Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Who do you believe ( with several primary deadlines passed and more coming up would take his place? This would be particularly interesting if he dropped out, BUT finished his term which would mean Harris would not get in based solely on being the current VP. I am starting this thread actually because I saw an article asking this question with several democrats questioning his fitness to run.

This could even apply if he were to drop out on his own accord.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thought he was supposed to drop out shortly after he made Hillary, or was it AOC, vice president right after the inauguration.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thought he was supposed to drop out shortly after he made Hillary, or was it AOC, vice president right after the inauguration.
I do not remember hearing that, but in any case that would not be dropping out that would be resigning.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Apparently Newsome is doing outreach in swing states.

There are some people who would vote against him just because he is from California--but most of them are in states he would lose anyway.
I know for example in GA not only would he likely lose, but time is up to get on the primary ticket that means that the only way he or anyone not already there would have a shot is if they were selected by the party outside the primaries and why on EARTH would a party choose someone who they KNOW would likely lose in swing states; particularly when the person had won a recall election which tells me he was unpopular enough in his OWN state that people were unwilling to wait for the next election.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If Joe were suddenly unable to run, there are several governors would fight it out for the nomination. And I'm sure the DNC has rules for what happens if somebody drops out after a primary.
From what I understand those rules allow them to select someone in Aug. or even later and unless a person was very well known and fairly well-liked widely (outside their own state it would just about be pointless to run when A the election was three months away and B several states were just weeks away from early voting beginning. For example, I live in the swing state of Georgia and our early voting usually begins three full business weeks before an election ( or as soon as it can in the case of a run off. ) that means that we start the second week of Oct. Now, if the person was selected say the first week of August he or she has NINE weeks to win Georgians over ( which unless they are already very well-known would be very hard if not iimpossbile.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm assuming we're talking about dropping out due to unexpected health problems -- heart attack, etc. The party would be foolish to go for a different candidate when there's an incumbent president of their party.

The 2020 Democratic primary race had a number of candidates I thought were interesting, and that I might have voted for if they hadn't dropped out before my state's primary election. (New Jersey is one of the latest states to vote.) If the 2024 season turns into an open primary, I'd like to see some of them try again.

If we're talking about a last-minute substitution due to a health emergency, I think Vice President Harris is the obvious choice. But who knows who the suits in the smoke-filled back room would pick.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I know for example in GA not only would he likely lose, but time is up to get on the primary ticket that means that the only way he or anyone not already there would have a shot is if they were selected by the party outside the primaries and why on EARTH would a party choose someone who they KNOW would likely lose in swing states; particularly when the person had won a recall election which tells me he was unpopular enough in his OWN state that people were unwilling to wait for the next election.
Every governor of California has dealt with recall efforts, though this one did make it to the ballot. He then defeated it by 23% and was reelected to a full term with a 18.5 point margin. The recall doesn't really show anything about his popularity in California.
From what I understand those rules allow them to select someone in Aug. or even later and unless a person was very well known and fairly well-liked widely (outside their own state it would just about be pointless to run when A the election was three months away and B several states were just weeks away from early voting beginning. For example, I live in the swing state of Georgia and our early voting usually begins three full business weeks before an election ( or as soon as it can in the case of a run off. ) that means that we start the second week of Oct. Now, if the person was selected say the first week of August he or she has NINE weeks to win Georgians over ( which unless they are already very well-known would be very hard if not iimpossbile.
I mean technically the nominee is always selected only a couple of months before the election, but everybody knows who it is half a year out. That would be the case if Biden drops out unless he doesn't do it until right before the convention, at which point his VP would probably get it just because of name recognition.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not remember hearing that, but in any case that would not be dropping out that would be resigning.
There was plenty of talk of him falling ill to make way, becoming incapacitated, 25 amednmented. I am sure we will hear more of that as the election gets closer. There was also that entire thread here about how the Dems were going to throw the election cycle so that AOC could run as soo as she is of age. I am sure she will be VP in no time to allow for her to step in when Biden's heath fails rights on time.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who do you believe ( with several primary deadlines passed and more coming up would take his place? This would be particularly interesting if he dropped out, BUT finished his term which would mean Harris would not get in based solely on being the current VP. I am starting this thread actually because I saw an article asking this question with several democrats questioning his fitness to run.

No deadlines have passed yet. Each state has its own set of primaries/caucuses and each state sets its own deadline (more or less). Primaries choose delegates to the national conventions where the candidates are officially chosen (but they will not be directly elected, as you know).

Here (pdf) is the schedule for the 2024 primaries and caucuses.

People quit or die from time to time after being the candidate or even [office]-elect. There is not a single, designated way to chose the successor candidate, AFAIK. If Biden and Harris win the 2024 election, but Biden is unable to take office, I'm pretty sure Harris would succeed him.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There were people right here who swore up and down this was going to happen.

One of them even said something like "mark my words!". I should have marked his words. He's probly powered through a half dozen other failed prophecies since then.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There were people right here who swore up and down this was going to happen.

One of them even said something like "mark my words!". I should have marked his words. He's probly powered through a half dozen other failed prophecies since then.
I mean didn't we also have somebody think that the Democrats were going to throw the 2020 election so they could nominate AOC as President as early as they could?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Biden was foolish to choose Harris. We want the best person, not identity politics. Ketanji Jackson Brown was a black woman and the most qualified. She is showing her capability every day.
Harris is struggling, and while I believe it is partly due to race and gender, it's not entirely so.
But the identity politics crowd would go nuts if someone other than a black woman replaced her. I want the one who will get us to the finish line. Period.
Male. Female. Black. White. Asian. Hispanic.
In the last primary, I liked Cory Booker, Buttigieg, and of course Bernie.
When Trump is on the ballot, no one can throw a fit and stay home because they want a candidate or a certain race, gender, or orientation. Grow up!
He is that dangerously deadly.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

If Biden truly wasn't able to run for a second term (because of something that hasn't happened yet, but could), why would you think he would finish out his term? He'd most likely resign and then there would be a new incumbent president.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If Biden truly wasn't able to run for a second term (because of something that hasn't happened yet, but could), why would you think he would finish out his term? He'd most likely resign and then there would be a new incumbent president.
Some might assume that Trump would become 47 at that time.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently Newsome is doing outreach in swing states.

There are some people who would vote against him just because he is from California--but most of them are in states he would lose anyway.
Newsome would be a good candidate.

The issue is that he would have trouble winning primaries with the left wanting their candidates.

Possibly more likely is for Biden to win many of the key primaries and then drop out in June. The convention delegates would then be ones that pledged their loyalty to Biden. Biden wouldn't need to name his choice. However, his delegates would be much less likely to choose the same candidate as those in the left of the party. Perhaps, the DNC has already to the left for this to happen. I don't think so. An open convention, with a majority of Biden delegates, would quite possibly nominate a winning candidate.

• Informative
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Biden was foolish to choose Harris. We want the best person, not identity politics. Ketanji Jackson Brown was a black woman and the most qualified. She is showing her capability every day.
Harris is struggling, and while I believe it is partly due to race and gender, it's not entirely so.
But the identity politics crowd would go nuts if someone other than a black woman replaced her. I want the one who will get us to the finish line. Period.
Male. Female. Black. White. Asian. Hispanic.
In the last primary, I liked Cory Booker, Buttigieg, and of course Bernie.
When Trump is on the ballot, no one can throw a fit and stay home because they want a candidate or a certain race, gender, or orientation. Grow up!
He is that dangerously deadly.
There are plenty of people who would vote for Trump. Really there are two groups of such people those who intend to vote for him in the primary and those like me who would not vote for him to get on the ballot, but would vote for him if he was the Republican choice. Question is how many of each group is there and as unpopular as Biden is (if he were the one on the ballot) how many would vote for him? I am slightly bias as I am on the Trump side, but I get the feeling there are more people inclined to vote for Trump in that situation of him being the Republican choice who did not vote for him in the primary than there are democrats that feel the same way about Biden.

Upvote 0