• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

If the holidays are hard...

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
*Please note: this thread is in the General Struggles forum. If you're new to Recovery, please read the guidelines before posting.*

The holiday season can be hard for all kinds of reasons; but here's a thread to chat, share, and support one another. Everyone's welcome, please make yourselves at home. :)

Recovery Guidelines

Recovery is a place for member peer support and encouragement, not as a substitute for professional care, nor a place for ethical/moral discussions. Only those who are seeking help may start threads in the recovery forums. Informational posts may be submitted to the recovery library for review to be posted.

Recovery Staff feel very strongly that members need to seek out real life licensed professional services and local pastoral care in addition to asking for support and advice here.
These things are considered off topic and will not be allowed in the Recovery forums:
Promoting yourself as an expert in your posts, or in your user title

Diagnosing anyone's symptoms

Offering treatment or any kind to other members

Prescribing/promoting medications of any kind, including over the counter or herbal remedies

Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, using or seeking professional services, using hotlines or crisis lines.

Ethical and moral discussions are dealt with in other areas of the forum. These discussions will be removed from recovery or moved to another area if possible.

Any posts dealing with, instructing or suggesting the need for spiritual warfare will be removed. Insinuating that members are possessed or that their Mental, Emotional or Physical health issues are caused by demonic or spiritual issues are not permitted. This includes the "devil is the whole problem" or "You need to get right with God" or "You do not have enough faith" type of statements would be examples of these types of posts. Linking to sites offline that address spiritual warfare are not permitted as well.

Asking or requesting that members engage in research topics or volunteer as research subjects, or links directing web-traffic to another site for this purpose is not appropriate and will be removed. Requests to post a research topic in other areas of CF need to be brought up in Support for permission and if granted, the most appropriate forum for posting it.

No polls or surveys are allowed.

Endorsement of certain topics - This is not allowed and staff will remove any posts which endorse or encourage any of the following behaviors/topics.
  • abortion
  • alcohol and/or drug use/abuse
  • bisexuality
  • extramarital or premarital sexual activity
  • gambling
  • harmful and/or hurtful behaviors of any nature
  • homosexuality
  • polygamy
  • transsexuality
  • suicide
  • violence
Recovery is a place people come to get support and encouragement in the process of stopping these behaviors/lifestyles and using the Christian faith to help cope with problems. Other areas of CF can be used for discussions of many of these behaviors/topics. Included in this rule is posting triggers to harmful behaviors.

Over the Counter & Alternative Remedies
  • Over the counter remedies can interact with prescription medications. Because of that, do not recommend what someone should take, including alternative medications. Limit discussion to your experience with a medication.
  • Cannabis (Marijuana) is an illegal drug in many states though some states have made it legal for medical purposes only. If you live in an area where it is legal for minor use or medical use, you may find more information about the drug from your physician. Discussion to promote it as an alternative drug not permitted in the recovery or main areas of CF, as this should be addressed with your physician.
Harmful or hurtful posts:

The Recovery Team Staff will remove posts or threads that we think could be harmful in any way to any member or group of members, Even if the post or thread might not be intentionally harmful. Members will receive notification if it is the only post removed or edited. If there are a group of posts being removed or edited, the thread will have a post that advises of this and states why they were removed/edited (not who specifically).

The Recovery Team Staff will edit or remove posts that we see as being a trigger for someone who is trying to stop doing some behavior. For example, a post that "argues a member should do x, y or z anyways because it doesn't matter" or "I'm just going to drink myself sick."

Because of the risk of triggering suicidal thoughts in others, we remove threats and/or endorsements of suicide. This includes posting that another member others know have killed him/herself. If you are having thoughts about suicide but have no immediate plans or intentions your posts may be able to show. Make sure to **Trigger Warn** the title and the top of your post. If you are having serious issues, log off now and contact 800-SUICIDE in the US, www.imalive.org online in the US, or www.befrienders.org for international crisis centers (found in the upper right hand corner of their site).

We want to allow you to have support from others but we must be careful not to have posts that might trigger others to follow suit. Staff will err on the side of safety and caution for other members in these situations. Please utilize local professional services such as calling 911, going to the emergency room or to a local medical clinic.

When Staff remove these suicidal posts or self harm posts of any threat or description from view we are encouraging the members to seek professional services in their local area and provide phone numbers to local crisis lines if available. Christian Forums is NOT a crisis center, nor are the Recovery Team members trained in Suicidal Intervention. Members continuing to post outside these guidelines may be banned temporarily to seek help offline.

Please note, the Eating Disorders forum may not have numbers in any format in posts, and they will be edited out without notice.

Posts that are graphic in the description of a type of event (such as in trauma that was quite abusive, details of substance use or graphic descriptions of surgery) will be edited or removed to protect others. Our site is open to those who are as young as 16, and may be read by individuals who are younger than 16.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My family lost a son/brother. His birthday was just prior to Christmas. Time doesn't heal the scar left by a traumatic loss. You move on because that's the nature of time and life. Every happy moment is bitter sweet for the empty chair at the table - the one who isn't there.

Its not just Christmas, its driving your car, or being at a party and the sudden realisation of your continuing happy life, is also a recognition of a life that's moving forward without that person in your life.

But what can you do? What should you do? I whisper to him, "I'll find you when it's my turn."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Chesterton, please don't be like that. We have more boundaries in Recovery because folks here are often vulnerable. But you are totally welcome to share what's on your mind. :)

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, Zoii. That's a hard thing to carry.
Its a sad thing to carry - But its not a hard thing to carry, in that I wouldn't want to be ever feeling neutral about it. I think people who have a deep loss want to always feel it. How sad to not feel the pain of that loss anymore.I hope Im never like that.

So many would have suffered by losing their young sons during WWI and WWII. Perhaps we should think of that when we talk about refugees and the losses they have endured before they reach our shores (legally or not).

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its a sad thing to carry - But its not a hard thing to carry, in that I wouldn't want to be ever feeling neutral about it. I think people who have a deep loss want to always feel it. How sad to not feel the pain of that loss anymore.I hope Im never like that.
I can agree with that. I have lost all of my immediate family members, the most recent being my mom in April, but perhaps the most painful was my kid sister back in November of '07. She had ovarian cancer and survived over 2 years (they gave her only a month or 2 when it was diagnosed). She made it to her birthday (Nov 16) but not to Thanksgiving (the 22nd)

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Chesterton, please don't be like that. We have more boundaries in Recovery because folks here are often vulnerable. But you are totally welcome to share what's on your mind. :)
You're right, I'm sorry. I didn't really realize the forum I was in. Never been in here before. Anyway, I lost my last 3 immediate family members within a less than 2 year time span. We always had great times at Christmas so Christmas is sometimes a little sad for me. Plus I think I have that syndrome or disorder where you get depressed in Winter with the cold and grey skies. If that's a real thing I think I have it. Plus other stuff.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seasonal affective disorder? My dad's rather prone to that, and I can see the affect it has on him.

And of course Christmas will be sad with that big a loss over such a short time. I think especially because our culture is all about Christmas as a happy family time; but that's just not the reality for so many people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Missing my Dad a lot this year as it gets closer to Christmas (and his birthday is before ephipany) It was his favourite time of year spiritually, for family and secularly. My son had one Christmas with him I’ll always treasure. But selfishly I want more.

Trying to see it more happily that he’s able to be with Jesus while we celebrate his birthday here.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry it's a hard time for you, Lost4Words. Do feel free to hang out and chat here; I'm sure you won't be the only one.

How old is your son, whereloveandmercymeet? Are you able to throw yourself into making Christmas special for him?

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He’s 3 and autistic and doesn’t really understand. He likes all the lights and fairs and carols but that’s about it. So we focus on that presently. He’s not a fan of change so decorating inside is hard. But fairy lights are okay. This years project is to make him see his wooden nativity as a scene that’s important to remember.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In some ways it’s easier because there’s less pressure from him. Unfortunately people do judge. But I wouldn’t change him for anything. Today he played with a particular child at nursery. I asked him “is she your friend” “yeah!”. And cried. He barely ever uses words and he feels he has a friend for the first time. Big big day. Then he went all shy about it all and hid under the dining table and life went back to normal with a smile

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I find other people's expectations hard. My husband's family like a big Christmas; dozens of people, lots of noise, going overboard with presents and decorations and all the rest. It's just too much for my little one, she gets overwhelmed, but they don't understand why anyone might need to limit their time in what is, for most of them, a happy situation. So then I'm the bad guy for having to set limits.

Of course, by the time we get out of church on Christmas day I'm ready to collapse anyway!

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I find other people's expectations hard. My husband's family like a big Christmas; dozens of people, lots of noise, going overboard with presents and decorations and all the rest. It's just too much for my little one, she gets overwhelmed, but they don't understand why anyone might need to limit their time in what is, for most of them, a happy situation. So then I'm the bad guy for having to set limits.

Of course, by the time we get out of church on Christmas day I'm ready to collapse anyway!
That’s exactly it! My son is happy just to find a nice quiet corner, pick the one gift he’ll obsess over for the next month, and steer clear of everyone. Then I have to explain that I can’t drag him round everyone to do the face time that you have to put in because he just can’t hack it. Then explain for the umpteenth time to half the relatives that he still has autism and yes it was professionally diagnosed.

Don’t get me wrong. I do love my family. But they don’t make it easy!

Upvote 0

Jan800

Mar 31, 2016
AZ
✟28,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I found a church I really like and it's been a journey of 16 years trying to find a good church where I can fellowship, learn and really feel the presence of Jesus. Problem? my husband is in the process of cataract surgery, and he has other issues such as smoking and drinking even at 11 am. He isn't really in tune with family life/me and he shoots the bull a lot with strangers. He isn't really interested in church and we both ran a small group in the 80's. It doesn't seem like he really cares. He repeats himself a lot and it kind of gets to me. He takes naps every day and at 65 he is retired/forced out of his position at work. He hasn't done much to occupy himself and I am wanting to be involved, make friends, etc. HOW TO HANDLE THIS?? I admit it's an effort to walk in love with him.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Jan800

Mar 31, 2016
AZ
✟28,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I found a church I really like and it's been a journey of 16 years trying to find a good church where I can fellowship, learn and really feel the presence of Jesus. Problem? my husband is in the process of cataract surgery, and he has other issues such as smoking and drinking even at 11 am. He isn't really in tune with family life/me and he shoots the bull a lot with strangers. He isn't really interested in church and we both ran a small group in the 80's. It doesn't seem like he really cares. He repeats himself a lot and it kind of gets to me. He takes naps every day and at 65 he is retired/forced out of his position at work. He hasn't done much to occupy himself and I am wanting to be involved, make friends, etc. HOW TO HANDLE THIS?? I admit it's an effort to walk in love with him.
plus we are not celebrating Christmas with anyone other than the 3 of us. Our son wants to spend this holiday with his new family which is understandable.

Upvote 0