Not open for further replies.

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Economic recovery here, famine and genocides in the third world countries?

Yes, famine and genocide that is exactly why these people need to hear about salvation. And it is exactly why religious groups go in and not only save souls but dig wells so they can have clean water, send medical help so people can be healed and help with building homes and teaching people how to farm .

Upvote 0

Satt

Dec 3, 2004
Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love this quote...

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Does this reveal an understanding of God's character? of the definition of sin? an understanding of the fall of man and of free will? As far as faith goes God said this: Joshua 24:15- And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True. God's word is like science, it must be studied constantly as truths continue to reveal themselves (it's like those indistinct pictures that you must stare at for long moments until your brain finally makes sense of it). Many scholars are guilty of interpretation by translation due to closely held beliefs. Fortunately we have enough fairly original material to make needed changes.

Which scholars are you referring to that have mis-interpreted the translation?

When you say "fairly original material", how do you define that, because there are no originals that exist of the new testament, there are only copies of copies from sometimes hundreds of years after the originals were written, by who knows what author.

It is true, that some scholars can interpret the oldest Greek manuscripts a bit different than others, but they are already starting with an old testament that isn't exactly on the firmest of grounds to determine how reliable they are.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, famine and genocide that is exactly why these people need to hear about salvation. And it is exactly why religious groups go in and not only save souls but dig wells so they can have clean water, send medical help so people can be healed and help with building homes and teaching people how to farm .

Yep, it's also the same reason serial killers and other violent criminals find God in prison - it is called, psychological need - a placebo.

Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

Yep, it's also the same reason serial killers and other violent criminals find God in prison - it is called, psychological need - a placebo.
Of course the psycological healing of God’s power through the love and truth of Jesus Christ which countless prisoners, ex-prisoners, and their families, are redeemed, restored, and reconciled have never been found in a man made pill, mind you. :wave:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which scholars are you referring to that have mis-interpreted the translation?

All the scholars that translated the KJV agreed that 'pascha' meant 'Easter' in Acts 12:4. This is one example of a closely held belief influencing translation.

When you say "fairly original material", how do you define that, because there are no originals that exist of the new testament, there are only copies of copies from sometimes hundreds of years after the originals were written, by who knows what author.

Based on comparisons of texts over the centuries very little has changed.

It is true, that some scholars can interpret the oldest Greek manuscripts a bit different than others, but they are already starting with an old testament that isn't exactly on the firmest of grounds to determine how reliable they are.

Do you mean an 'old' new testament or the 'old testament'? :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pjnlsn

Jan 19, 2012
✟8,074.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
because apologetic discussions get moved to the apologetics forum and I don't want that I also don't want my thread being used for whatever a person wants rather than why I made it.

This thread could also be seen as apologetics. As in the justifying of God's nature as good while there is evil in the world.

In any case, it's still true that the existence of any deity (before even it having any specific nature) is unlikely and unproven.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.