If I hadn't stopped to turn the lights off...

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Scary thought.

We're having some wiring problems, apparently, with the light switch just inside the front door. I thought it had been fixed. It hadn't.

Today I've got a chest cold going on. I was reluctant to take medicine for it, because that tends to knock me out for several hours, or else the daytime stuff does uncomfortable things to my pulse and blood pressure. But, around 7:30 PM, I couldn't stand it anymore, took a nighttime cold medicine, and went to turn the living room light off and go to bed. Hubby works evening to late night hours; I was alone.

I flipped the switch off. Nothing. The lights stayed on. Switch on, switch off, still the lights are on. And the switch plate is hot to the touch.

I called the fire department and was told there may be a fire starting within the walls. I should turn off the main circuit breaker and get out. The fire department arrived. The switch plate was cooling off, but when the main circuit breaker came back on, it heated right back up again. Fast. So did the wall around it.

Our only option now is to leave off the circuit connected to that light switch, until we can get an electrician to fix it. We're without power to half of the house, but safe as long as the breaker is off. Otherwise...

What freaks me is that if I had gone to bed without turning off the living room light, and doped up on cold medicine... Eek.

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The electrician was here the following day, and ended up replacing the entire light switch. Some copper wiring had shaken loose. (Traffic? The washer and dryer making the house shake? A minor earthquake we had up here about a month ago? We don't know.) Anyway, with the wiring shaking loose and not connected properly, it got hot and melted its coating. There was melted substance on the switch itself too.

No problems since then. Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0

nathanlandon1

Feb 4, 2010
✟8,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Scary thought.

We're having some wiring problems, apparently, with the light switch just inside the front door. I thought it had been fixed. It hadn't.

Today I've got a chest cold going on. I was reluctant to take medicine for it, because that tends to knock me out for several hours, or else the daytime stuff does uncomfortable things to my pulse and blood pressure. But, around 7:30 PM, I couldn't stand it anymore, took a nighttime cold medicine, and went to turn the living room light off and go to bed. Hubby works evening to late night hours; I was alone.

I flipped the switch off. Nothing. The lights stayed on. Switch on, switch off, still the lights are on. And the switch plate is hot to the touch.

I called the fire department and was told there may be a fire starting within the walls. I should turn off the main circuit breaker and get out. The fire department arrived. The switch plate was cooling off, but when the main circuit breaker came back on, it heated right back up again. Fast. So did the wall around it.

Our only option now is to leave off the circuit connected to that light switch, until we can get an electrician to fix it. We're without power to half of the house, but safe as long as the breaker is off. Otherwise...

What freaks me is that if I had gone to bed without turning off the living room light, and doped up on cold medicine... Eek.

God takes care of His own. Very fortunate you are indeed. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums