Intimate learning methods

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm .. Passages:

to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:19)

the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)

If it transcends "understanding" and surpasses "knowledge" then there must be more to the "spiritual" learning process than reading books.

My proposed method of learning over time is:

Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22)

And the premise of this learning assumes

"we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16)
"our hearts read as a letter from God" (2 Corinthians 3:3)
"The nature of Christ is fully within us" (Colossians 2:9-11)
"God is actively teaching us from within all the time" (John 14:16-18)
"Mutual respect is the core of all that God teaches." (Matthew 12:28-32)

The goal of this form of learning

• To grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
  • The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus
  • The God of peace will be with us always.
Context

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:4-9)

N

Nanopants

And you will seek Me and find [Me], when you search for Me with all your heart. -Jer 29:13

'Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'
-Jer 33:3

Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know ... -Eph 1:15-18

This isn't about making up crazy theories or even "proper" scholarship. It's about experiencing the reality of the faith, and finding that same experience written in the scriptures. What is faith anyways? Is it cognitive, emotional, or what? I don't know for certain but my best guess is that it is not merely an ability to keep calm in the midst of a storm, it is not merely intellectual, and it has something to do with seeking God with our hearts.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And you will seek Me and find [Me], when you search for Me with all your heart. -Jer 29:13

'Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.' -Jer 33:3

Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know ... -Eph 1:15-18

This isn't about making up crazy theories or even "proper" scholarship. It's about experiencing the reality of the faith, and finding that same experience written in the scriptures. What is faith anyways? Is it cognitive, emotional, or what? I don't know for certain but my best guess is that it is not merely an ability to keep calm in the midst of a storm, it is not merely intellectual, and it has something to do with seeking God with our hearts.

An alternate meaning of faith is trust this works well relationally with love.

It's also about experiencing .. then remembering the scriptures in passing. God leads .. the scripture follows.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,407,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Phil.2: 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Colossians 1:27

27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Let us always know that it is Jesus in us that causes us to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

patience7

Oct 11, 2010
Louisiana
✟9,906.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm .. Passages:

to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:19)

the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)

If it transcends "understanding" and surpasses "knowledge" then there must be more to the "spiritual" learning process than reading books.

My proposed method of learning over time is:

Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22)

And the premise of this learning assumes

"we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16)
"our hearts read as a letter from God" (2 Corinthians 3:3)
"The nature of Christ is fully within us" (Colossians 2:9-11)
"God is actively teaching us from within all the time" (John 14:16-18)
"Mutual respect is the core of all that God teaches." (Matthew 12:28-32)

The goal of this form of learning

• To grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
  • The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus
  • The God of peace will be with us always.
Context

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:4-9)
Thank you - you have posted some of my favorite verses!!!

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. . . The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. . . .For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. . But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. . Psalm 103

Anyone ever notice how in Psalm 136 All 26 verses end with: for his mercy endureth for ever. . . .Neat :)

Upvote 0