Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"....because they let in murderers and thieves and rapists and who knows what else?"

Said by not just a non-Christian, but an anti-Christian. I was stunned. How can anybody be against grace?

Comments? I hope?

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look at it this way, maybe "OUR" heaven will be better off...:)

:thumbsup:

The thing is, this flies in the face of that other famous criticism of Heaven, "just a bunch of holier-than-thou goody-two-shoes. I'd rather go to hell and be with my friends. We'll all get good and rowdy."

So some people don't want to go to Heaven because there aren't *enough* so-called sinners there, and others because there are too many. :tutu:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I undrstand what you are saying.....

Some people's attitudes about heaven remind me of a quote from John Milton's "Paradise Lost".....

"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."

LOL, serve? The first thing I want to do, since Jesus washed the disciples' feet and nobody thought to return the favor, is to wash His feet.

Glad to serve Him. He deserves it.

And what good is it to reign in hell, when it's... well, when it's hell?

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
My instant bumper-sticker-like response: It isn't their heaven, it's His heaven.
tongue.gif

And they needn't worry: no one will be forced to go there against their will. :eek:

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
"....because they let in murderers and thieves and rapists and who knows what else?"

Said by not just a non-Christian, but an anti-Christian. I was stunned. How can anybody be against grace?

Comments? I hope?
I don't know the context in which this was said, but I think I understand. It's human nature to desire justice, and this person was probably looking at those who believe that a thief, rapist, murderer can enter heaven simply by a change of heart and wondering where that justice is. I don't blame them, really, particularly when said belief is often accompanied by 'non-Christians don't go to heaven.'

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Comments? I hope?

hehe.

This passage comes to mind:

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Luke 18

:)

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. So suppose someone has met all the entrance requirements but says "no thanks" at the gate. What happens then?
Why. the bouncers grab him, tell him "You don't have a choice buddy", and frog-march him inside. What did you think? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know the context in which this was said, but I think I understand. It's human nature to desire justice, and this person was probably looking at those who believe that a thief, rapist, murderer can enter heaven simply by a change of heart and wondering where that justice is. I don't blame them, really, particularly when said belief is often accompanied by 'non-Christians don't go to heaven.'

You have a point. Just last week when I was in Sunday School I confessed as my own weakness that someone can do something terrible, get off on a technicality or something, but later repent, and then among my thoughts is, "Darn, now that person is NEVER going to be punished for what they did!"

hehe.

This passage comes to mind:

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Luke 18

:)

That was my initial reaction. Something like, "Yes, they do let in murders and thieves and rapists, and praise God they do!" The "justice" angle does help explain the way of thinking, though.

Interesting. So suppose someone has met all the entrance requirements but says "no thanks" at the gate. What happens then?

IMO there is only one entrance requirement: acceptance, rather than rejection. Heaven is a gift we have already been offered. Saying "no thanks" at the gate, then, doesn't meet the entrance requirement.

Simul-post with Izzy. Now THAT is funny! ^_^

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi cerad:wave:

In my opinion I dont think anyone can meet the entrance requirements, hence the need for Jesus the saviour. He met the entrance requirements of our behalf. The punishment for all our misdeeds was on him. Jesus also referred to himself as the gate.

In my view it's less about our choices, more about what God has already done.

I also think a lot of the popular notions and cliches about heaven and hell are myths and fairy tales.................

Upvote 0

TreeHouse

Apr 12, 2011
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi cerad:wave:

In my opinion I dont think anyone can meet the entrance requirements, hence the need for Jesus the saviour. He met the entrance requirements of our behalf. The punishment for all our misdeeds was on him. Jesus also referred to himself as the gate.​

In my view it's less about our choices, more about what God has already done.​

I also think a lot of the popular notions and cliches about heaven and hell are myths and fairy tales.................​

Thanks for posting this. This very response is what just ended a relationship I had with a very conservative woman who was so ingrained into doctrinal beliefs that she could not even accept a differing viewpoint, even from someone she loved.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for posting this. This very response is what just ended a relationship I had with a very conservative woman who was so ingrained into doctrinal beliefs that she could not even accept a differing viewpoint, even from someone she loved.

*puzzled* Is that good or bad? The response, I mean.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Basically this. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes people use extreme examples to try and make their case.

What % of the population are murderers or rapists? Very small. I have been in many Christian meetings, I have only met once a man who was in prison from murder, served 30 years, came out and came to the Christian drop-in lunchtime club where I was a volunteer.

Extreme examples lead to extreme conclusions. Maybe the person mentioned in your OP would be advised to meet a few CHristians and find out that many of them are ordinary, friendly people:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TreeHouse

Apr 12, 2011
✟15,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
*puzzled* Is that good or bad? The response, I mean.

Apologies for the confusion. I meant that was what I said, almost verbatim actually, and in doing so, lost a person very near and dear to me because I chose to believe in love and sacrifice over something like fear and guilt. That being the case, I found the comment very refreshing.

Upvote 0

Radkal

Apr 20, 2011
✟187.00
Faith
Christian
I just looked over this thread and was pretty disapointed.....

If i didn't know any better i would of thought i was at a George Bush Convention....

We are Liberals - Liberal MEANS LOVE!!

We should believe that Everyone gets saved by grace and makes it to heaven and there is no hell....

So what if this guy was a jerk - he is still human just like us and we are all the same....Nobody is better than anyonelse and nobody deserves to go to heaven anymore than anyonelse...

Love Each other - or go post in the conservative section.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just looked over this thread and was pretty disapointed.....

If i didn't know any better i would of thought i was at a George Bush Convention....

We are Liberals - Liberal MEANS LOVE!!

We should believe that Everyone gets saved by grace and makes it to heaven and there is no hell....

So what if this guy was a jerk - he is still human just like us and we are all the same....Nobody is better than anyonelse and nobody deserves to go to heaven anymore than anyonelse...

Love Each other - or go post in the conservative section.

With all due respect, you're an atheist; what beliefs do YOU have about Heaven or hell? What's this "WE should believe" stuff, coming from one who doesn't? Contrary to what some may think, all Liberals don't agree on every point of doctrine, although IMO Liberals disagree with more civility than Conservatives do. Which is why I choose to identify as a Liberal even with a good many conservative religious beliefs. I am definitely Liberal politically.

On CF for two days, and you're coming in telling others who have been here for years that they are in the wrong forum, plus being an atheist telling Christians what they are supposed to believe. What gall. I hope my troll-o-meter is malfunctioning, because it is sending off huge signals, and I would rather welcome a newcomer than report a troll. Let's hope I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0