If you had unmistakable proof that God didn't exist...

What would you do with proof that God doesn't exist?

• I'm a theist and I think I would release that evidence to the public

• I'm a theist and I don't think I would release that evidence to the public

• I'm a non-theist and I think I would release that evidence to the public

• I'm a non-theist and I don't think I would release that evidence to the public

Results are only viewable after voting.

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wouldn't release it to the public, though I am non-theist. I think immediate and drastic change from theist to non-theist on a public sphere would result in catastrophe. I think religion in general is good for a society as a whole; it aids complacency and is a useful tool for manipulation.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to assume that by God you mean my particular version of God, which is my case is Judeo-Christian. I am a theist and I WOULD release the information to the public, for one main reason.

If I had the proof and didn't spread it, I would be (at least in my own view) personally responsible for the deliberate deception of every single person who followed my God. All the hopes of Heaven, all the prayers, all the disappointments, all the time that would be wasted thinking of the afterlife that won't come and not enjoying the one we do have, and lots more would all be squarely on my shoulders. Every violent disagreement over some aspect of the non-existant deity would leave blood on my hands. EVERYTHING. I would not wish to be personally responsible for all of that. And not just things that obvious. Every person who died because money went to megachurches and not cancer research, every person who died because of religious opposition to science slowed a cure down, every possible economic problem that might be fixed if money was taken away from the (I would at that point know to be) useless cause of religion to my God would also be squarely on my shoulders for not preventing it. Every negative possible thing that could be attributed to any religions pertaining to my God that transpired from my not revealing this evidence would be entirely my fault. In the words of the lolcats, DO NOT WANT.

And plus, if I'm merely certain, but could still be wrong about it showing God to not exist, then I would want to find out if it were right or wrong, which would mean spreading it to people who could tell me if it were correct or not.

Metherion

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
I'd give the issue a lot of thought.. more than I'm willing to spend on a single forum post. :p

The consequences of the choice would be enormous. You'd single-handedly be deciding the course of history.

My gut feeling is that the world would be better of without religion, but there are enough scenarios where religion is a helpful stabilising force ("opium of the people"..), that gives people comfort, joy, etc. I sometimes wish that I could just cast aside my various doubts and troubles and just go "oh well, everything will be fine because God wills it and I'll have infinite happiness after I die". Taking that comfort away from others feels a bit.. evil. But you also have to take into account all the things that metherion mentions.

So yeah. I'd spend a lot of time thinking.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would release it.

Then again I also strongly believe that as much as I believe the evidence points to there being no God (and i'm sure many scientists have released information they believe points to the non-existence of God which they thought would convince most people) it would not change the opinions of most believers. Religion is more than changing your mind because of scientific facts/the most likely theory until something or someone comes along to disprove that theory, it goes deeper and for most runs stronger than believing someone who publishes a paper saying the Lord does not exist.

Sure some would go "oh, i've wasted my time believing in a non-existent God and a non-existent promise created to provide comfort for those troubled by their own mortality", but for others it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

And that's a long winded way of saying "Release it, i'm a theist and to be honest it doesn't really matter. Scientific papers are released every day that scientists believe point to proving such and such exists, but hundreds, nay thousands still scoff at the idea".

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would release it. Information, especially information like that, should not be kept secret from the public. Religion isn't necessary for people to function, and I'm sure that what we have now would be replaced by some other kind of worship. If the proof is only against one god, then many people would migrate to another god. If it is general proof against any god, then new forms of religion will be created. That's ignoring the millions of people who won't accept the proof anyway and will continue to worship the same god.

Overall, the proof will only make a difference to those who are willing to accept it. If they're willing to accept it, then it won't be particularly terrible for them to change. The transition would be slow and difficult, but I don't want to be the deciever of a few billion theists out there.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would keep it to myself. I would also become a person that you would be very well advised to stay far away from. Without God all is allowed but if nobody else was aware of that it would give me a huge advantage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I would keep it to myself. I would also become a person that you would be very well advised to stay far away from. Without God all is allowed but if nobody else was aware of that it would give me a huge advantage.

So, all that's holding you back from being a madman bent on killing millions of people is your belief in God? Really?

Because if that's the case I think people should be advised to stay far away from you right now.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would release it! Imagine how much people would refuse to go to war knowing that this is all they have; no afterlife! How much people would be willing to work together for a better future rather than a better non existing afterlife!
:angel:
Nonsense. History has shown that people will always sacrifice themselves for a cause; even if that cause is nothingness.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
So, all that's holding you back from being a madman bent on killing millions of people is your belief in God? Really?

Because if that's the case I think people should be advised to stay far away from you right now.
Why? :confused:

Personally, I admire the honesty of the post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I didn't say anything about killing anybody what would I wish to do that for. You misunderstand. I would live life for my own pleasure and if what pleases me discomfited you too bad. That hardly makes one a madman it only makes me selfish. The worst things I would do would be to lie and cheat and steal. Only looking to enjoy what little time I have.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Because I don't want to be around someone who is a moment of doubt away from putting a gun to my head and pulling the trigger.
I think you would be surprised just how many people are only a doubt away from putting a gun to your head.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
I didn't say anything about killing anybody what would I wish to do that for. You misunderstand. I would live life for my own pleasure and if what pleases me discomfited you too bad. That hardly makes one a madman it only makes me selfish. The worst things I would do would be to lie and cheat and steal. Only looking to enjoy what little time I have.

and, again, the only thing holding you back from this is that you think God is watching you? You cannot empathize with others enough to see that you don't need that in order to determine to be a good person? If you were to cheat and steal, you would be hurting other people. That's enough for me not to engage in those activities.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and, again, the only thing holding you back from this is that you think God is watching you? You cannot empathize with others enough to see that you don't need that in order to determine to be a good person? If you were to cheat and steal, you would be hurting other people. That's enough for me not to engage in those activities.

No not because God is watching me. Because I believe in God I believe that there is someone greater than I am. If there was absolutely no God, no one or no thing that I could look to and say that I was not equal to why would I not be prone to believe that whatever action I decide is in my best interest is right and proper? Good and evil are then become relative.

Reactions: Jnwaco
Upvote 0