In war, is it worse to kill the enemy or to allow a comrade to be killed?

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was watching the Saving Private Ryan movie and was wondering about the part where the US soldier is a coward and allows the German soldier to kill one of his comrades. He later kills the German soldier.

Generally speaking, which is worse killing the enemy or allowing the enemy to kill a comrade?

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was watching the Saving Private Ryan movie and was wondering about the part where the US soldier is a coward and allows the German soldier to kill one of his comrades. He later kills the German soldier.

Generally speaking, which is worse killing the enemy or allowing the enemy to kill a comrade?

war is wrong

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

war is wrong
The third day is coming soon.

3 And many people shall go and say, Come you, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

I'd say it is always better (nobler if you will) so save a life, than to take one. That doesn't change in war, even if in war the taking life part is a necessary evil.

Perhaps but David was not able to build the temple. Even though that was were he wanted to be the most.

Psalm 84:10(NIV) 10 Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]22:6 Then he called for Solomon his son, and charged him to build an house for the LORD God of Israel.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]22:7 And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]22:8 But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight. [/FONT]

Upvote 0

Insane_Duck

Because ducks are just awesome like that.
May 29, 2011
✟1,763.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

In the big picture, I would say that it depends who is fighting the war for unjust reasons. (i.e. resource acquisition, land, ethnic reasons vs. legitimate defense of one's nation) And even then both sides often are in the wrong in that sense.

That being said in most circumstances I can't say that there would be any personal moral reprehensibility. (again depending on the circumstances)

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Depends on the persepective. As a combat vet it is worse to allow a buddy to be killed. As a Christian it is worse to kill the enemy.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I tend to think that doing something is more significant than allowing something. Since I don´t believe in "us vs. them" ideologies I think the first is worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What if the war came to you? Chickens have been known to come home to roost eventually.

I would take a bullet to the head with no complaint. What goes around...really goes around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums