Is Diablo 2 okay to play for christians

jesusfreak407

Nov 21, 2003
✟197.00
My mom is kind of getting worried that Diablo 2 is "taking me over" and that it is satanic and I shouldn't be playing it. I say that the basic concept of the game is christian. You are good, working with angels fighting demons. Yes if you are not a strong christian I could see how this effects you, But i am strong and read my bible and feel that this game is not influencing my life. I just need some feed back so plz respond.

Bowser

Oct 12, 2003
Silent Planet
Visit site
✟407.00
Faith
Christian
I feel that a game's a game. Unless you're getting distracted in your Christian life and beliefs then I feel the game's okay.

I used to have a lot of fun playing Doom. Is it a Christian game? Absolutely not, but I did have a lot of fun with it and it never did change my outlook on life and Christianity.

If your mom doesn't want you playing the game, then don't play it. She may feel it's just taking up too much of your time, or she may just not be comfortable with you playing that type of game.

Upvote 0

Raterus

He Slices! He Dices!
Sep 2, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,670.00
Faith
Christian
Look at the cover, you tell me.
diablo2_off.jpg

Does that look like a game a Christian should allow the holy spirit to witness, I think not. This world is obscessed with death and the occult. It saddens me when I see Christians so pulled into the worlds way of thinking, especially through games such as this. You may kill "Satan" in this game, but the real Satan is sitting back laughing, because he certainly has you if you think playing this game is honoring God.

From an ex-Diablo2 player who knows exactly what this game contains, evil.
--Michael

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
With the overtones of paganism and magic/sorcery I would say at the least it is questionable in light of scripture. Sure it’s just a game but…

Deuteronomy 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. 14 For these nations, which thou shalt possess, hearkened unto observers of times, and unto diviners: but as for thee, the LORD thy God hath not suffered thee so to do.

Isaiah 47:9 But these two things shall come to thee in a moment in one day, the loss of children, and widowhood: they shall come upon thee in their perfection for the multitude of thy sorceries, and for the great abundance of thine enchantments. 10 For thou hast trusted in thy wickedness: thou hast said, None seeth me. Thy wisdom and thy knowledge, it hath perverted thee; and thou hast said in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me.12 Stand now with thine enchantments, and with the multitude of thy sorceries, wherein thou hast laboured from thy youth; if so be thou shalt be able to profit, if so be thou mayest prevail. 13 Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee.

There are many more references but those two are pretty clear. I don’t really mess with most of those games any longer and if your Mom thinks you should stay away from such games then I would say she speaks wisely. I can’t say I entirely stay away from games with this element because I do play (have played) some MMORPG’s that have it. I don’t really play casters though (personal preference) and mainly play for the social reasons. A lot of the regular RPG’s seem pretty dark in my opinion and I’m turned off by most of them.

Oh and I played Diablo 2 as well but that’s one game that really turned me off and wound up hardly being played until I wiped it off my computer. Right now I have Never Winter Nights on my computer that basically is a repeat of what happened with Diablo 2. I’m starting to learn how not to waste my money.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Raterus said:
Look at the cover, you tell me.
diablo2_off.jpg

Does that look like a game a Christian should allow the holy spirit to witness, I think not. This world is obscessed with death and the occult. It saddens me when I see Christians so pulled into the worlds way of thinking, especially through games such as this. You may kill "Satan" in this game, but the real Satan is sitting back laughing, because he certainly has you if you think playing this game is honoring God.

From an ex-Diablo2 player who knows exactly what this game contains, evil.
--Michael
haha, I laugh at your ignorance :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
rwl said:
As said before... A game is a game. Recognize it for what it is.

There are minor satanic undertones in the game. It's marketing. It's what sells. Ultimately you are the one responsible for yourself, your actions, your beliefs.

You seem rather passionate about your view. I’m not exactly sure what you are trying to say about the subject or your position. Can you elaborate in more detail so I can grasp your point regarding this?

Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Durelen said:
He posted a pic of the box and said "Does that look like a game a Christian should allow the holy spirit to witness, I think not."

He's basically one of those "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] magic, its satan!!!" peeps.

Upvote 0

rwl

Insert witty comment here
Nov 21, 2003
W. Hartford, CT
Visit site
✟1,123.00
Faith
Christian
Durelen said:
You seem rather passionate about your view. I’m not exactly sure what you are trying to say about the subject or your position. Can you elaborate in more detail so I can grasp your point regarding this?
I'm not really passionate about it. I just know I played Diable 1 and 2 a little and they were alright from a game standpoint. But from a Christian standpoint the game effected my faith in no way. I can seperate reality from a fictional game.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
armed2010 said:
He posted a pic of the box and said "Does that look like a game a Christian should allow the holy spirit to witness, I think not."

He's basically one of those "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] magic, its satan!!!" peeps.
What did you think of those two biblical passages I quoted in a previous post? If you separated the “magic” from the game and held it up to the light of scripture how would it hold up?

I often debate in my mind how far does a game need to go in presenting “magic” before it crosses some line and is deemed offensive to God. Can it be possible that even a little magic represented in a game can be too much? How about a book? Even Tolkien was oh so careful how he presented magic in his visionary world. Yet looking at how magic is portrayed in such works as the LOTR “books” compared to a game like Diablo 2, which really was made with no prohibitions towards the occult, is strikingly different.

Upvote 0

Durelen

+|-|3
Sep 30, 2003
California
Visit site
✟873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
rwl said:
I'm not really passionate about it. I just know I played Diable 1 and 2 a little and they were alright from a game standpoint. But from a Christian standpoint the game effected my faith in no way. I can seperate reality from a fictional game.
I’m not really referring to the fiction of a game but the elements of it. And what elements of the game which we experience within the game is a real experience in a way. Maybe not directly but it is something that is motioned in our environment. So to say if one plays a game that the player is required to commit a murder but in the confines of the game, what is the impact on the heart for even that brief moment? And if it is repeatedly done again and again how less of an impact on the heart does it instigate. And at what point does the act of murder become common to the heart in the confines of the game? Yet this is stimulation to the heart even though it is just a game. And if our hearts become hardened do we feel it to be so?

And even to the Occult, as we experience it does it become less alarming to us in our day to day lives. But, maybe not enough to plunge us into human sacrifices, but enough to turn our heads and hearts just a little away from a lost and dieing world? The Devil does not need to destroy us; just making us spiritually sterile is fine to him. Yeah yeah there is his picture and name right on the cover. I remember that game.

Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

rwl

Insert witty comment here
Nov 21, 2003
W. Hartford, CT
Visit site
✟1,123.00
Faith
Christian
Ahhhh... Gotcha. I do agree with all that. In addition can show you instances how I've become numb to certain things because of media, movies, TV.....

However I think you might want to look at different games like Max Payne, Resident evil, Silent Hill (never played but have heard)... The more realistic games. Diablo is very cartoonish. Whereas the other ones strive for realism.

Upvote 0

Faranor

Razorsharp
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
✟15,281.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't think any game is "evil" and should be avoided in general. Some people on the other hand should avoid certain games. I trust myself regarding games, since I don't get influenced by them. Some people are influenced by them, and they ought to stay away from such games. So on the bottom line, it's up to yourself if you "see yourself fit" play Diablo 2 (or similar games)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2003
✟301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jesusfreak407 said:
My mom is kind of getting worried that Diablo 2 is "taking me over" and that it is satanic and I shouldn't be playing it. I say that the basic concept of the game is christian. You are good, working with angels fighting demons. Yes if you are not a strong christian I could see how this effects you, But i am strong and read my bible and feel that this game is not influencing my life. I just need some feed back so plz respond.
Genesis 3:4

I say that the basic concept of the game is christian.
You trust yourself to descern over what your mother does? Exodus 20:12 Deut 5:16 ( Deut 20:18 this may not be in force because the world does not follow Gods laws but this is how seriously the Lord thinks about a child that disobeys his parents.)

You are good, working with angels fighting demons.
Where in the Bible does it tell us that we work with angels to fight demons? The only power we have is what is given us by Jesus. Do you cast out these demons in the name of Jesus? This is just another sublte way of leading you astray. Matthew 7:22 the only way to cast out demons.

Spend the time you devote to that game which was not designed by God to draw you closer but by satan to draw you away, in the word of God to draw you closer to him and where there is safety.

Upvote 0