• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'm stopping masturbating!

Jan 4, 2011
Letchworth GC, England
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I've been struggling with this for a while, but I found the 12 steps, and I'm putting it into action. And, as an added incentive, for every week that I go without masturbating, I'll give myself *something*, I haven't decided what yet. Money is not an option, as I get it from my mother, and I'm slightly overweight, so chocolate is a no no. Could someone suggest something? And my heart goes out to anyone else trying to stop masturbating, it is extremely difficult.

alexch

Jan 8, 2011
✟15,145.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello Joshua.

I too struggle with masturbation but I've found a very good site that helped me a lot. I recommend you visit this site, try reading it all... it doesn't take too much.

mychainsaregone(DOT)org

Just as a tip: Don't fight the issue directly, don't put your focus on masturbation, don't make it your primarily goal to be free from masturbation, but instead focus on the Lord.. ''delight yourself also in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart" (Psalms 37:4). Focusing on getting free from masturbation can in itself be an idol as well, and that's very dangerous... you could start loving freedom from masturbation more then God Himself, that's why you should focus on your relationship with God... and if your eyes are set on the Light then you'll find strength to overcome without even noticing it. Now, I don't want to seem something that I'm not, as I said I struggle as well with this sin.. but I found out on my own that everytime I focus myself on getting free from masturbation and sexual sins I just can't seem to find victory... but when I focus on worshiping God and spending time with Him victory in this area is just a natural result.. yet I, from time to time take my eyes of Him and focus on the issue... that's where the battle is always lost. I pray God He'll help me keep myself focused only on Him, that's the way. Glory be to our Lord Jesus Christ.

God bless you and deliver you from this sin. Amen!

Reactions: Mixolydian
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2011
Letchworth GC, England
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Thanks for the link, Alex. And thank you for the information about focusing on freedom of masturbation being an idol, I'll make sure to focus on God rather than my masturbation. On a side note, nothing to do with the topic, would you consider Dio (the dead singer) Satanic?

Upvote 0
D

daveth

I've been struggling with this for a while, but I found the 12 steps, and I'm putting it into action. And, as an added incentive, for every week that I go without masturbating, I'll give myself *something*, I haven't decided what yet. Money is not an option, as I get it from my mother, and I'm slightly overweight, so chocolate is a no no. Could someone suggest something? And my heart goes out to anyone else trying to stop masturbating, it is extremely difficult.

You can greatly reduce your food consumption and if you go without masturbating for a week, on sunday, you can treat yourself to a little piece of bread.

Upvote 0

Migdala

Follower of Yeshua
May 7, 2010
USA
✟8,563.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What I have found is really helpful is to pray for God to just totally take away the desire to touch. To provide a way to escape the temptation altogether. The last time I was really tempted, God spoke loud and clear to me...He said "Read your Bible!". That was the way out He had provided, because my Bible was laying right next to me.

How about treating yourself to a movie, or a book?

Upvote 0

alexch

Jan 8, 2011
✟15,145.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the link, Alex. And thank you for the information about focusing on freedom of masturbation being an idol, I'll make sure to focus on God rather than my masturbation. On a side note, nothing to do with the topic, would you consider Dio (the dead singer) Satanic?

Well, I just found out about him and made some research, not very familiar with his music, but just to give you a very clear answer, Jesus said: "He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth." (Luke 11:23)... I can't say that his music is satanic or not, as I said I'm very unfamiliar with this singer, but I can clearly say that he is not serving the Lord through his music, and God surely doesn't want you to listen to that kind of music. (If that's the end point of your question)

God Bless you.

EDIT: I'm not saying that ALL the music that is not meant to serve the Lord should forbidden for a Christian to listen... but there are clearly some patterns out there and you should feel what kind of music God wants you to listen. For example I enjoy classical music (Bach, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt) and I also like Edvin Marton as a violonist, I feel like the Lord is O.K. with that, as long as I don't make it an idol or put it above Himself.

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." - 1 cor. 6:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexch

Jan 8, 2011
✟15,145.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Alex. So, would you say that if a song isn't worshipping Satan, and I don't make the singers more important to me than God, then I'll be okay?

Well, you know... I hate legalism. I hate saying: "You should give money to poor people, you should not listen to that kind of music, you should pray at least 10 times/day, you should do that and that and the other, or else you will not go to heaven". All of these things I listed are important in a Christian life but I just hate judging people based on the amount of money they give at church for example. The same with music, I can't tell you what kind of music not to listen to (certainly not Satan worship music), it is up to the Holy Spirit to convict you whenever you listen to some kind of music God doesn't think is fit for you to listen and it is up to you to respond to the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

I didn't like your final question: "I'll be okay?". Let me tell you something: You're always going to be okay, God's love for you cannot be limited by you or anything else (Romans 8:38-39) but instead God will discipline you to be more conformed to the image of Jesus Christ. But God's unlimited forgiveness for His children shouldn't give us the free ticket of doing whatever we like to do just because 'He's going to forgive us' but instead we are to respond to His love with our lives, giving our lives as a living sacrifice for what He did for us. Yes we'll fail many times, but God is there to pick us up... "Never will I forsake you, never will I leave you" - Hebrews 13:5

Glory be to our Lord Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums