IS 2 COR 3:6 SPEAKING ABOUT THE NEW COVENANT ?

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟201,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everlasting covenant.

AIONIOS

The KJV translates Strong's G166 in the following manner: eternal (42x), everlasting (25x), the world began (with G5550) (2x), since the world began (with G5550) (1x), for ever (1x).

I do search out using the Greek and Hebrew lexicons ... often provides clarity ... I use strong's mostly ... people have their preferences.
And I have both and THEY are not perfect as many Greek scholars can not ever seem to agree on many word translations

of today !!

dan p

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of the rituals avail. As David said:

Psalm 51:16
For You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You take no pleasure in burnt offerings.

The conservative Rabbi keep the rituals even without the temple. But they know it is just an object lesson.
‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.' Isa 29:13, Matt 15:8

For they are all uncircumcised of heart. The Israelites are the same. Their bodies are circumcised, but they
are uncircumcised of heart. Their hearts are unchanged because they do not keep my covenant with them.’ Jer 9:26

Now do not be stiff-necked, but yield yourselves to the Lord; and enter His sanctuary, which He has sanctified forever, 2 Chron 30:8
A glorious high throne from the beginning Is the place of our sanctuary. Jeremiah 17:11-13

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Their hearts are unchanged because do not keep my covenant with them.’
Yes we have been talking about that. They preach and teach lawlessness. So God is not happy with them. We are the ones that benefit the most when we follow the commandments of God. He wants the very best for us.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And I see that many still believe that they sill have to believe that the OLD COVENANT is still in operation !!
A covenant is a legal contract between us and God. He is absolute and perfect Justice. IF we do out part then we can be sure that God will do His part. For example: Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Of course we should align our heart with the heart of God so we only desire the best of what He wants and has for us. If we do our part to delight in the Lord we can be sure He will do His part to give us the desires of our Heart. So we should desire what is good, right, proper and true so we can receive the best of what He has for us.

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.' Isa 29:13, Matt 15:8
For they are all uncircumcised of heart. The Israelites are the same. Their bodies are circumcised, but they
are uncircumcised of heart. Their hearts are unchanged because they do not keep my covenant with them.’ Jer 9:26
Yes we have been talking about that. They preach and teach lawlessness. So God is not happy with them. We are the ones that benefit the most when we follow the commandments of God. He wants the very best for us.
“Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, (right standing with God), You people in whose heart is My law:
Do not be upset by insults of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings;
For the moth will eat them up like a garment, And the worm will eat them like wool;
But My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation from generation to generation.” Isaiah 51:7-8

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟732,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The new covenant is "new", as attested to by God (according to the writer of Hebrews).

In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. (Heb 8:13)​

God used the word, "new" purpose when He told Jeremiah of the new covenant which was to come because He was indicating that the first covenant was going to be made obsolete. That's why one is called "old" and the other is called "new". The fact that the new covenant is better than the old covenant does not detract from the fact that it is new.
The old covenant made at Sinai was not the commandments, but, on the part of the people, an agreement to keep God's law (conditional), and on God's part a promise to give them certain blessings conditional upon obedience.

The law was that concerning which the covenant was made, but it was not the covenant itself. The weakness of this covenant was the fact that it was based on the principle, “Do and live,” whereas the people could not do, because they were carnal and trusted in the flesh, and therefore were unable to fulfill the covenant provisions. God knew that in their mere human strength they would be unable to keep it, and evidently the reason it was given was that it might serve as an everlasting lesson to man regarding his utter helplessness without God.

It has always been about do and live (reliance on the Lord) believing the Lord ... and still is. God does not change.

Hebrews 7:22
Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Hebrews 8:6
Now, however, Jesus has received a much more excellent ministry, just as the covenant He mediates is better and is founded on better promises.

Hebrews 8:8
But God found fault with the people and said: "Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

The salvation offered in the old covenant is the same offered in the new. (it would be fulfilled by Messiah - the better promise)

In the "new", however, a greater, more complete revelation of the God of the covenant and the love that He has for fallen humanity has been revealed. It is better in that everything that had been taught through symbols and types in the Old Testament its fulfilment in Jesus, whose sinless life, His death, and high-priestly ministry were symbolized by the earthly sanctuary service (Hebrews 9:8-14).
The fact that the new covenant is better than the old covenant does not detract from the fact that it is new.
It does with some .... because some claim/teach the 10 commandments (moral laws) were done away with (became obsolete) and this is not so. There is nothing wrong with God's law that He should do away with it ... there was something faulty with the ceremonial sacrificial system as it had no redeeming qualities within it (ie blood of animals not sufficient) ... so the earthly sanctuary system was abolished.

The earthly sanctuary system became obsolete, (because the earthly sanctuary system never did have any redeeming qualities within itself) the law (10 commandments) did not become obsolete as some propose. The earthly sanctuary system was showing us how salvation would take place through the shed blood of Jesus.

We will all be judged ... to judge there must be law ... it is a lawful term. Those believing in redemption through Christ whether in ancient times (promise of Messiah to come - and He did) or now (promise of the Messiah to come again) will be saved .... it's the same promise as given in Genesis ... nothing new.

The lamb ... slain from the foundation of the world to take away sin is not new ... the salvation plan has always been in place (before creation) therefore not new. If it was in place before creation ... it's not new.

The law (the 10 moral law) was not abolished. The earthly sanctuary system was abolished.

Matthew 5:17-18 King James Version (KJV)Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The law (the 10) are in place forever (the everlasting covenant) spans both Testaments ... not done away with.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟201,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The old covenant made at Sinai was not the commandments, but, on the part of the people, an agreement to keep God's law (conditional), and on God's part a promise to give them certain blessings conditional upon obedience.

The law was that concerning which the covenant was made, but it was not the covenant itself. The weakness of this covenant was the fact that it was based on the principle, “Do and live,” whereas the people could not do, because they were carnal and trusted in the flesh, and therefore were unable to fulfill the covenant provisions. God knew that in their mere human strength they would be unable to keep it, and evidently the reason it was given was that it might serve as an everlasting lesson to man regarding his utter helplessness without God.

It has always been about do and live (reliance on the Lord) believing the Lord ... and still is. God does not change.

Hebrews 7:22
Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Hebrews 8:6
Now, however, Jesus has received a much more excellent ministry, just as the covenant He mediates is better and is founded on better promises.

Hebrews 8:8
But God found fault with the people and said: "Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

The salvation offered in the old covenant is the same offered in the new. (it would be fulfilled by Messiah - the better promise)

In the "new", however, a greater, more complete revelation of the God of the covenant and the love that He has for fallen humanity has been revealed. It is better in that everything that had been taught through symbols and types in the Old Testament its fulfilment in Jesus, whose sinless life, His death, and high-priestly ministry were symbolized by the earthly sanctuary service (Hebrews 9:8-14).

It does with some .... because some claim/teach the 10 commandments (moral laws) were done away with (became obsolete) and this is not so. There is nothing wrong with God's law that He should do away with it ... there was something faulty with the ceremonial sacrificial system as it had no redeeming qualities within it (ie blood of animals not sufficient) ... so the earthly sanctuary system was abolished.

The earthly sanctuary system became obsolete, (because the earthly sanctuary system never did have any redeeming qualities within itself) the law (10 commandments) did not become obsolete as some propose. The earthly sanctuary system was showing us how salvation would take place through the shed blood of Jesus.

We will all be judged ... to judge there must be law ... it is a lawful term. Those believing in redemption through Christ whether in ancient times (promise of Messiah to come - and He did) or now (promise of the Messiah to come again) will be saved .... it's the same promise as given in Genesis ... nothing new.

The lamb ... slain from the foundation of the world to take away sin is not new ... the salvation plan has always been in place (before creation) therefore not new. If it was in place before creation ... it's not new.

The law (the 10 moral law) was not abolished. The earthly sanctuary system was abolished.

Matthew 5:17-18 King James Version (KJV)Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The law (the 10) are in place forever (the everlasting covenant) spans both Testaments ... not done away with.
And you say that the 10 moral Laws were not Abolished , but all The OLD COVEANT was abolished at the cross . PERIOD

This is what the HOLY SPIRIT had Paul write in Rom 13:8-9 !!

For the precept ,you shall not commit adultery , you shall not murder , you shall not steal , you shall not testify falsely , you shall not desire after , and if there any different different commandment , it is summed up in this , namely , You shall love your neighbor as yourself .

dan p

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
because some claim/teach the 10 commandments (moral laws) were done away with (became obsolete)
Jesus said many who are lawless will not be accepted. The WORD MANY catches my attention. We know that MANY people today say we do not have to follow the law of God. Jesus tells us the outcome is not going to be good for them.

Matthew 7 "22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’"

Matthew 5:19-20 in the Bible says that those who refuse to obey commands and teach others not to obey will be the least important in the kingdom of heaven, while those who obey commands and teach others will be great in the kingdom of heaven. The verse also says, "I tell you that if you are no more obedient than the teachers of the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven".

Notice this is two fold, to obey and to teach others to obey.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟201,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said many who are lawless will not be accepted. The WORD MANY catches my attention. We know that MANY people today say we do not have to follow the law of God. Jesus tells us the outcome is not going to be good for them.

Matthew 7 "22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’"

Matthew 5:19-20 in the Bible says that those who refuse to obey commands and teach others not to obey will be the least important in the kingdom of heaven, while those who obey commands and teach others will be great in the kingdom of heaven. The verse also says, "I tell you that if you are no more obedient than the teachers of the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven".

Notice this is two fold, to obey and to teach others to obey.
YOUR answer on Rom 13:8-9 on POST # 127 when you have time ?

dan p

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
YOUR answer on Rom 13:8-9 on POST # 127 when you have time ?
Love God, Love our neighbor, Love ourselves. Yes ALL 613 laws tell us how to do that. But remember Jesus added a word that we do not see with Moses. We go from heart, soul and strength to heart, mind, soul and strength. Only Jesus can add to what we receive from Moses.

Attachments

• 1716335416605.png
    1716335416605.png
    630.5 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟201,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love God, Love our neighbor, Love ourselves. Yes ALL 613 laws tell us how to do that. But remember Jesus added a word that we do not see with Moses. We go from heart, soul and strength to heart, mind, soul and strength. Only Jesus can add to what we receive from Moses.
Are you saying that the MOSICA Law is still be kept ?

danp

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that the MOSICA Law is still be kept ?
The law is our teacher, we are to do what the law tells us to do. WE are not all called to teach and those who do teach are held to a higher standard to set a better example. But Jesus set the best example of all and we are to follow His example. That means we are to keep every jot and tittle.

Matthew 5 18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

Of course to be right with God Romans 3:22 "We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ". Paul quotes David and I talked to Paul about this to have him explain what he means when he says: "It is written". Some people say when Jesus wrote on the ground, that represents: "It is written". He does not violate the law of God but He does not use it to condemn others. The law is designed for each and every individual to judge themselves. Not to judge each other.

If we judge
each other we would have to stone each other and no one would be left.

We have to be very careful when we talk about this because God is going to hold us accountable for every word we speak.
Even every letter of every word.

What part of the law are we not able to keep? Is there something that we are not able to do? Of course there is no temple but God was not /. happy with the sacrifices themselves. They are just a teacher.

Psalm 40:6
Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but my ears You have opened. Burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not require.

Paul is clear with circumcision that this is circumcision of the Heart, not the flesh. Although he did have Timothy circumcised. (Acts 16:3)

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The law is our teacher, we are to do what the law tells us to do.
Until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Gal 3:24-29
Of course to be right with God Romans 3:22 "We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ".
As it is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father [Mark 9:7-8]
and learned from Him comes to Me. John 6:45

We have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:69 [Matt 16:17]

Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; 1 John 5:1

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are not justified by faith to be lawless. God's justice is very exact and very precise. His scales are perfectly balanced. He told me that Himself. People want to blame God or accuse God. Yet He is blameless and perfectly precisely Just. We are to be as God is. This is why we have Holiness.

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As it is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father [Mark 9:7-8]
and learned from Him comes to Me. John 6:45
We have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. John 6:69 [Matt 16:17]
Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; 1 John 5:1
We are not justified by faith to be lawless.
It was not through the law that Abraham and his seed received the promise but through the righteousness of faith. Rom 4:13
God's justice is very exact and very precise. His scales are perfectly balanced.
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit. Gal 3:14
He told me that Himself.
Then tell me this, did you receive the [promised] Spirit by faith or by the works of the law? Gal 3:2
People want to blame God or accuse God.
God chose us to be holy and blameless in Christ; Eph 1:4
Yet He is blameless and perfectly precisely Just.
Him we preach that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. Col 1:28
We are to be as God is.
God is Spirit and we must worship in spirit and truth. John 4:24
This is why we have Holiness.
For Jesus who makes people holy and the people who are made holy [offering up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:4-6] all come from one source;
That is why Jesus [the firstborn among many brethren Rom 8:29] isn’t ashamed to call them brethren; Heb 2:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Then tell me this, did you receive the Spirit by faith or by the works of the law? Gal 3:2
When, where, how or why do you think lawlessness is justified in the Bible?

IF you read Paul and IF you read David we are GOOD under the law. We are JUST or justified by faith.

David will be the first to tell you about the benefit of being good. The first time I read Psalm 139 I was amazed at David's LOVE for the law of God. Because God loves us, God wants the very best for us.

IF you go to McDonalds and eat a high fat diet then there is going to be a price to pay. I do not care how much faith you have. In the Bible we are told that Eli sons were evil and wicked because they consumed a high fat diet. Break the law and there is a price to pay no matter how just or righteous you are. You well reap what you sow. Dr Ornish has proven this again and again through many studies. Not ONLY for heart disease but for many other conditions. Diabetes, Cancer and so on. I restrict salt, I restrict fat, but I do not restrict sugar or carbs so there is a price to pay for being hyper glycemic. Even though I DO NOT have diabetics. My insulin is just fine.

When, where, how or why do you think lawlessness is justified in the Bible?

God does heal me, but then He tells me if I would live right I would not get sick in the first place. He would rather we live right so that we can stay healthy. To be healthy is better than to be healed. If we to not live right then how can we be right with God? We choose life or death, sickness or health, blessing or curse. WE are constantly making decisions and there is a right and a wrong choice.

If you think being justified by faith is a license to sin and be lawless then you are wrong. Of course we can not get the cart before the horse but we still need the horse to pull the cart.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was not through the law that Abraham and his seed received the promise but through the righteousness of faith. Rom 4:13
Do you really think there are no consequences to breaking the law? The prisons are full of people like that. Jesus makes this very clear in Matthew 7:23 "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ We are not talking about a few. The Bible says MANY. "22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord," This is the verse, this is the passage we are talking about so why don't you address this verse.

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you really think there are no consequences to breaking the law?
The wages of sin is death,
The prisons are full of people like that.
Imprisoned or not, all have sinned and fallen short of God's divine glory. (Rom 3:20-24)
Jesus makes this very clear in Matthew 7:23 "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ We are not talking about a few. The Bible says MANY. "22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord," This is the verse, this is the passage we are talking about so why don't you address this verse.
That is referring to those who disdained what God had in store for them.
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven....Matt 7:21
For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister...Matt 12:50 [Made in the likeness of His Son, Rom 8:29]
He gave Himself [as a sacrifice to atone] for our sins [to save and sanctify us] according to the will of our God and Father. Gal 1:4
And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one—John 17:22
To these God willed to make known how rich is the priceless glory; which is Christ in you, partaking in God's glory. Col 1:27
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:33-36
but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 6:23

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟11,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When, where, how or why do you think lawlessness is justified in the Bible?...
If you think being justified by faith is a license to sin and be lawless then you are wrong.
If you were to reject justification by faith in Christ (Rom 10:3-4) then you would be pulling the cart in the wrong direction. (Acts 4:11-12)
Of course we can not get the cart before the horse but we still need the horse to pull the cart.
They pull their guilt and sins behind them like people pulling carts with ropes. Isaiah 5:18

If you don't believe that I am He, [the Messiah] you will die in your sins. John 8:24 ( Acts 13:38-39, 40-41)

Even now, my witness is in heaven. My advocate is on high. Job 16:19 Rev 1:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If you were to reject justification by faith in Christ (Rom 10:3-4)
Where does the Bible say that to be justified by faith means we can be lawless before God. The grace of God does a work in us to deliver us from sin and transgression. I attended a church called Grace Cathedral.

Upvote 0