Results are only viewable after voting.

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
In my view, music downloading is a potential El Dorado of advertising for music companies and they havent figgured it out yet.

As for the legality, file sharing is not illegal. File sharing for PROFIT is illegal. It is not illegal for me to burn a copy of a cd that I purchased and give that copy to a friend. I fail to see how that is ANY different than using a program to send that CD to my friend free of charge. Sites like iTunes should be illegal because they charge for coppies of original work.

Also, songs on iTunes cost a buck, what happens if your computer crashes and...Oops, there go 1000 bucks worth of music. Ittl cost you $10,000 to fill up an iPod. Thats ridiculous. Im sorry but thats TOTALLY ridiculous.

Upvote 0

simwells

For The Sake Of Your Health DO NOT COPY
Jun 12, 2005
Chester
✟22,504.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Alecto said:
In my view, music downloading is a potential El Dorado of advertising for music companies and they havent figgured it out yet.

As for the legality, file sharing is not illegal. File sharing for PROFIT is illegal. It is not illegal for me to burn a copy of a cd that I purchased and give that copy to a friend. I fail to see how that is ANY different than using a program to send that CD to my friend free of charge. Sites like iTunes should be illegal because they charge for coppies of original work.

Also, songs on iTunes cost a buck, what happens if your computer crashes and...Oops, there go 1000 bucks worth of music. Ittl cost you $10,000 to fill up an iPod. Thats ridiculous. Im sorry but thats TOTALLY ridiculous.

BTW it may be worth checking if it is legal to do the CD copying in the US as I'd be surprised it's no longer legal here, to copy a CD for your own use such as a backup copy.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TheTruthinFiction said:
Oh great... *snip*
I was going to reply to this, and I did, but decided against continuing this childish **** due to ignorance.

But do PM me your absolutely fantabulous band's webpage, cause I and probably most others have never heard of you.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CJ

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Alecto said:
..then that is their mistake.

Alecto said:
In the USA, it is certainly NOT legal to burn a copy of a cd and give it to a friend. You can lend them the cd, or you can sell it to them, but it is not legal to make them a copy. What is illegal and what is actively enforced are not always the same thing. And you're right, it isn't much different from sending a copy of it over the internet.
As for iTunes, they have been authorised to sell the songs, and that is what they are doing. Why should that be illegal? If iTunes should be illegal, then so should the record stores, and the online shops of record labels.

Alecto said:
A dollar is hardly a bad price. A cd tends to cost between $13 - 18, usually with about 10 - 18 songs each.. and you are authorised to make yourself backups. So, if your computer crashes and you lose 1010 songs, then you're totally ridiculous for not making backups.

Upvote 0

TheTruthinFiction

Apr 5, 2005
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TerraSin said:
I was going to reply to this, and I did, but decided against continuing this childish **** due to ignorance.

But do PM me your absolutely fantabulous band's webpage, cause I and probably most others have never heard of you.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CJ
Really classy, I was brought to CF through my connections to Tool and A Perfect Circle, ever heard of those guys? Ignorance is attacking another person about their personal life, when the topic is illegal downloading, it's also ignorant when you posted yourself that the bands you know of make a .15-.35 profit on a $15 cd, where as my band makes a $4 profit on an $8 cd and again, you call me the ignorant one? Maybe we should work more on our math and skip some of the sarcasm? By the way, there have been a number of threads posted here on CF about my band, so I'm pretty sure that most of the people have heard of them,since you are in music full-time and it's obvious by the .15 profits that you could use some advertising, I don't need the advertising, we just played a show tonight to 1,800 fans, $15 a person and had to send about 450 away. I also explained that my band doesn't have a webpage, there are a few fansites, but no official site, again, we send people away every show because we are at capacity. You are struggling to live on your music, roll out the red carpet and tell us what major label powerhouse band you are in.

Upvote 0

Stormboy

Mar 23, 2004
✟59,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alecto said:
Show me the law that says

Copyright
Copyright is one type of intellectual property. The others include patents, trademarks and designs. It is a bundle of rights - economic, legal, political and moral. Copyright is a type of personal property right that is founded on a person's creative work. It is designed to protect the copyright owner against unauthorised use by others of their creative work. While there is no requirement to attain a specific literary level, the output must take a tangible form. There is no copyright in ideas.

That is of a Aus website the US maybe diffrent

Upvote 0

Lecarde

Dec 16, 2003
CO
✟762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
File sharing isn't a typical kind of stealing. You cant compare it to walking into a store, taking a guitar, and walking out.
Its more like taking your friends guitar, putting it in a cloning machine, and making a copy. Your friend still has his guitar, and you now have one just like his.
I'm not convinced its stealing at all, because you're not depriving anyone of anything but intellectual property.
My friend tells me that its legal to walk into an art gallery and take a picture of the art. This is an even better analogy since any music you download will not be the same thing as the original published work. It is typically in a degraded condition because compression will pull down the quality slightly when you rip the CD. Yes, its similar, but so is the picture you take of your favorite painting in an art gallery.
Yes, the government says it is wrong. The government also says that abortion is alright.
Take your respective governments with a grain of salt. What they say is or is not right should not be what composes your own morals. Use your brain. Just because the government says you dont have one doesn't mean its true.

Upvote 0

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
Stormboy said:
Copyright
Copyright is one type of intellectual property. The others include patents, trademarks and designs. It is a bundle of rights - economic, legal, political and moral. Copyright is a type of personal property right that is founded on a person's creative work. It is designed to protect the copyright owner against unauthorised use by others of their creative work. While there is no requirement to attain a specific literary level, the output must take a tangible form. There is no copyright in ideas.

That is of a Aus website the US maybe diffrent
In the US, it is not illegal to copy a CD and give that copy to someone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Alecto said:
Show me the law that says
Section 106(1,3)
Section 114a-b
...as simplified by Circular 56 : Copyright Registration for Sound Recordings:
Copyright in a sound recording protects the particular series of sounds "fixed" (embodied in a recording) against unauthorized reproduction and revision, unauthorized distribution of phonorecords containing those sounds, and certain unauthorized performances by means of a digital audio transmission. The Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995, P.L. 104-39, effective February 1, 1996, created a new limited performance right for certain digital transmissions of sound recordings.

Of course, Fair Use allows for limited sorts of reproduction.

Upvote 0

Nice Dream

Jun 6, 2005
✟15,736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well i feel it is wrong.

I won't stop immediately though, i will try and stop doing things that are wrong one thing at a time as that's the only way it works for me.

There is too much judgement and pressure over people to stop everything wrong in their life at once.

At the other end there is too much rebellion from people trying to justify things which are wrong as right.

[size=-1]Jesus said (about paying taxes):
[/size]15Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk. 16And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou regardest not the person of men.

17Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?

18But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites?

19Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny.

20And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way.

[size=-1]
Is this not just like saying..

'Give to the music companies what is the music companies and to God the things that are God's' [/size]

Upvote 0

SilverEagle

Assistant To The Regional Manager
Jul 1, 2005
Western Maryland
Visit site
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to do it, but my parents made me stop. I was obedient and haven't downloaded any non-bootleg material in years.

(bootlegs are cool as long as the artists are cool with it, because it was never officially realeased; that's the definition of a bootleg)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

simwells

For The Sake Of Your Health DO NOT COPY
Jun 12, 2005
Chester
✟22,504.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Alecto said:
It lays out what the person who owns the copyright is allowed to do. It never saying "The ONLY person allowed to make coppies is the owner of the copyright"

That's the whole point of it

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Alecto said:
It lays out what the person who owns the copyright is allowed to do. It never saying "The ONLY person allowed to make coppies is the owner of the copyright"

You're blowing my mind here..

my only assumption is that you don't understand the purpose of the word "exclusive" when referring to the rights given to the copyright owner. What, really, is the point of copyright law if it gives rights to the copyright owner, but none of them are given solely to that entity?

Upvote 0

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
Then why is it legal to posess cd burning equipment by the general public? If this truly DOES forbade the burning of CDs and giving them to friends, it doesnt follow that the process should be so un-regulated. And yes I know youll say "What about guns? Its legal to buy a gun yet guns are used, mostly illegally, to kill people" Theres a huge difference between splattering someone's brains all over a wall and burning a CD.

Upvote 0

ChrisLockhart

Oct 18, 2004
NC USA
Visit site
✟16,086.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There's no reason to bring guns into this.

it's not illegal to burn or copy cds, by the general public or anybody. It's only illegal if you do not own the copyright and have not been given permission to make the copies.

Upvote 0