Is Atheism a Religion?

V

Vid5331

Hello, I have a question for (some) Atheists. If Atheism is not a Religion, then why do you insist on preaching it? This is a completely serious question and i'm not "bashing"
There are a lot of Atheists, i have noticed on these forums (and some others) that say how worthless and annoying Christian religion is... Alright when the ladies come knock on your door and start pointing the Bible verses at you, I completely understand how annoyed you get.. But is it really any different when you go too a Christian community and say there believing a lie? and waste your time arguing about something that you claim you don't even believe in the first place? and yet you manage too stay on Christian forums all day and talk about Christianity even more than most Christians on this? And by doing this you have become a sort of Atheist missionary. No less annoying than the people you call "Bible thumpers" ....... Peace

CC added: MOD Hat

Bubba1301

Mar 14, 2006
St. Louis, Missouri
Visit site
✟8,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay... ummm if you're hoping to have Atheists answer, then this is in the wrong area - this is the Christians Only section. But if you're looking for Christian responses here's my $.02

It depends on what you are meaning by "religion". In society today words have often lost their original meaning.

People "religiously" brush their teeth, go to work, eat the same food.
... in this sense religion is being used as a descriptor for routine and repetitive tasks.

However, if you are talking about a belief system - the religion of_____ then you are looking more to the practices of that particular group of people.

Atheism can be argued as a "religion of non-religion". They routinely march forward "preaching" their doctrine of no God(s) and that there is nothing more beyond. Though most Atheists would argue against the use of the word "religion" because to them it may imply the belief in the supernatural.

I encourage you to ask the question of the Atheists you are talking with: "What do you mean by religion?" just so you can all be on the same page as far as what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe atheists hold that there is a certain correlation between religious beliefs and the favoring of certain public policies (opposed by atheists).

If religious people support policies atheists abhor then it is in the interest of atheists to reduce the number of religious types so as to reduce support for those policies.

Hello, I have a question for (some) Atheists. If Atheism is not a Religion, then why do you insist on preaching it? This is a completely serious question and i'm not "bashing"
There are a lot of Atheists, i have noticed on these forums (and some others) that say how worthless and annoying Christian religion is... Alright when the ladies come knock on your door and start pointing the Bible verses at you, I completely understand how annoyed you get.. But is it really any different when you go too a Christian community and say there believing a lie? and waste your time arguing about something that you claim you don't even believe in the first place? and yet you manage too stay on Christian forums all day and talk about Christianity even more than most Christians on this? And by doing this you have become a sort of Atheist missionary. No less annoying than the people you call "Bible thumpers" ....... Peace

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But people could still believe in gods even if there were none. It would be just like the Romans or Egyptians, who believed in gods that didn't actually exist. Then there would also be people who believed in no gods, who would be Atheists.

As to it being a religion, it depends on the group. Some atheists actively disbelief in any gods, whether it be God, Shiva, Quetzcouatl, or whoever. The people who are this kind of atheist probably are the religiously Atheistic that would be classified as a religion.

Other atheists just lack belief. They don't actively disbelief, they just don't actively believe either. These would not be considered a religion.

That's my .02$.

Metherion

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I define a worldview as a system of understanding that answers five primary questions:

What is the nature of the universe?

What is the nature of humanity?

What is the fundamental problem of humanity?

What is the solution to that fundamental problem?

What happens after death?

I don't think it necessarily needs to address the question of God, since God is the answer, not the question. I think in this sense, secular humanism is definitely a religion:

What is the nature of the universe? The universe is a purely material entity that follows out of the four fundamental fources of the universe.

What is the nature of humanity? Humans are the product of natural selection and genetic mutation, and categorically like all other mammals.

What is the fundamental problem of humanity? Humanity's fundmental problem is our own ignorance of our biological natures and the natural limitations of that biological nature.

What is the solution to that fundamental problem? The solution lies in discovering the true nature of human biology that will allow us to conquer disease, scientifically structure social and political systems to suit our natures, and deal with humanity's built-in limitations through technological advancement.

What happens after death? We are purely material constructs, and therefore death is the end of existence for the individual.

Note, however, that I said secular humanism, not atheism. There are many brands of atheistic philosophies- Marxism, Nietzschean existentialism, Sartrean existentialism, postmodernism, post-humanism, etc. But the one we think of most thoroughly, as described above, is secular humanism- and this is definitely a worldview that addresses religious questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bubba1301

Mar 14, 2006
St. Louis, Missouri
Visit site
✟8,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a question Metherion, if there were no God(s) would we have a desire for the supernatural? Would we have an instinctive pull toward doing the "right" thing as opposed to simply doing whatever we wanted?

I think that if God did not exist we would have no concept of right / wrong, nor any desire to do what is "right". Right (Good) and Wrong (Bad) are defined by the very nature of who God is. God has also placed within our hearts a natural desire to seek him out. If there were no such things then there would be no point to establishing any of the religions.

Upvote 0

gwenmead

On walkabout
Jun 2, 2005
Seattle
✟10,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. Well... I'm not exactly sure how to address your questions, mainly because it seems like you're approaching atheism from a theist mindset, which doesn't quite match up with how atheists look at things. But, at the risk of sounding like I'm not actually answering the question, I'll put a few things out there anyway, in the hopes that it might clear things up a bit.

Atheism is not a religion. Yes, I realize that CF classifies it as such for convenience, but it isn't actually a religion. Atheism is nothing more or less than a position on the existence or non-existence of a god or gods. Theists believe in a god or gods. Atheists do not. Period.

Beyond that, given that one's thoughts about god will end up coloring one's approach to the universe a lot of the time, you will often find similarities of belief among atheists. A lack of belief in a deity means that an atheist will not include a deity in their beliefs about the origins of the universe, for example.

Nonetheless, despite some commonly held ideas, there is no inbuilt atheist hierarchy. There is no unifying set of rules and there are no required beliefs, beyond "atheists do not have a belief in a god or gods." Consequently, even the commonly held values are not absolutes by a long shot. There is no atheist missionary program either, though one guy from Australia did go door-to-door as a kind of one-shot psychological experiment. (He videotaped him and his buddy and the responses they got. One old guy hit them with a rake, he was so angry at their disbelief.)

That includes the value of whether or not to be outspoken about one's atheism. And if so, where and when it's appropriate to be that way, and why.

Atheists (myself included) visit sites like this for a variety of reasons. Some of us are seeking to understand the religion which dominates our culture by interacting with members of that religion directly. Some of us are finding ourselves among the most vilified members of our society, and we go public in an effort to combat misperceptions about who and what we are. Some of us are just argumentative by nature. Still others take issue with the increasing efforts many theists make to erode people's rights (or interfere with, say, science education), and speak up as a way of fighting back.

Others believe in challenging beliefs which we find spurious and unjustified. Still others don't give two shakes of a rat's tail what anybody thinks of them, and spend their lives quietly living under everyone's radar. You'd never know such people were atheists, if you didn't ask.

The one thing that I find a bit unsettling about questions like "Why are you speaking up; you're just wasting your time" is that there is an implication that atheists should shut up and mind our own business, and not "bother" anyone else with our opinions.

That would certainly help theists preserve their own faith, because then no one would ever challenge it. But I say, if a believer is really interested in finding out the truth, then they are not served by living in a theological vacuum. It's easy to believe in something if that's all everyone around you tells you is true. I should probably also note that I was raised to value the free and open exchange of ideas, so I am not a fan of censorship in any form (even though I put up with it under certain circumstances). If someone is uncomfortable with my being an atheist and talking about it, I think that speaks more about their own fears than it does with any right I might have to talk openly about what I believe.

I hope that helps a bit.

Upvote 0

tocis

Warrior of Thor
Jul 29, 2004
Northern Germany
✟10,966.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If Atheism is not a Religion, then why do you insist on preaching it?

No one does.

Alright when the ladies come knock on your door and start pointing the Bible verses at you, I completely understand how annoyed you get.. But is it really any different when you go too a Christian community and say there believing a lie?

Only once you're out of christianity do you really notice how pervasive it is. I feel it over here in Germany, and we're much less zealous than the US population. That should tell you something.

Now imagine being an atheist in a culture where the religion you now consider both wrong and harmful (you'll disagree here of course, but for the sake of this discussion please assume it to be true for a moment) is being promoted and celebrated at every corner. Imagine being considered unfit to hold public office or another position of influence, based solely on "oh, she's an atheist so we can't trust her to have ethics". Imagine this, and much more. 24/7/365. Constantly.

Maybe then you will start to understand why some atheists have decided to, using my own words, "fight back".

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello, I have a question for (some) Atheists. If Atheism is not a Religion, then why do you insist on preaching it?

I don't preach it. I may encourage Christians to think logically, or to understand atheists a little better, but I don't seek converts.

and yet you manage too stay on Christian forums all day

I spend no more than an hour per day posting, and I post in other venues, some of which have nothing to do with Christianity.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I define a worldview as a system of understanding that answers five primary questions:

What is the nature of the universe?

What is the nature of humanity?

What is the fundamental problem of humanity?

What is the solution to that fundamental problem?

What happens after death?

Sounds fine. This seems to describe a worldview quite well.

I don't think it necessarily needs to address the question of God, since God is the answer, not the question. I think in this sense, secular humanism is definitely a religion:

Hold on! Worldview =/= religion. A religion has a worldview, but a worldview need not have (or be) a religion.

Note, however, that I said secular humanism, not atheism. There are many brands of atheistic philosophies- Marxism, Nietzschean existentialism, Sartrean existentialism, postmodernism, post-humanism, etc.

Thank you for recognizing this.

But the one we think of most thoroughly, as described above, is secular humanism- and this is definitely a worldview that addresses religious questions.

It seems to me that before you really have a religion, there must be an answer to the questions:

What is the Divine?

What is the proper relationship of human beings to the Divine?

Secular Humanism would have no answer to that, and so it is a nonreligious worldview.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's a question Metherion, if there were no God(s) would we have a desire for the supernatural? Would we have an instinctive pull toward doing the "right" thing as opposed to simply doing whatever we wanted?

IMV, yes, and that's what we have right now.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0