Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Basically I think humans are evil. I can't stand to be around anyone for a long period of time. I've always kind of been a loner. I can't live with another person and get along with them (roommate, parent, spouse, you name it!).

Also, people just don't understand me.

I know we should work to spread the gospel. I want to do that. However, I also just want to live and be left alone to avoid conflict. Is this a sin?

The hermitic life has been one some Christians have lived, but even the hermitic life isn't one lived in complete isolation--it is still one lived connected in and with community.

But I don't think that's exactly what you're talking about here. No, being a "loner" isn't sinful; but consider the motivation of your heart and conscience.

Isolating oneself out of hatred for your neighbor is sinful; because the Christian life is a life called not to inwardness but outwardness. To pour yourself out for others.

The ancient hermits retreated into the desert, but not because they despised humanity, but out of love. Devoting themselves to lives of prayer and meditation and contemplation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Basically I think humans are evil. I can't stand to be around anyone for a long period of time. I've always kind of been a loner. I can't live with another person and get along with them (roommate, parent, spouse, you name it!).

Also, people just don't understand me.

I know we should work to spread the gospel. I want to do that. However, I also just want to live and be left alone to avoid conflict. Is this a sin?

I'm exactly the same. I feel more alone and miserable, when I'm in a large group of people. In fact, I used to say that the most horrific thing you can do, is tell me we're going to a large party with a hundred people, and I am required to attend.

It is almost a given that the fewer people in the room, the more open and responsive I'll be. The more people, the more I end up a recluse, usually finding some isolated spot in the room to hide.

Whether it is sin or not, I don't know. There is lots in the Bible to suggest that we are supposed to be with other people. But to say it is a sin to prefer to be alone, would be a bit of a stretch.

Upvote 0