United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sculptor Tolton
Forrest Tucker uses a sculpting knife to trim a clay bust of Father Augustus Tolton at his home in Danville, Ind., March 20, 2024. Father Tolton, a candidate for sainthood, is the first recognized priest of African descent in the United States. He was declared "venerable" by Pope Francis in 2019. (OSV News photo/John Shaughnessy, The Criterion)

DANVILLE, Ind. (OSV News) — The thrill couldn’t get any better — or so Forrest Tucker thought.

As a longtime welder for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and as a talented sculptor, Tucker was honored to be asked to create a lasting tribute to the four race car drivers who have won the Indianapolis 500 four times.

Beginning in 2019, Tucker has sculpted four bronze bricks in honor of A. J. Foyt, Al Unser Sr., Rick Mears and Hélio Castroneves, with their names and the years they won the race on the bricks, which have been placed among the Speedway’s original red bricks at the start-finish line.

“To do something in the racing world that is part of the history of the Speedway — and my part will be there long after I’m gone — it’s the honor of a lifetime,” said the now-retired, 65-year-old Tucker, a member of Mary, Queen of Peace Parish in Danville. “I got a chance to meet the drivers and had some good conversations with them. I got a really close look at who they are as people. They’re all unique, as Christ made us.”

While Tucker will always admire these four legends in the racing world, he has a deeper spiritual connection to someone he also regards as an American hero — someone who is on the path to potential sainthood, someone whose remarkable life has challenged Tucker to create a sculpture that captures the essence of that person.

Unexpected inspiration​

Continued below.