Connecticut
✟1,114.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm an American descended from Germans who lived in Germany in the 1800s.

If obstetrics is true, how come there are still GERMANS in Germany now????

Papias

:thumbsup: Glad to see science being upheld and reconciled with your beliefs as opposed to being considered in opposition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Human beings are apes.

More importantly however is simply how ridiculous the thinking behind the question is. I'm an American whose ancestors were Irish and German; but it would be rather ridiculous to ask why there are still Irish and German people. We are quite aware that some Irish people and some German people immigrated to the United States, and this distinct population of immigrants led to me and my family.

If dogs came from wolves, why are there still wolves? Because only some wolves became dogs.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

elopez

Oct 11, 2010
Lansing, MI
✟18,206.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
why are there still APES???
This question nearly assumes the premise, "humans evolved from apes," which as other posters pointed out simply is not true. We share a common ancestor with apes, not like modern day apes though, which means at some point in the evolutionary timeline the species diverged into two distinct lineages, one of which was hominids and the other the African apes we see today.

I also think this question is listed on the "arguments creationists should not use" section on Ken Ham's creationist website. I'd try to do a little more research about something you're going to argue about when in fact you have no idea of what it is you're arguing against. Just sayin.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course there are still apes . . . and some of them are human.

This question is like pointing at ducks and asking, "If evolution is true, why are there still birds?"

No its not, it's more like saying if there are ducks why are there still eagles (just as silly but the same by analogy as apes do not represent primates in general). Just as there is no proof or actual evidence that apes evolved into mankind (and certainly not according to Darwin's theory), it is also true that there is absolutely no proof or evidence that reptiles became birds. Or that eagles became ducks and so on.

Paul

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From my understanding, evolution doesnt say we came from apes, it says apes and humans have the same evolutionary ancestor.

That is the correct theory according to Darwin but Richard Leaky and others try and imply the "from" as through australopithecus (southern ape). So you are 100% correct as to the true theory but 100% incorrect as to what we were taught in our public school indoctrination. Kids are taught they evolved FROM apes.

My 11 year old grandson and myself were watching a PBS show on science just this past week, and the speaker introduced Archaeopteryx stating that though he has been concluded to be a bird, he has many reptile like characteristics (alright so far, though homology is not science...it neither proves nor demonstrates anything...for example most animals have eyes/so what) but then he said this makes Archaeopteryx a dinosaur (?) and then said "in fact, all birds are dinosaurs". And my grandson said "Wow! I didn't know that, that's cool!" So I had to correct the man (I know of no birds that are giant lizards, especially small ones like Archaeopteryx). But we are use to this...it is called brainwashing, and if I was not there he would have believed it and repeated this bold faced lie. Imagine the audacity of propaganda pieces like "Walking with Dinosaurs" and the intentional damage these do to innocent inquiring minds? They should be ashamed. People like this love to monkey around with what the evidence indicates to spin their intellectual webs.

Paul

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No its not, it's more like saying if there are ducks why are there still eagles (just as silly but the same by analogy as apes do not represent primates in general). Just as there is no proof or actual evidence that apes evolved into mankind (and certainly not according to Darwin's theory), it is also true that there is absolutely no proof or evidence that reptiles became birds. Or that eagles became ducks and so on.

Paul

It still amazes me that wolve's became pugs, lol.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
No its not, it's more like saying if there are ducks why are there still eagles (just as silly but the same by analogy as apes do not represent primates in general).

Incorrect. Eagles is not a clade that contains ducks. Birds is a clade that contains both ducks and eagles. While apes do not represent primates in general, they do represent a clade within primates that includes humans.

Just as there is no proof or actual evidence that apes evolved into mankind (and certainly not according to Darwin's theory),

Again, incorrect. There is abundant evidence that humans are evolved apes just as orangutans, gorillas and chimpanzees are. Time to remove the blinders of ideology.

it is also true that there is absolutely no proof or evidence that reptiles became birds.

Again, incorrect. Plenty of evidence of the therapod origin of birds.

Or that eagles became ducks and so on.

Now, you finally have it right. Eagles did not become ducks and ducks did not become eagles, but they are both related to a common ancestor bird.

Btw, no theory other than evolution can make sense of the difference in these three statements. Why can we say with confidence not only that humans are apes and birds are dinosaurs, yet also say that eagles are not ancestors of ducks nor ducks of eagles. This is nested hierarchy, found throughout nature and nothing other than evolution accounts for it.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
From my understanding, evolution doesnt say we came from apes, it says apes and humans have the same evolutionary ancestor.

That was the original thought. In cladistic terms, it was thought that apes and humans were sister taxa. This was indicated by placing apes in a separate family (Pithecidae?) from humans (Hominidae)

That changed when it became possible to do genetic comparisons. First it was discovered that chimpanzees were more closely related to humans than to gorillas. So the genus Pan (chimpanzee) had to be moved into the same family as the genus Homo. Further research indicated that the other "great apes", gorilla and orangutan were also more closely related to the Homo-Pan group than to the so-called "lesser apes" such as the gibbons. So they also had to be brought into the same family.

A common updated phylogeny today puts all the apes into a super-family called Hominoidea containing two families: Hylobatidae (gibbons) and Hominidae (great apes + humans and their extinct relatives e.g. Australopithecus, Ardipithecus).

So taxonomically we have moved away from the situation in which all apes in the traditional sense are a sister family to humans, to one in which only some apes are in a sister family to our own, while the rest are in the same family as us. So, if orangutans, gorillas and chimpanzees are apes, then we are too.

Effectively, "ape" is an outdated term. We and the other great apes are all hominids.

Upvote 0