USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Everyone: my grandparents, cousins, family friends, uncles and aunts, and my own parents sometimes, they all say that my issue with my Visa has to do with Orthodoxy. I just want this to end, I don't know how I can be a light to them when my own situation makes them think I am wrong and they are right, especially when the rest of my family got back (even when some of them treated me and my sister bad).

I am getting desperate being practically the only one here, and I cannot even get into the church yet.

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everyone: my grandparents, cousins, family friends, uncles and aunts, and my own parents sometimes, they all say that my issue with my Visa has to do with Orthodoxy. I just want this to end, I don't know how I can be a light to them when my own situation makes them think I am wrong and they are right, especially when the rest of my family got back (even when some of them treated me and my sister bad).

I am getting desperate being practically the only one here, and I cannot even get into the church yet.
How would being Orthodox cause an issue with getting a visa?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They think God is punishing me or preventing me to come back to the US in order to go to an Orthodox Church.
Oh wow, that's quite a reach considering plenty of Orthodox immigrate to the US every day.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m sorry David. I didn’t realize you were on your own. I misunderstood your previous posts. This is a difficult trial but I don’t think you’re walking through the valley for naught. The situation is forcing you to lean on and into Him. He must be all.

I underwent something similar when I went to the synagogue. My grandmother was offended (she’s Catholic) and did not encourage its embrace. She wanted me to deny my heart and heritage.

But my reconciliation to God and everything that followed has ministered to them each. I am the one they seek for counsel and prayer. My faith and unwillingness to quit has earned their respect and admiration. And they are moving deeper in Him because they’ve seen His impact on me.

Have you ever seen a lighthouse while a storm raged? Notice its rigidness and foundation. The winds blow and the waves crash. But it remains steadfast and rooted. With its beacon shining bright. Come what may. As must we.

You will never know the depth of your tether until its shaken. You cannot gauge your capacity to stand until you’re tried. Stand firm and behold the salvation to come. He’s right beside you and will never forsake you.

I will pray for your homecoming. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They think God is punishing me or preventing me to come back to the US in order to go to an Orthodox Church.

St Mary of Egypt was alone for most of her life. so I don't think this is God punishing you for becoming Orthodox.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

On your bolded point - and I'm not Orthodox yet, so I hope that other Orthodox can concur on me and come to the same conclusion I have - or correct me - is that at some point, you have to recognize that people have free will. I often fall into this temptation that I am going to (at some point) be the one who brings Orthodoxy to people, that will convert entire communities to Orthodoxy - maybe my family will become Orthodox, maybe my city will become Orthodox, maybe I'll find a girl who will be Orthodox, maybe I'll bring Orthodoxy to people who wouldn't otherwise believe it, maybe one day I'll be the one that roots out heresy and be the next Saint Cyril of Alexandria or Saint Mark of Ephesus!

The truth is, though, that people ultimately have to make that decision for themselves, and no matter what you do or how much effort you put into something, or how much time you put into something, some people will have such a heart that nothing you can do will bring them to Orthodoxy. Nothing. And at that point, you just have to let them go and pray for them, leave them to their own devices.

With that said, though, I would ask your Priest and / or Father Matthew privately here on this forum for help.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Also, from Jesus Himself:
Matthew 10:34-39

34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
35 For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
36 and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'
37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it. "

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@TheLostCoin It's not even about converting them, it is about using my situation as a reason to trash me and Orthodoxy.

I just feel frustrated, weak and enrage. I am already missing a week of class.

I wish I could get any answer back because I am losing patience, and if this God proving me, I am failing.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
@TheLostCoin It's not even about converting them, it is about using my situation as a reason to trash me and Orthodoxy.

I just feel frustrated, weak and enrage. I am already missing a week of class.

I wish I could get any answer back because I am losing patience, and if this God proving me, I am failing.

Sorry, just projecting my own temptations to you. I'll pray for you.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What country are you a citizen of? America is not that great it's probably a blessing yo,or not added to its tax farm.
Ecuador. I know the US has problems, and even I oppose mass migration. Nevertheless, most of what I am came from the US, even Orthodoxy. Also, this country is really bad with crime, corruption, most of the people of my age are heathens, a lot of people are self-centered who damage society and there is barely any Orthodox Church here.

However, if it is God's will to stay here, who am I to oppose him?

Upvote 0

Antoni

Aug 17, 2019
NorthEast
✟51,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My friend David, did you think anyone of those loved ones of yours would come to the Church of the crucified Christ if you yourself did not display Christ-like patience and perseverance through adversity and persecution? Did He not tell us we would have such things, as even He had to endure.

Have strength through Him, for His Word is true and He is the resurrection and the life!

Your family is against you because they are concerned they are going to lose you. They have not been illuminated by the Holy Spirit as you have to see the truth of the (Orthodox) Church. But they should be concerned, for Christ is the Lord, and it is through Him whereby your family is saved and will be saved, and our charge is to pray for them and to show love and mercy on them.

They are fearful, because they love you, and so, we must show love too, in a positive way, and allay their fears. How? Through Christ-like patience and perseverance. Have mercy on your loved ones and understanding, and pray for them. And when they insult, you offer peaceful words of love. When they yell, you speak in a calm and meek way. If they threaten, tell them you love them, with the same love you have for our Father in Heaven. That is the same love and devotion you share with God and with them, and that is why you are converting.

We run the race, not by stepping over our loved one, but through the same love. Want to find peace and joy, then have no fear, but have mercy and patience, and above all love.

Pray to Christ for strength and for patience. Pray to Christ for your family and loved ones. And do not forget that nothing worth fighting for is obtained easily. We do not get to the empty tomb and eternal life without first going through Golgotha.

Have the cross in your mind daily, and learn to see the crosses which manifest through trials in your daily walk. Discern the moments of God protecting you and guiding you and strengthening you through these trials. And praise Him and thank Him for remembering you and strengthening you, even if it were through fire. But it is through fires whereby the gold is purified so that it may reflect the glory of God.

Have Him close to you always in your heart, and you will see all these obstractles and difficulties will be overcome. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm... God punishes you. What a simplistic approach. First of all, one must learn why God created the entire world and then he will understand that God doesn't punish anyone, just we punish ourselves (or not) with our stance towards God.

Now about your visa - there can be many spiritual causes for this sorrow including the fact that - newsflash! - we aren't wiser than God. Let your relatives have a little discrimination and avoid the aggressive character which shows that the problem is with them and not with you.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Ovid Patient and tough.jpg

Unfortunately God often allows these times to speak into our lives and develop us. Fr. Anthony has done some good preaching on saint Paul in Prison. That experience was very difficult for him but he later testified in Philippians 1 how he knew it was used to advance the gospel and he later was able to testify of his joy in Christ.

Upvote 0