Is getting a tattoo a sin?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not all of Leviticus applies to the present day morality of Christians (the holiness code which forbade wearing certain clothes, for example, was just a part of the laws God created for the Israelites), but do you think not having tattoos was a universal moral prohibition, or only applied to OT believers?

Obviously there is some common sense and judgement that must be applied. Having a tattoo of something vulgar like a nude person or a demon isnt right, but is having a tattoo itself against the Bibles teachings?

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not all of Leviticus applies to the present day morality of Christians (the holiness code which forbade wearing certain clothes, for example, was just a part of the laws God created for the Israelites), but do you think not having tattoos was a universal moral prohibition, or only applied to OT believers?

Obviously there is some common sense and judgement that must be applied. Having a tattoo of something vulgar like a nude person or a demon isnt right, but is having a tattoo itself against the Bibles teachings?

Are you going to determined which Laws apply and which ones don't? The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Proverbs 16:25- "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

Anything that is intended to glorify the flesh and man's thoughts and intentions usually leads away from the Spirit.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to determined which Laws apply and which ones don't? The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Proverbs 16:25- "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."

Anything that is intended to glorify the flesh and man's thoughts and intentions usually leads away from the Spirit.
Look at Leviticus 28. Do preachers shave?

Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what we now have is better than the law.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. -- 1 Corinthians 10

It's the wrong question to ask, "Is X a sin?" The correct questions to ask are whether the action is profitable to the Lord or edifying to the Body of Christ.

Asking "Is X a sin?" is the error that the one-talent steward made. He was so concerned with avoiding what was wrong that he failed to do what was right. He failed to seek what would be profitable to the Master.

When Paul says, "All things are lawful," he is setting aside the written code, and then by asking whether the action is profitable to the Lord or edifying to the Body of Christ he is raising the bar above the written code.

"Is it profitable to the Lord?"

When you ask, "Is it against the Law?"--which is what you've asked--then the question turns into a search of written code to find the very edge of what's against the Law and what's not against the law. That's why you end up with a massive Talmud that becomes the reference rather than the Law itself:

"Is it a sin to work on the Sabbath? Well, then, how shall we define 'work?' Is it work to start a fire? Well, then, is it work to flip a lightswitch?"

No, the question to ask is: "Is it profitable to the Lord for me to start this fire today?"

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. -- 1 Corinthians 10

It's the wrong question to ask, "Is X a sin?" The correct questions to ask are whether the action is profitable to the Lord or edifying to the Body of Christ.

Asking "Is X a sin?" is the error that the one-talent steward made. He was so concerned with avoiding what was wrong that he failed to do what was right. He failed to seek what would be profitable to the Master.

When Paul says, "All things are lawful," he is setting aside the written code, and then by asking whether the action is profitable to the Lord or edifying to the Body of Christ he is raising the bar above the written code.

When you ask, "Is it against the Law?"--which is what you've asked--then the question turns into a search of written code to find the very edge of what's against the Law and what's not against the law. That's why you end up with a massive Talmud that becomes the reference rather than the Law itself:

"Is it a sin to work on the Sabbath? Well, then, how shall we define 'work?' Is it work to start a fire? Well, then, is it work to flip a lightswitch?"

No, the question to ask is: "Is it profitable to the Lord for me to start this fire today?"

Some Christians are definitely motivated to get faith based designs tattooed with a view to helping in testimony conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with John 3.16 tattooed in full on her wrist area. It was her favorite verse and mine. There must have arisen other conversations with people also as a result of the tattoo.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

How is that a wrong question to ask? If something isnt sinful, then why would it be wrong to do?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is that a wrong question to ask? If something isnt sinful, then why would it be wrong to do?
Paul said: "All things are lawful; all things are not expedient" (1 Corinthians 10.23).

Some Christians are strongly motivated to get faith based tattoos. Some Christians are strongly motivated not to get faith based tattoos.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Paul said: "All things are lawful; all things are not expedient" (1 Corinthians 10.23).

Some Christians are strongly motivated to get faith based tattoos. Some Christians are strongly motivated not to get faith based tattoos.

What are some reasons why getting a tattoo would be wrong, but not necessarily sinful? As I said in the OP, getting a vulgar tattoo is obviously a sin, but what are some other reasons why getting a tattoo may be wrong?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are some reasons why getting a tattoo would be wrong, but not necessarily sinful? As I said in the OP, getting a vulgar tattoo is obviously a sin, but what are some other reasons why getting a tattoo may be wrong?

I'm sure there are many arguments either way.

If someone disregards basic safety standards and uses a cowboy tattoo artist, for example, this would be unwise and even reckless.

Another would be to get a design without forethought, that one would live to regret.

On the other hand, my wife and I talked to a young lady who had the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area. It was her favorite verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have resulted also. Some Christians are strongly motivated to use faith based tattoos as a witness aid.

If you or anyone is considering a tattoo, then it's common sense to put in a great deal of planning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Getting Tattoos isn't a sin, it's just a stupid thing to do.
I guess for you it would be, clearly! :)

For some people strongly motivated to have a witness aid in ink - proven to be effective - the perspective would of course be different.

Upvote 0
Nov 29, 2014
Snake River plain
✟7,745.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Attention gentiles! Torah commandments were never applicable to you.

Not even the first ten.

Shocking, I know.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have 6 tattoos. my first tattoo was a star and based off the bible verse phillipians 2:14-15and my butterfly verse based off of 2 corinthians 5:17and a rose which i thought was really pretty and might fall along the lines "miracles happen everyday" to look on the optimistic side and really appreciate God's wonderful job on creating earth's animals and plants. I can never go on a nature walk without thinking of God..

I think tattoos can be a great witness. I'd like to get a praying hands tat, a footprints (from the poem) tat, a cross-but not a decorative or celtic one even though they are prettier-I'd like to have a wooden one with a crown of thorns on the top to make it look more like what I want it to represent. I also thought about getting a sun tattoo to go with Proverbs 4:18.
You're obviously very comfortable as a tattooed woman and clearly glad to use ink as a witness means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Culture expressions like the things we wear, our vernacular and even tattoos are not inherently evil. But many can still be sinful because of how our culture defines them. If wearing pink is taboo then I should probably abstain from wearing pink. Not because pink is evil but because in order to show christ to others I need to follow the rules the culture dictates.

We need to respect these systems and if we find we estrange ourselves from our culture or offend then we need to seriously reconsider engaging in them. With an issue like tattoos popular opinion can vary from place to place or even from family to family. Consider the choices carefully before you do them to see if they are really worth it. It's not worth fighting an issue like this when we cannot show christ through them.

Certainly there are two sides to every issue and where offence can be given by getting a tattoo offence can be given by shunning them too. Love needs to dictate these choices and which ever direction you go love others who choose the opposite.

So which direction should you go? To start identify your mission then respect the system that is a part of it. If your mission is biker gangs then I'm sure tattoos can be a part of that but if it is the elderly in a small rural community tattoo probably shouldn't be your focus.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To start identify your mission then respect the system that is a part of it. If your mission is biker gangs then I'm sure tattoos can be a part of that but if it is the elderly in a small rural community tattoo probably shouldn't be your focus.
These days, if a group of bikers in leathers and helmets arrives at a Cracker Barrel off an Interstate, it could be comprised of pastors' and deacons' wives on a weekend outing: and one or two of them or more might happen to have a bit of ink, maybe even faith or family based.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These days, if a group of bikers in leathers and helmets arrives at a Cracker Barrel off an Interstate, it could be comprised of pastors' and deacons' wives on a weekend outing: and one or two of them or more might happen to have a bit of ink, maybe even faith or family based.

Of course a "group of bikers" and a "biker gang" can be entirely two different things.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course a "group of bikers" and a "biker gang" can be entirely two different things.
Oh, absolutely, yes! :)

And a biker tattooed with some stark, embarrassing figure; and a biker grandmother tattooed with grandkids' names around praying hands, or whatever, are vastly different also. Apples and oranges; it makes no sense for folk to lump together all tattoos as if they were somehow all the same. (Not that you were doing this.)

Have a good Christmas!

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, absolutely, yes! :)

And a biker tattooed with some stark, embarrassing figure; and a biker grandmother tattooed with grandkids' names around praying hands, or whatever, are vastly different also. Apples and oranges; it makes no sense for folk to lump together all tattoos as if they were somehow all the same. (Not that you were doing this.)

Have a good Christmas!

True just as all words are not equal or all things we wear. "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial."

Upvote 0