Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The first discovery one will make on such an investigation, is the inconvenient truth that the word “hell” didn’t exist in first century Israel. This brings up one crucial problem when translating/interpreting the Bible apart from any scholastic work: we see English words that have specific linguistic and cultural connotations and meanings, and read those meanings into an ancient text which may, or may not, have intended to send the same meaning.
The word “hell” becomes a prime example: the word we use today, doesn’t actually appear in language until approximately AD 725– long after the first century. In addition, the word doesn’t come from Hebrew at all, but rather is ultimately rooted in Proto-Germanic. According to the The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology, the word “hell” was adopted into our vocabulary as a way to introduce the pagan concept of hell into Christian theology– which it did quite successfully.
Therefore, we know right off the bat that when we read scripture in English, we’re not actually reading what was originally said and risk reading into the text instead of getting back to the original historical and grammatical meaning of the text.
What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell

Thought this "formerly fundie" article (that was on my FB newsfeed somehow) was really interesting.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
This author believes in annihilationism--which is in line with the Jehovah Witnesses doctrine. I've heard this 'theory' before, from my old JW friends--it's nothing new. The founder of the JWs couldn't fathom some of his relatives in hell, so he re-wrote parts of the bible to say that hell isn't a real place in the after-life.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Excellent historical perspective on Gehenna, though as with the Old Testament, Jesus' words had an immediate or nearly immediate reality to them as well as a deeper, longer term spiritual fulfillment to them. As it is said in the book of Daniel, some will wake up to shame and everlasting contempt.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Nice video, LivingWordUnity. What I couldn't understand with my Jehovah Witness friends is the fact that only some people's souls would be immortal. The "chosen" ones to go heaven (as a soul after death), others live forever as humans on earth (perhaps with-out a soul?) and those not "chosen" died, soulless. I never could understand how that worked. Were they born soulless or lost their soul somehow?
If you go by the fact that all humans have an immortal soul, they have to go somewhere after death. They don't just disappear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
'Hell' is just an English word made up to describe what Jesus says He is going to do to the unrepentant wicked. We can make up any word to try to describe the horrible fate of the unrepentant wicked that Jesus is going to punish them with. The real emphasis should be put on what Jesus warns the unrepentant wicked as to what He is going to do to them for all eternity. Simply stating that the English word 'hell' did not exist until 725 A.D. does not mean that hell, where Jesus damns the unrepentant wicked for all eternity, did not exist before this time.

NAB MAT 25:41

Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.' Then they will answer and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?' He will answer them, 'Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.' And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (ISA 58)

NAB2 LUK 16:19 The Rich Man and Lazarus

"There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man's table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.' Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.' He said, 'Then I beg you, father, send him to my father's house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.' But Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.' He said, 'Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' Then Abraham said, 'If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'"

NAB REV 22:12

"Remember, I am coming soon! I bring with me the reward that will be given to each man as his conduct deserves. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End! Happy are they who wash their robes so as to have free access to the tree of life and enter the city through its gates Outside are the dogs and sorcerers, the fornicators and murderers, the idol-worshipers and all who love falsehood."

The Blessed Mother's revelations on hell

The first part is the vision of hell.

Our Lady showed us a great sea of fire which seemed to be under the earth. Plunged in this fire were demons and souls in human form, like transparent burning embers, all blackened or burnished bronze, floating about in the conflagration, now raised into the air by the flames that issued from within themselves together with great clouds of smoke, now falling back on every side like sparks in a huge fire, without weight or equilibrium, and amid shrieks and groans of pain and despair, which horrified us and made us tremble with fear. The demons could be distinguished by their terrifying and repulsive likeness to frightful and unknown animals, all black and transparent. This vision lasted but an instant. How can we ever be grateful enough to our kind heavenly Mother, who had already prepared us by promising, in the first Apparition, to take us to heaven. Otherwise, I think we would have died of fear and terror.

We then looked up at Our Lady, who said to us so kindly and so sadly:

“You have seen hell where the souls of poor sinners go.
To save them, God wishes to establish in the world devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If what I say to you is done, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thought this "formerly fundie" article (that was on my FB newsfeed somehow) was really interesting.

The concept of hell comes from the New Testament. The origins of the English word for it is really meaningless.

"which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning"

At protestant schools. I am not sure what he means by 'competency' either. People learn how to translate or understand Greek. It takes a phD in ancient languages to be competent.
which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell

which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell
which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell

which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning– - See more at: What Jesus Talked About When He Talked About Hell

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The concept of hell comes from the New Testament. The origins of the English word for it is really meaningless.

"which is why competency in Biblical languages or at least Koine Greek, is a mandatory requirement at legitimate institutions of higher theological learning"

At protestant schools. I am not sure what he means by 'competency' either. People learn how to translate or understand Greek. It takes a phD in ancient languages to be competent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Just wondering where the immortality of humans is found in the bible?? I read that God along is immortal--immortality is given to the saved, at the last trump, when we are changed into incorruptible beings and have access to the tree of life. How can the lost live forever when they do not have access to the tree of life, they have not been changed and given incorruptible bodies. How can the lost be given eternal life which is promised only to the saved?? In order to burn forever, they have to live forever.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not destroys, tortures them by burning them alive for all eternity.

They're dead.

People who reject God at the end of life, who sincerely want nothing to do with God, get exactly what they want, the total absence of God.

Hell is not the place for people who made the wrong decision in terms of religion. It's the place for those who at the end of life, reached a place of permanency. They cease to exist in time. There is no change. Whatever they are on the deepest level is now forever.

They reject God, which means they live in a perpetual state of contradiction, a perpetual lie. Nothing that exists exists apart from God, but that is what they are. Nothing that comes into being does not reflect an aspect of God, yet, they want nothing to do with who they are.

God gives them the freedom to do so. They do not want to be destroyed. They want to perpetuate the lie that is who they are. If they hated the lie they were, they would embrace God. They want to continue living as a lie, as a contradiction. They are self destructive upon themselves, but they do not want to be destroyed.

I imagine that the description of fire or torture pales in comparison to the hell of being such a creature, a creature they wish to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering where the immortality of humans is found in the bible?
This tract from Catholic Answers gives the scriptural basis for the existence of Hell: The Hell There Is!.

I read that God along is immortal--immortality is given to the saved, at the last trump, when we are changed into incorruptible beings and have access to the tree of life. How can the lost live forever when they do not have access to the tree of life, they have not been changed and given incorruptible bodies. How can the lost be given eternal life which is promised only to the saved?? In order to burn forever, they have to live forever.
Since those who are saved are raised with a glorified and incorruptible body, my personal speculation is that perhaps the inverse might be true for the damned. I wonder if perhaps they might be raised to live forever in an "undead" or zombie kind of state and with that kind of body. I don't know if this is the case for the damned. And I'm not wishing this on anyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just wondering where the immortality of humans is found in the bible?? I read that God along is immortal--immortality is given to the saved, at the last trump, when we are changed into incorruptible beings and have access to the tree of life. How can the lost live forever when they do not have access to the tree of life, they have not been changed and given incorruptible bodies. How can the lost be given eternal life which is promised only to the saved?? In order to burn forever, they have to live forever.

People have immoral souls, not immoral bodies.

When we die, we are left with an immortal soul. Without an immortal soul, there is nothing left.

Upvote 0