Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
An inmate is suing the Utah Department of Corrections for denying him his right to practice an ancient Nordic religion while behind bars.
Yahoo News

Do you agree that he should be denied these items? If so, what would you think of Christian inmates being denied religious objects (Bible, rosary beads, etc.)?

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
...in order to properly practice it he needs items including: a Thor's Hammer, a prayer cloth, a Mead Horn used for drinking Wassail, a drum made of wood and boar skin, a rune staff and a sword.
Personally, I don't think he needs all those things to practice Asatru or worship his gods. A Thor's hammer can be on a pendant, and really I don't see anything wrong with having all the things he's requesting except for the sword. He definitely does not need a sword.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I don't see a problem with him having some of those things as long as they do not go against the jail policy. Some inmates get all sorts of things depending on if they're high-security or not. If they can get a tv in their cell and other such things then whats wrong with a drum or a boar skin?

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The religious right, IIRC, pushed for this law (the religious persons land use act, which has a section on incarcerated people), and it's led to some.....interesting, let's say, litigation.
I don't see a problem with him having some of those things as long as they do not go against the jail policy.
Again IIRC (but I'm pretty darn sure), the law specifically notes that the mere existence of a policy of general application is an inadequate justification for refusal to accommodate the religious practice. "We have this policy, and it wasn't intended to discriminate against the plaintiff" works in many cases, but the law specifically gives the whammo to that kind of argument.

Upvote 0

Peterk45

Jul 3, 2007
✟7,911.00
Faith
Other Religion
Personally, I don't think he needs all those things to practice Asatru or worship his gods. A Thor's hammer can be on a pendant, and really I don't see anything wrong with having all the things he's requesting except for the sword. He definitely does not need a sword.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I don't see a problem with him having some of those things as long as they do not go against the jail policy. Some inmates get all sorts of things depending on if they're high-security or not. If they can get a tv in their cell and other such things then whats wrong with a drum or a boar skin?
But that was the whole point for the lawsuit? Thor's Hammer WAS on a pendant that he requested.

A bit better article here
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695237521,00.html

"Sahs Swords can be made of cardboard due to institutional restrictions," Polk wrote.

He didn't want any actual swords, just anything to fulfill the need for those ritual items, harmless objects like cardboard, and was denied that.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Bull, you don't lose your right to religious expression in prison.

Agreed. If inmates are allowed to practice other religions then what's the problem with one practicing Asatru? If the items aren't things which are regularly denied then there shouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bull, you don't lose your right to religious expression in prison.
Depends on the scope of the right. I doubt there's a first amendment right to a cardboard sword. There is, however, a statutory right through the laws passed with the urging of the religious right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums