote 0