✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So I'm finding old friends online lately and I find that instead of saying they are Christians on their profiles, they almost all say "follower of Jesus". Is this a new trend in Christianity? Is it sort of like the motto "Christianity is a relationship not a religion"?

Thanks!

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I only heard of it recently. It may have started with those working with Muslims, to many of whom "Christian" is virtually identical with "United States". Let's face it, this country has not been too careful at what it sends overseas.
It may be just as well. "Christian" is becoming meaningless, and is used by many who don't believe in such things as the resurrection, virgin birth, divinity of Jesus. Tests administered to self-described "Christians" show near majorities, sometimes real majorities, either don't know or don't believe bedrock Christian doctrine as recorded in
Scripture and affirmed in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds.

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I only heard of it recently. It may have started with those working with Muslims, to many of whom "Christian" is virtually identical with "United States". Let's face it, this country has not been too careful at what it sends overseas.
It may be just as well. "Christian" is becoming meaningless, and is used by many who don't believe in such things as the resurrection, virgin birth, divinity of Jesus. Tests administered to self-described "Christians" show near majorities, sometimes real majorities, either don't know or don't believe bedrock Christian doctrine as recorded in

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

That's what I was thinking was happening, but on the other hand, I keep seeing this among Christians in the US who consider themselves to be conservative. I wonder if it matters to them how we are perceived overseas. My thought was more that it was a fear that the label "Christian" was losing meaning, but I'm really mostly interested in where evangelical Christians would say the origins came from and how long this trend (or what the proper label may be) has been in place.

Upvote 0

Ryan897

Drummer For Thresh-Hold
Jul 6, 2008
pontiac, MI
✟7,763.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
i have seen what your talking about. and one even sayed i love jesus he is my saver and my light. my name is ****** i smoke weed love to drink and am a party king.

this is someone who goes to my church and "lover" of God.

it happens most in youths i think. and like someone said they have no idea what it is to be christian and say it so people think better of them

Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ironically "follower of Jesus" tends to denote a level of commitment lower than "Christian" (Christ-like) to me. There were many people who "followed" Jesus throughout His ministry, some perhaps for the excitement. Fewer actually took His teachings and let them transform them into a Child of God.

But it's just semantics. I understand the intent. It's more useful to demonstrate what you are in how you treat others and how you live your life.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I dunno...When I use the term follower of Christ Jesus...I'm referring to this:

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

Which IMHO...denotes action in addition to words...dying to one's self...a sacrificial life given to Him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I'm finding old friends online lately and I find that instead of saying they are Christians on their profiles, they almost all say "follower of Jesus". Is this a new trend in Christianity? Is it sort of like the motto "Christianity is a relationship not a religion"?

Thanks!

I will never be ashamed of being a Christian. Ever. Im glad i fit the 'stereotype'. I am glad i have the love of the Lord within me.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't read any posts on this thread yet (alot of times I like to give my own replies first, then go thru & see what others say)

I personally believe that Christians are believing all the lies being said to manipulate them into changing & compromising in ways like this.

I also find that it's a form of pride at the source. "I'm not like all those OTHER "christians" who are a lousy witness, and I refuse to be associated with them, I'M DIFFERENT".

They're elevating themselves in a way without even realizing it. I have news for them, they're just as lousy a witness as the ones they point fingers at - probly only in different ways that they can't see.
Starting with the separation of themselves from others "lower" than them.

I'm a CHRISTIAN. I will never be ashamed or change the name due to others PC manipulation or intimidation or false accusation.

Reactions: PeacaHeaven
Upvote 0

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
I don't know if this is a trend starting to pick up or what, but calling yourself something different is nothing new, and I don't find it in any way as denying Christ. Even the early believers were referred to as followers of "the Way" before they were called "Christians" (see Acts).

It's really nothing but a label, and my take on it is most likely it's people wanting to be radical than be stereotyped into a label.

A good example that taught me this was back in college, we had open Bible Studies in the dorms so that anyone can stop by and join in. One time, this guy came across and started asking questions to the Bible Study leader, and the conversation went something as follows (exact wordings no longer remembered):

Visitor: So what are you? What do you believe in?
Leader: I follow Jesus Christ.
Visitor: No, I mean, what are you: Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.?
Leader: I don't belong to any of those groups. I follow Jesus Christ, not a human institution.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Leader: I don't belong to any of those groups. I follow Jesus Christ, not a human institution.
Well, if he's non-denominational, that's technically correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this is a trend starting to pick up or what, but calling yourself something different is nothing new, and I don't find it in any way as denying Christ. Even the early believers were referred to as followers of "the Way" before they were called "Christians" (see Acts).

It's really nothing but a label, and my take on it is most likely it's people wanting to be radical than be stereotyped into a label.

A good example that taught me this was back in college, we had open Bible Studies in the dorms so that anyone can stop by and join in. One time, this guy came across and started asking questions to the Bible Study leader, and the conversation went something as follows (exact wordings no longer remembered):

Technically you're right JT, but alot of the ones who ditch the name "Christian" carry snooty attitudes of disdain with being linked to "those Christians"....

I do agree with you about how technical it is and not a big deal, but individually, it's not a technical thing with them.
I find pride in some of it.

Upvote 0

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
Technically you're right JT, but alot of the ones who ditch the name "Christian" carry snooty attitudes of disdain with being linked to "those Christians"....

I do agree with you about how technical it is and not a big deal, but individually, it's not a technical thing with them.
I find pride in some of it.
Well, if you know that that is why they do that, then you know what's their attitude.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, if you know that that is why they do that, then you know what's their attitude.
Yes I do know some and that was a pretty common reason why.
They wanted to break away from what the world views "Christians" as. (negatively).

Some use this quote from Ghandi:
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bottom line to this whole thing is that God is not going to judge us according to what other people think about Christians.
He will judge us according to what we believe and if we repented and obeyed the laws of God or not.
What some people think about the word "Christian" has no consequence what-so-ever.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bottom line to this whole thing is that God is not going to judge us according to what other people think about Christians.
He will judge us according to what we believe and if we repented and obeyed the laws of God or not.

What some people think about the word "Christian" has no consequence what-so-ever.
In reply to what I bolded, that's so true becuz God already warned us that the world would hate us and falsely accuse us.

It's my opinion that the Christians that have bad reputations are the ones not walking with the Lord but living like the world & riding the fence.
Claiming Christianity, but their actions/works deny Him.

It won't be long before those types of Christians take on the same name the others have switched to in order to define who they are... then what do they do, make another name?

Christians have always been hated and looked down upon, I think we need to face facts and deal with it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.