If we have the Spirit of Truth, why do we lie?

T

ToBeBlessed

In the teaching thread, I was talking about how a misrepresentation of the truth or a part of the truth is as much a deception and sin as a total non-truth in God's eyes.

Since we all know this. Why do we as Christians continually deal with half truths and spread them within our own Christian communities when we know we have the Holy Spirit of Truth inside of us and that God considers deception as much of a lie as an all-out lie?

How are we justifying this to ourselves so this continues?

How do we feel about others who are our brothers and sisters in Christ spreading half truths? Does it make you value Christian friends/companionship less?

Teaching Thread Here

Last edited by a moderator:

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟445,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In the teaching thread, I was talking about how a misrepresentation of the truth or a part of the truth is as much a deception and sin as a total non-truth in God's eyes.

What Teaching thread of yours is this Peanut Gallery thread associated with?

I don't see your Teaching thread in the forum; it would be helpful if you would please provide a link to your thread.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would just like to add that on our way to perfection as per Romans 12:1-2
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God

The good Lord will let you make a mistake in order to teach you a lesson.

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

I would just like to add that on our way to perfection as per Romans 12:1-2

The good Lord will let you make a mistake in order to teach you a lesson.

That is true, but I'm speaking about half truths that are told knowing they are half truths and in sin. This makes me value so much less my brothers and sisters in Christ. When we see Christians as no better and not even trying to follow God's example, then when do we realize that there is no extra fellowship with these people other than the fact that they won't ridicule us for our beliefs?

Upvote 0

Shema Yisrael

קדוש לישוע
Feb 7, 2014
✟15,277.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
How do we feel about others who are our brothers and sisters in Christ spreading half truths? Does it make you value Christian friends/companionship less?

Teaching Thread Here
The value of my relationships with others is not based on what they do or say, but why they do or say it.

Rabbi Aron Tendler speaks well of this here:

In G-d's eyes men and women, old and young, Jewish and non-Jewish, are all equal so long as they do as He commands. The absolute is not what we do but why we do it. What we should do is what He commands us to do. What we do is not optional. The only area truly within the framework of our freewill is why we do what we do. If we do it because that is what G-d wants us to do then we are each as equal, as valuable, as righteous, and as worthy as each other. However, if we do what we do because we want to do it. If we do what we do because we decided that it is the right thing to do. If we do what we do because it fits into the immediacy of our life's circumstances. If we do what we do because of the above reasons rather than doing it because we are commanded by G-d to do so, we suffer the real danger of assigning values to each other that make "me" more valuable and "you" less valuable.

FYI: This is what I believe is the utmost commandment given by G-d:

Love the sinner, hate the sin.....I do not place value based upon the sin a person does, it's based upon the fact they are a sinner. And that we are commanded to value/love them. Not what they do, but who they are.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great thread!

Since we all know this. Why do we as Christians continually deal with half truths and spread them within our own Christian communities when we know we have the Holy Spirit of Truth inside of us and that God considers deception as much of a lie as an all-out lie?
Unfortunately sin lives in us.

In Genesis sin is presented as a living organism.

GE 4:7 ... if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."
For the sake of clarity I compare it to germs. :eek::help:

The Bible however says we should master it - so it is a process. :)

We are often blinded by the log in our own eyes.
We all have the blinders on. :)

Teaching Thread Here
When someone has a log in his/her eye, this individual is very sensitive to similar sins others commit.
I hate my log, because it is uncomfortable.
So I hate it when someone else does it ... it reminds of my own log ... which I hate. :)

Confession about my own sin often helps me manage sin that is in me as well as taking a more edifying approach to others when I see their sin.

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟568,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We still have a flesh and portions of an unrenewed mind.
If we always speak from the spirit of Christ in us we will never lie!

Our reborn spirit is incapable of sinning.

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If we have the Spirit of Truth, why do we lie?

Something must be at war in each one of us to overpower the truth ...

First remember that the Spirit of truth as promised by Jesus in St John 15:16-17

I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

The Spirit of truth is just one of the seven spirits of God.

Revelations chapter four: The seven Spirits of God stand before His throne as burning embers.

Revelations chapter five: The seven eyes of the lamb are the seven Spirits of God that have already gone out into the world.

The seven Spirits of God also should be in your quest for an answer.

Spirit of knowledge, understanding, wisdom, joy, truth, power, counseling

I just forgive them ... just let it slide, just try not to judge them, just try to love them.

Oswald Chambers said the best way to treat another Christian is to think of them as perfect in Christ Jesus.

Not so easy is it?

Upvote 0
D

Doublemint

The Spirit of truth is just one of the seven spirits of God.

Revelations chapter four: The seven Spirits of God stand before His throne as burning embers.

Revelations chapter five: The seven eyes of the lamb are the seven Spirits of God that have already gone out into the world.

The seven Spirits of God also should be in your quest for an answer.

Spirit of knowledge, understanding, wisdom, joy, truth, power, counseling

Good verse ... where is that verse about the seven ways it identified Spirit of God? Isaiah something?

Also, in the Revelation verse it may also be translated as seven-fold Spirit ... meaning one Spirit yet in 7 folds ...

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm. “Lying” is a tricky word. Sometimes, in a dispute, both people think they are telling the “truth” even though their conclusions are miles apart. One person “perceives” the facts one way, the other another and both think they are telling the “truth” and the other is lying. In situations like this, you are at a loss if you are in the middle. Only God knows the facts; you only know each person’s perception of the facts.

We do have the Spirit of truth but it is the Spirit of “Truth”, not the Spirit of facts. There is a great difference between “truth” and “fact”. A person may have all the facts and still miss the truth; or a person may not know any of the facts but yet know the truth. Truth is a person; not a system of belief. :)

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I thought I got it from the book of Isaiah, but now I can't find it ... I hope I didn't just make it up lol

Rev 3:1 KJV And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God

Rev 4:5 KJV And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Rev 5:6-7 KJV 6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Yes the seven fold Spirit of God is the same Spirit:

1 Cor 12:8 KJV For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit.

Eph 1:17 KJV That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Here are the nine fruits of the Spirit if that helps ... I know vs 25 and 26 help us all to see the truth, right?

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Galatians 5:22–26 (NKJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Here is the verse in Isaiah you are referring to:

Isaiah 11:2

:wave: ... Doublemint was my sock ...

ISA 11:2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him--
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD--

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
:wave:

ISA 11:2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him--
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD--

If we take it a step farther this prophecy is all about Jesus.
Isaiah 11:1 (NKJV)

The Reign of Jesse’s Offspring

11:1 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.

and by the saving grace of God His son Jesus lives in the heart of every believer.

Teaching us to turn him on and tune him in so to speak ... :D

Perhaps we need a warning before we post in PG

"Do you really want to post this reply"
"Have you completely read and comprehended
the rules section of this forum"

If yes continue on ...
If no click to go back to reply to thread"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Teaching Thread Here

There is a difference between having the Spirit of Truth and being the Spirit of Truth.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0