Is global warming just another ‘End-of-the-World’ delusion?

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟18,679.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree lion hearted man it won't end the world (God will do that). Now the second part of your statement I take issue with as being fear mongering and inflammatory. Where is the proof that, that will occur at all.

:cool:

Species go extinct. It's a fact of life. We're accelerating a change in our environment that could lead to a vast change in our existence, which could possibly lead to our extinction. Life can go on, but we are not invincible.

I find it funny that you demand proof from me while making sweeping claims about God's role in this universe ^_^

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Species go extinct. It's a fact of life. We're accelerating a change in our environment that could lead to a vast change in our existence, which could possibly lead to our extinction. Life can go on, but we are not invincible.

I find it funny that you demand proof from me while making sweeping claims about God's role in this universe ^_^

You forget lion hearted man that you are on a christian forum and you atheist are the intruders here.

I don't believe God would let mankind go extinct. He loves us and has a plan for us. This is to other people who read this forum not just you lion hearted man.

:amen:

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟18,679.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
You forget lion hearted man that you are on a christian forum and you atheist are the intruders here.

I don't believe God would let mankind go extinct. He loves us and has a plan for us. This is to other people who read this forum not just you lion hearted man.

"Intruders" implies we are not allowed to be here.

I take issue with your point, because if you're wrong, it could lead to devastating consequences. When people assume God will take care of everything, they do nothing. Doing nothing to slow down climate change could be disastrous.

You do not speak for all Christians, may I remind you.

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Wasn't that a video game - atheist intruders? How do we blast through the barricades and zap all the flying saucers for max points? :D

I take issue with your point, because if you're wrong, it could lead to devastating consequences. When people assume God will take care of everything, they do nothing. Doing nothing to slow down climate change could be disastrous.

Paschal's wager, evo/agw style?

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟18,679.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Paschal's wager, evo/agw style?

It would only be analogous to Pascal's wager if the answer to the quesiton itself was unknowable. We do know that the climate is changing and that it could lead to problems for us in the future.

Upvote 0

KhaosTheory

Oct 27, 2011
✟828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whoa lots of vitriol against those with differing opinions here...

Wouldn't it be better to go ahead and take care of the planet in case Jesus doesn't come back in the next 50 years?

After all, it's already been 2000 years and nothing yet.

Even if you believe that it's impossible for us to completely destroy the world there's nothing in the bible that says that we can't really screw up the planet in a horrible way like say... Florida or Japan being under water.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,160.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Wouldn't it be better to go ahead and take care of the planet in case Jesus doesn't come back in the next 50 years?

Even if you believe that it's impossible for us to completely destroy the world there's nothing in the bible that says that we can't really screw up the planet in a horrible way like say... Florida or Japan being under water.

Bolding mine.

Wouldn't it be wiser even if one knew he existed and was coming back tommorrow?

I have a feeling it would be more pleasent to hear well done good and faithful servant than 'Why did you trash that given to you to protect'.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,160.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

He seemed to be willing to wipe out all but 8 or so humans in the past. I'm sure he can rebuild from similar numbers again if needed.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

It is the third world that has no controls on their coal plants and no controls on emissions from cars and industry. We are doing enough to slow down emissions already and with hybrids and green power increasing it is enough. We are slowing down pollution air / water ect....

I don't think there is a need for any catastrophic prevention it has yet to be proved that that is going to occur and I do not believe it ever will. Water levels remain steady rising since the last ice age at a constant rate, no catastrophy there. The hurricane death rate has steadily gone down over the years. Hurricane Fatalities, 1900–2010: Update | Watts Up With That?

So there is and I believe there will be no catastrophic occurances from CC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
It is the third world that has no controls on their coal plants and no controls on emissions from cars and industry. We are doing enough to slow down emissions already and with hybrids and green power increasing it is enough. We are slowing down pollution air / water ect....

I don't think there is a need for any catastrophic prevention it has yet to be proved that that is going to occur and I do not believe it ever will. Water levels remain steady rising since the last ice age at a constant rate, no catastrophy there. The hurricane death rate has steadily gone down over the years. Hurricane Fatalities, 1900–2010: Update | Watts Up With That?

So there is and I believe there will be no catastrophic occurances from CC.

You are vacillating between two positions. On the one hand, you claim that we can't know if something bad will come to pass because of our use of fossil fuels. On the other, you claim that our current level of use is enough to prevent a catastrophe in the future. It is either one or the other. Either we know what levels of fossil fuel use will lead to disaster or we don't.

What we do know is that increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will trap more heat than if that carbon dioxide was not there. I think it would be prudent to limit the amount of CO2 so that we don't push the system too far. Like you said, we haven't proven how much CO2 is needed to produce a catastrophe, so shouldn't we be limiting our risk?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Of course it would :thumbsup:
Bolding mine.

Wouldn't it be wiser even if one knew he existed and was coming back tommorrow?

I have a feeling it would be more pleasent to hear well done good and faithful servant than 'Why did you trash that given to you to protect'.
That too

http://www.christianforums.com/t7674676/
How do I deal with The End Days

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can it be possible to monger fear among Christians?

It is the unbelievers who fear what Christians believe the future holds, not Christians.

The point is, of course that some of us see that although these problems might be dealt with, if we cared to, in aggregate, as one big problem, arising from our fantastic ability to ignore the inconvenient and uncomfortable facts, they might trouble some who think we might be answerable in reality for the inaction hidden behind our "faith".

Maybe God won't save us because we won't even try to save ourselves.

God, if he exists, has given us the power over our own fates, the keys to the kingdom, if you will. According to your own holy book he told you so.

So the inaction of society to deal with our problems is the fault of Christians? Nay, but Jesus instructed us to "occupy (keep on keepin on) until I return".

Why don't the unbelievers, who represent the majority, just ignore us and go ahead with solving these problems in spite of our 'faith' that it will do no good? :confused:

I'm a Christian but I never allow the attitudes and fears of unbelievers influence my actions in regard to problem solving (why just the other day I solved this problem that.......) :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You do not speak for all Christians, may I remind you.

It's not the people of God that are causing either the problems, or the inaction. Christians are generally better stewards of the earth than the general population of the earth. But as in times past we will face blame as scapegoats. It's happening in this very thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What we do know is that increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will trap more heat than if that carbon dioxide was not there. I think it would be prudent to limit the amount of CO2 so that we don't push the system too far. Like you said, we haven't proven how much CO2 is needed to produce a catastrophe, so shouldn't we be limiting our risk?

Some believe that the release of uncontrollable amounts of methane is a real possibility if temperatures continue to rise. This would bring about a whole new level of global warming, perhaps the death blow? So we really should try to control what we can control to prevent that from happening.

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are vacillating between two positions. On the one hand, you claim that we can't know if something bad will come to pass because of our use of fossil fuels. On the other, you claim that our current level of use is enough to prevent a catastrophe in the future. It is either one or the other. Either we know what levels of fossil fuel use will lead to disaster or we don't.

Yes I am saying our use of fossil fuels will not lead to disaster at all. Of course we cannot know until higher levels of CO2 are reached, but I am pretty sure that things such as an ice melt will not occur other then the levels that are melting now.

No ,I am saying that the current warming is mostly natural, like the MWP and the Holecene maximum were. We cannot know that this modern warming is an occurance that is natural or not until we reach higher levels of CO2 say 500 ppm or greater, which is not outstanding in mother nature, 500 ppm has been reached in various places around the globe locally already.

:preach::groupray::angel:

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Global warming won't bring about the end of the world. The end of the human species? Quite possibly!

:wave:

That strikes me as a little alarmist -- humans will adapt to changing climate; we always have before.

Human civilization as we know it might take a hit, but the species will make it through.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Ah, but that would indicate a lack of faith -- don't you know, we're in the End Times! ;)

True, but this time we're really, really sure... just you wait... any day now...

Don't forget California. But on the plus side, all that property Lex Luthor's been buying in the desert will be worth billions!

seven_superman_07.jpg

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
So we really should try to control what we can control to prevent that from happening.
Actually china is the new kid on the block when it comes to using fossil fuel. Of course Shanghi is sinking into the ocean, so China will also be one of the first to feel the effects of global warming. Right now they are worried about flooding from storm surges in places like Miami and New York. We have already begun to see a little of that.

Upvote 0