Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 9:7-17, 25-29 (6/1-6/14) Nineteenth Reading in Kellia through Deuteronomy

Intercession: Deuteronomy 9:7-17, 25-29, especially vs. 26: “Therefore I prayed to God and said, ‘O Lord, O Lord, O King of the gods, do not destroy Your people and Your portion You redeemed through Your great strength, Your mighty hand, and Your outstretched arm.’” At the dismissal of the Divine Liturgy, the Priest prays: “May Christ our true God...have mercy on us and save us, forasmuch as He is good and loveth mankind.” Invariably, language is inserted into this prayer qualifying its simple, basic petition with numerous added phrases: “...through the intercessions of His all-immaculate and all-blameless holy Mother; by the might of the precious and life-giving Cross, by the protection of the honorable bodiless powers of heaven; at the supplications of the honorable, glorious Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist John; of the holy, glorious and all-laudable apostles; of our father among the saints, John Chrysostom, archbishop of Constantinople; of the holy, glorious and right-victorious martyrs; of our venerable and God-bearing fathers; of [the patron saint of the Church]; of the holy and righteous ancestors of God, Joachim and Anna; of [the saint of the day] whose memory we celebrate and of all the saints: have mercy on us and save us...,” etc.

The Church, as God’s People, relies on the intercessions of the Saints with the Lord for our immediate problems, but more so for His mercy and salvation. Intercession has thousands of years of history. Even the righteous Noah interceded for all living things upon leaving the ark, for he “...built an altar to God...and offered whole burnt-offerings on the altar” (Gn. 8:20). God responded to Noah with this promise, “...‘I will never again curse the earth because of man’s works, although the mind of man is diligently involved with evil things from his youth, nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and spring shall not cease by day or by night’” (Gn. 8:21,22).

As God revealed His People’s sins, the state of their souls, and their many needs to His Prophet, so Moses responded as an intercessor. First, the Lord directed Moses to “‘Arise, go down quickly from here, for your people you have brought out of Egypt have acted lawlessly’” (Dt. 9:12). God alerts him to an evil situation demanding earnest prayer, and the Prophet hastens down to see for himself and finds that the people have “...turned aside quickly from the way I commanded them...” (vs. 12). Coming to the camp, Moses discovers their grievous sin of blatant idolatry: they have cast a golden statue of a calf and are worshiping it (Dt. 9:16; Ex. 32:4-6). He turns directly to intercession and pleads for the people before the Lord (Dt. 9:18).
Notice that when the Lord informs the Prophet of the idolatry at the foot of the mountain, He refers the Israelites, those ancient People of God, as “your people” (vs. 9:12) instead of “My people.” The bond between us and God and the Saints, results from common union in Christ. Being joined to us in Christ, the Saints know our necessities and care for us and our welfare far more than we can imagine. Still by sin we cut ourselves off from them and from God.

After Moses observed for himself what was happening, he knew exactly what was required. He did not think what to do; but, by a godly movement of his heart, he “...prayed before the Lord; forty days and forty nights...because the Lord said He would destroy [them], therefore [he] prayed to God and said, ‘O Lord, O Lord, O King of the gods, do not destroy Your people and Your portion You redeemed” (vss. 25,26). The Saints willingly, and eagerly pray for us in our needs before the throne of God. Let us humbly, thankfully, and earnestly seek their aid.

O protection of Christians, mediation unto the Creator most constant: be thou quick, O good one, to hasten to intercession and speed thou to make supplications, O Theotokos.

DYNAMIS!
A publication of St. George Orthodox Christian Cathedral
Wichita, KS

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Acts 21:8-14 (Epistle)

8 On the next day we who were Paul's companions departed and came to Caesarea, and entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him.
9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied.
10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.
11 When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.' "
12 Now when we heard these things, both we and those from that place pleaded with him not to go up to Jerusalem.
13 Then Paul answered, "What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."
14 So when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, "The will of the Lord be done."

John 14:27-15:7 (Gospel)

27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.
29 And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe.
30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.
31 But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.
1 I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Upvote 0