In defense of the plain old Gatorade bottle

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
So I buckled and bought a couple of polycarb bottles, because of the markings, so I don't have to take a seperate measuring cup in my pack. But can't I add those markings to the Gatorade bottles, which are light, flexible so they can be frozen for those midsummer hikes, and which have wide enough mouths to come clean in the dishwasher? Obviously unbreakable, not just shatter resistant. Plus when you first get the bottles, they're filled with something that keeps me hydrated very well, although it's not the best for your teeth. Someone remind me why I spent too much for polycarbs again?

boilerblues

Jul 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because when you pour boiling water in it the gatorade bottle will soften or melt. At least that's why I picked up lexan Naglene bottles. I had a white plastic one and used it to measure boiling water for a dehydrated meal on a backpacking trip. Because it was plastic it got soft and slipped out of the holder as I picked it up, spilling boiling water on my ankle. So I went with the lexan bottles.

I have 3 lexan Nalgene bottles and I get my money's worth out of them, I carry the narrow top ones everywhere with me for water. The wide mouth I use backpacking and it's usually used to measure water for meals.

For day hikes I use a camelback.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Nalgene bottles I've seen in the stores seem to be kinda brittle. I didn't buy any because I'd be concerned about them cracking from my pack getting dropped or banged around. Therefore, I'm still using the same ol' plastic Army canteen and generic plastic bottle I've been using for 18 years.

Upvote 0

boilerblues

Jul 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GrinningDwarf said:
The Nalgene bottles I've seen in the stores seem to be kinda brittle. I didn't buy any because I'd be concerned about them cracking from my pack getting dropped or banged around. Therefore, I'm still using the same ol' plastic Army canteen and generic plastic bottle I've been using for 18 years.

There's a lot of imitation Nalgene bottles out there, they aren't worth much. The real lexan Nalgene bottles are pretty tough. The only way I've damaged any of mine is I filled one and put it in the freezer to cool off, and forgot about it. It's a little deformed, but it's fine. Lexan is what they make riot shields out if, it's a very tough material. You'd probably have to work to break it, or do something really hard on it.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
boilerblues said:
There's a lot of imitation Nalgene bottles out there, they aren't worth much. The real lexan Nalgene bottles are pretty tough. The only way I've damaged any of mine is I filled one and put it in the freezer to cool off, and forgot about it. It's a little deformed, but it's fine. Lexan is what they make riot shields out if, it's a very tough material. You'd probably have to work to break it, or do something really hard on it.

Sounds good, but how do I tell the lexan Nalgene from an imitation?

Upvote 0

boilerblues

Jul 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GrinningDwarf said:
Sounds good, but how do I tell the lexan Nalgene from an imitation?

It'll say "Nalgene" on the bottle and will be the clear, hard plastic. I think they only have white plastic and lexan. Most places just have the lexan. Check your local outfitter, they all carry them.

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like my Nalgene. I got the old wide-mouth grey model, before all the fancy colors and shapes Nalgene has now, back when only backpackers knew what Nalgene's were. Stay away from the Nalgene imitations, they're not as durable. I also like that my MSR MiniWorks screws onto my Nalgene when I'm pumping water. I don't care about the measurements on the side, I've never used them.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
That's a good point about the hot water. I forgot about that.

The ones I have right now are Cyclone. I do expect they'll get beat up, especially seeing the condition of my Gatorade bottles so it'll be interesting to see how long they last. My pack has a tendency not to hold bottles very well unless the pack is fully loaded and the compression straps are fully extended.

I would avoid Lake N Trail bottles through because I get the impression they're imitating gear that's out there without using or testing their own gear on the field. For example, the tether on one model is so tight it cannot be removed for washing and then replaced afterward. So when you wash it you have to keep the tether on, and it seems there's enough room for water to get underneath the band and probably mold, but you'd be hard pressed to get a towel under there. So I just ripped the tether off. With the Cylcones the tethers are removed easily, particularly with the smaller verseion. I'm guessing the tethers are the same size for both because the fit is a bit tighter on the large.
I haven't tried the Nalgene yet. Sierra Trading Post has some on sale but they're yellow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unique

Handmaiden of God
Mar 31, 2004
North Carolina
Visit site
✟22,738.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd swear by my Platypus if I swore (which I don't). I used mine for a week on the Appalchian Trail (3rd year I've done this) and it was great. The 1st year I hiked a week on the AT, I used regular bottles and was so dehydrated. The 2nd year I had an el-cheapo hydration pack which busted midway through the week. But 3rd times the charm. I used a Platypus and was very well hydrated. Since the hose and mouthpiece was easy to get to, I was drinking constantly. And the Platypus is tough, I accidently dropped it while it was full of water down a hill. Not a scratch.

Upvote 0

jemima the evangelizer

Apr 15, 2005
✟255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) My daughter, who is training in ballet, got a nalgene bottle from her brother for Christmas. She lost it, or rather forgot it in the studio at school a few months later. When she went back to school after spring break, she decided just to buy gatorade every week and use that! Funny you posted about it!:)

Upvote 0

boilerblues

Jul 4, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
✟8,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unique said:
I'd swear by my Platypus if I swore (which I don't). I used mine for a week on the Appalchian Trail (3rd year I've done this) and it was great. The 1st year I hiked a week on the AT, I used regular bottles and was so dehydrated. The 2nd year I had an el-cheapo hydration pack which busted midway through the week. But 3rd times the charm. I used a Platypus and was very well hydrated. Since the hose and mouthpiece was easy to get to, I was drinking constantly. And the Platypus is tough, I accidently dropped it while it was full of water down a hill. Not a scratch.

Those things are life savers, I would be horribly dehydrated if it wasn't for them. When backpacking I carry a camelback and one Nalgene bottle, sets me up pretty well for a day of hiking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums