Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
We are wonderfully and fearfully made, in the image of our Maker. Most Christians know that they are more than what their eyes can see – their body. Scripture teaches us that there is a soul and a spirit as well.

When our bodies are wounded, we know it. We can see a bruise or a cut. If the wound is on the inside, like an ulcer, we can feel it. But, what about the parts of us which are unseen? We know that we’ve been wounded, but we’re not sure what to do about it.

A lot of people these days are on prescription medication, for physical or psychological reasons. Medical doctors prescribe these drugs, and pharmacists fill the orders as though candy at a candy store.

Some may help with the actual ailment, if it’s physical. Others may mask the problem, making it worse.

Sometimes, the wound happened so long ago that the person can’t even remember the event. They’ve perhaps buried it, and self-treated themselves with mood elevators or other substances for so long that they don’t remember it any longer.

They’ve anesthetized themselves to reality and have continued on their merry-go-round existence, thinking that it (and maybe they) don’t matter. But, it does matter. And, so do they – matter – to God and to others.

What is, or what are, the answer(s) to being set free from these inner wounds? The first thing to know is that there is help available. They don’t have to always suffer these inner wounds, no matter how long they’ve been there.

We can find in the book of Proverbs, chapter 4, verses 20-22, that God’s Word is medicine to all our flesh. It is God’s Word that will heal us, spirit, soul, and body.

One of the things that is necessary in order to receive the fullness of the healing that’s available to God’s servants is the willingness to go through the process to get at the root cause(s) of it, and to allow the Lord to put His supernatural medication on it.

Putting medicine on an open wound can really sting for a bit (I do remember the Iodine and the Merthiolate from childhood), but it was necessary in order to stop infection. Dealing with past inner issues is somewhat like that, too. But, it only hurts for a moment until the salve is applied. Then, the soothing begins.

There are perhaps pictures, or thoughts, words, ideas, or other things stored up in your memory bank. These things really happened to you, or to someone else.

Some of them may have been very traumatic. (Consider the death of a loved one.)

If we have not dealt with the grief of the loss, for whatever reason, it’s still in there. Or, maybe you were the victim of a crime, or witnessed one. If you haven’t dealt with the emotions associated with these traumas, or other traumas, they are still there.

When something happens that even subconsciously reminds you of the event, you react with the same emotion as you had during the original event. If what happened made you feel afraid, for example, and then a future event occurs that even remotely resembles the initial circumstance, you’ll feel fear again – as though it had just happened. (It could be something you see, hear, smell, taste, or feel that is similar to the initial situation.)

There are books written on this subject – on the relationship between trauma and the re-enactment of the initial response. I’m not going to write on that subject – just to bring it to your attention that those feelings have a root cause for them.

There is freedom on the other side of trauma and pain. I know this from experience, as well as from what I’ve studied. If you’re willing and ready to deal with the inner issues that have perhaps plagued you for years, here are some things that can help you through the process.

1. Instead of merely trying to forget that traumatic event of the past, face it. It can’t hurt you any more. Look at that memory. It’s just a memory.

Now, invite Jesus to come into that thought with you. He will come in. He’ll come between you and that memory, whatever it is. He is the Prince of Peace, and He will bring His peace into that memory, and you will no longer continue to relive it. That’s not your destiny. Your destiny is to be free!

If you start with the most troubling thoughts first and are relieved from continuing to relive them, you’ll then understand that the others will be less difficult to conquer.

2. Sometimes “old tapes” from the past start replaying in our minds, and at the most inopportune times. What I have done with these is to ask the Father to cut them. I picture them as an actual tape, and I see Him cutting them with scissors. They can then no longer replay.

3. The Word of God is powerful to use in our inner healing, otherwise known as “healing of the memories.” Memorizing and meditating on (including speaking it out) Philippians 3:13-14 does wonders for healing the memories. I have also found 2 Corinthians 5:17, when personalized, to be very beneficial.

“I am a new creature in Christ (one that has never before existed). Old things are passed away, and all things are become new.”

God’s Word has all the answers we need for every situation. He promised, in Psalm 1 and in Joshua 1, that if we will meditate on His Word day and night, we will succeed.

If we think His thoughts, which are supernatural, instead of our own thoughts, we will experience this inner healing and have peace. If there are any unresolved conflicts going on inside of you, I invite you to go through the process that brings relief.

Think about what you’re thinking about. And, then exchange His thoughts for those that are troubling you, and He will give you rest for your soul.

Ann Doupont
August 1, 2005