"In three hours, Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell"?

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I must say, I disagree with this statement. While there is no question crucifixion is a most excruciating way to die, it did have an end. We are told Christ died, was dead and buried, descended into hell, and on the third day rose again, ascended into heaven and now sits at the Right hand of God. Three hours of torture followed by an eternity of glory, love, peace and happiness.

One final thought: What is worse: War or Hell? While you are thinking about that, consider this as well: How many innocent bystanders are there in hell?

Bear.Fr00t

Fruit Inspector
May 5, 2010
✟16,022.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In addition to the physical suffering, there was spiritual suffering. The exact details of Christ's suffering is not revealed to us, only the fact that it was accepted as a guilt offering for the sin of believers (see Isaiah 53:10-12)

Indeed Jesus suffered at the hands of the Father for our sin.

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The physical suffering is not what that quote referred to: it refers to the full wrath of the Father poured out for the sins of all the elect, past present and future, all at once, on Jesus. Perfect unending righteous anger. That would probably hurt. A lot.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I must say, I disagree with this statement. While there is no question crucifixion is a most excruciating way to die, it did have an end. We are told Christ died, was dead and buried, descended into hell, and on the third day rose again, ascended into heaven and now sits at the Right hand of God. Three hours of torture followed by an eternity of glory, love, peace and happiness.

One final thought: What is worse: War or Hell? While you are thinking about that, consider this as well: How many innocent bystanders are there in hell?

I see you noticed my siggy. :D

It's a line from a wonderful song. Here it is if you're interested.

YouTube - Timothy Brindle - The Humility of Christ

The physical suffering is not what that quote referred to: it refers to the full wrath of the Father poured out for the sins of all the elect, past present and future, all at once, on Jesus. Perfect unending righteous anger. That would probably hurt. A lot.

Bingo. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Eternal conscious torment. War doesn't compare to that.

Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Perfect unending righteous anger. That would probably hurt. A lot.
As I said, there is no question the entire experience was incomprehensibly painful, however, unlike hell, it did eventually end. "Into thy hand I commend my spirit. It is finished."

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Again, I ask: How many innocent bystanders are there in hell?

Hell: the sentence meted out by God the perfect judge for the eternal punishment of the unrepentant.

War: conflict entered into by two or more groups or entities.

It's like comparing prison to a tornado.

Is your argument that war is worse than hell, and by extension, worse than eternal conscious torment?

I think the more sound argument would be that hell is more just, because God who sends people to hell is omniscient and omnipotent, so He never condemns the "wrong" person.

Obviously, the works of God will be perfect, while the works of men won't.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As I said, there is no question the entire experience was incomprehensibly painful, however, unlike hell, it did eventually end. "Into thy hand I commend my spirit. It is finished."

Do people in Hell deserve to be there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Spirko

Who feels more pain? A man who trips and falls off a curb while crossing the street? Or a man who falls off a three story balcony?

The reason that Christ's suffering is greater is because, as the incarnate Holy and Righteous Creator of the Universe, He had far further to fall (so to speak).

One final thought: What is worse: War or Hell?

Having been in war, I'd have to say Hell.

While you are thinking about that, consider this as well: How many innocent bystanders are there in hell?

None.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
we must be careful when we begin to read between the lines in scripture. It is dangerous to imagine or speculate, what is not clear if it raises doubt. The bible does indeed give us everything we need to know about salvation. The clear scriptural fact is that Christ paid the price for our sins by being crucified. Scripture is clear that in doing so He bore all our sins, physically and mentally. It is also clear in His cry from the cross.."my God my God, why hast thou forsaken me" that God the father had forsaken and turned his back on Christ.. during his crucifixtion Christ experienced the horribleness and terror of the wrath of God, and the utter dismay of His absence. We must remember that at the time of Christ crucifixion there were two thieves by his side suffering the same physical torment. But in no way were suffering the same mental anguish or wrath from God. Ther punishment was for there wrongs alone, Christ bore the wrongs of every man women or child that ever was or was to come. The fact that one of the thieves experienced salvation on the cross proves the fact that a loving God was still very much available to them. The important biblical fact here is not whether or not christ suffered more in three day's than an eternity in hell.....but that he suffered, so that you and i could be spared from suffering in hell.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. An eternity of magma where you can't ever die sounds infinitely more terrible then hanging on a cross till you die.

It wasn't just that. The Father inflicted Jesus with the total punishment due for every sin of all who would believe in Him and for three hours He endred all our punishment completely on our behalf.

By way of comparison, if we die in our sins, we would spent an eternity in hell, just for own sins, enduring a debt which to us is unpayable.

That collective eternal price is what He endured as only God Himself could ever endure that. I doubt that anyone in hell will ever come close to the torment inflicted on Jesus because of our sin.

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although it's highly ambigious, the problem with that statement is that htose threee hours ended. An eternity in hell would eventually surpass the torment that Christ felt mathematically and logically speaking. But that's implying God follows logic when orchestrating these events, so I dunno.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
religious&reasonable said:
Although it's highly ambigious, the problem with that statement is that htose threee hours ended. An eternity in hell would eventually surpass the torment that Christ felt mathematically and logically speaking. But that's implying God follows logic when orchestrating these events, so I dunno.

But since God's wrath was satisfied (1 John 2:2) Christ suffered as much as all believers would have suffered in eternity. I can apprehend it, but can't comprehend it. But it's still true.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
One problem with that logic is the assumption that one could use mathematics to measure both God and eternity. Do you think that God and eternity are limited by the constraints of what we understand as "time"?

Upvote 0

Blazin4Christ

Glory to God, and God alone.
Mar 16, 2004
U.S.A., East Coast,
✟912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Descended into hell: If He really went to hell, then why did he promise the thief he would be with him that day in Paradise?

physically, the cross may have not been the worst suffering ever. But the spiritual aspect spoken of in Israel is the most excurciating, the Garden, God's wrath pouring out on His Son. If God did not quench His wrath for sin and justly punished His own Son then it would have been an empty sacrifice. So yes, in three hours Christ suffered all of humanity's wrath.

Hell is worse. War is purgatory. I am soldier, as horrible as it is, it cannot compare to what God made for Satan and his angels.

Define an innocent bystander, because common grace (verses special grace), makes clear there are no innocent bystanders, all must answer to God.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one in hell is going to be saying to themselves "hey, they've got the wrong guy!" Everyone who is there will know they deserve to be there. As far as Christs suffering goes, I don't think we should attempt to compare. Who knows what it felt like for an eternal God to die or to bear all the sins that ever happened. It could be so terrible that all the sinners in hell combined would never experience that level of torment. A human only has a limited capacity to suffer..I could only assume God has an unlimited capacity. I wouldn't want to try to bear Gods pain..it is unimaginable in any context.

Upvote 0