New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Erwin and the staff at CF have decide to close down IDD. I am not to happy about this turn of events. I liked the IDD, some times it got heated that is not allways bad. I learned alot on that board with the free flow of questions and point counter point disscussion. I for one will miss it !!:cry:

For His Glory Alone!

BBAS

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greeter said:
I am sorry for those who enjoyed IDD, but I am happy Erwin shut it down. The many anti-Protestant remarks there were really getting to me.
Good Day, Greeter

I hear you there was some of that over there on both sides IMO. I do not think it distracted from the good sharing of information over there. What makes you think that STUFF will not be dragged over here?

BBAS

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day Jeff

I am making an assumtion here, But the page is not gone only not viewable. Is there any way those posts could be viewed as IMO there was some useful information on that fourm.

Forced to play nice? I do not know about that it is some what subjective "NICE". I allways tried to be "NICE". Semms to me that more and more threads will be closed in the respective MB's. When some one does not like the content or feels it is not "NICE".

Peace to u,

BBAS

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JeffreyLloyd said:
Yes, IDD is still reach able to staff. If you want anything let one of us know and we can get it for you.
Thank you, Jeff

I was in the process of going back and readind from the beginning of IDD. It is hard for me to tell you with absoulte recallection [sp] where I was in that process. There for it is unlikely that I can give you any spefic thread or date on the infomation I would like. Hopefully Erwin can make it read only for some period of time.

Thanks Again,

BBAS

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I liked I learned a lot. I got to hear and see things from a new perspective that I didn't have before. It put me at peace with a lot of things and demons that I had lurking that I needed to be rid of. And it helped in my journey of aquiring knowledge.
I do however wish at times that we weren't so hard on each other when we were doing it, myself included. So I can understand why they might have found it necessary to shut it down. Seems a shame though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
Oh come on people, I see more non-Catholics attacking Catholics.

The split happened a long time ago, and yet I still see Huge Divisions.... This isn't Ireland, and neither do most people want killings.....

Reformed Baptist said:
I wonder who did most of the complaining that lead others to close it down...
It's not who...everyone is playing the Blame game, if it's not in IDD blaming the Catholics, then it's here blaming the whinger.....

Dude, get a grip, listen to yourself and you'll see why the moderators had to close it down. It's not the only forum they closed down, it's been months in the talking....

Though I have to admit, it's not as exciting anymore without those two heated threads...

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I know I probably shouldn't ever post in here but I just wanted to throw my two cents (KA-CHING!) into the mix here.

IDD isn't closed. IDD has been transformed into a Formal Debate Forum. Which is a good thing. That means that Catholics, Messianics, P/R/E's and Orthodox all must come up with a structured, studied and politely presented argument when posting in IDD. This will give us more time to think before posting anything in a heated manner, which will in turn give us more time to pray while thinking about our responses. This will result in less insult, less demeaning postings and an overall more Christian atmosphere in IDD.

At least that's the way I see it.

Upvote 0

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
nyj said:
Ok, I know I probably shouldn't ever post in here but I just wanted to throw my two cents (KA-CHING!) into the mix here.

IDD isn't closed. IDD has been transformed into a Formal Debate Forum. Which is a good thing. That means that Catholics, Messianics, P/R/E's and Orthodox all must come up with a structured, studied and politely presented argument when posting in IDD. This will give us more time to think before posting anything in a heated manner, which will in turn give us more time to pray while thinking about our responses. This will result in less insult, less demeaning postings and an overall more Christian atmosphere in IDD.

Not many people have time for formal debates. What is your prediction regarding activity? Do you think more people will commit to formal debates in the future, or will it be as slow as before?

~Matt

Upvote 0

BAChristian

Discerning the Diaconate. Please pray for me.
Aug 17, 2003
Indiana
✟13,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nyj said:

...and to add to nyj's post, i would think that all people who profess to be good Christians would support a non-confrontational approach.

Right?

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
InquisitorKind said:
Not many people have time for formal debates.
True. However, isn't it telling that we have time to spend hours arguing back and forth pointlessly in IDD threads informally? Really, when you get down to it though, while researching your topic (which is always a good thing) will take some time, I would be willing to bet that the time it takes to have a formal debate and the time we devoted to just arguing back and forth informally will even out.

InquisitorKind said:
What is your prediction regarding activity?
It will more than likely drop. IDD was very active, but IDD was also prone to people "going off" half-cocked. That was never a good thing, and Christians of all denominations were prone to that bad behavior (myself included). That is, I believe, the main motivation for switching the focus in IDD. The more careful we have to be with our words, hopefully the more calm and rational they will be.

InquisitorKind said:
Do you think more people will commit to formal debates in the future, or will it be as slow as before?
I believe we shall see the true motivation behind certain people. Those who just wished to argue will bow out of IDD (and may leave CF altogether), and those who truly wish to discuss their faith and the differences between them in a rational manner will commit to the formal debates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
BBAS 64 said:
Thank you, Jeff

I was in the process of going back and readind from the beginning of IDD. It is hard for me to tell you with absoulte recallection [sp] where I was in that process. There for it is unlikely that I can give you any spefic thread or date on the infomation I would like. Hopefully Erwin can make it read only for some period of time.

Thanks Again,

BBAS
I agree. I hadn't gotten around to saving a lot of the posts I wanted :(

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK I still do not understand why we have to debate ANYTHING with each other if we are all CHRISTIANS to begin with. What is more important proving we are right or doing what is right?? And doing what is right is helping others that don't know to begin with to know. Instead we are debating over how we are to debate. This seems very nonsensical to me at this point. I must be strange or something because I did not know that I would have to take on other Christians and defend my Faith to them as well as the Non-Believer. And that is what it has seemed to me to be reduced to at times. And then what we do here doesn't stop here it continues in open forums and they get to see it as well and they get a very bad impression. I was just told by someone in PM that I didn't seem like a Christian because I was too compassionate to be one and that is horrible for anyone to think of us. And then I got stuck defending, and coming up with excuses. I am sorry if anyone gets offended but this is how I feel. And I do think that it is ridiculous how we infight with each other.

Upvote 0

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
nyj said:
I would be willing to bet that the time it takes to have a formal debate and the time we devoted to just arguing back and forth informally will even out.
How do you figure? My formal debate with Defens0rFidei took many, many hours (there was no research required) and the time spent on that debate would be worth at least four or five weeks of doing consistent, informal debate.

The more careful we have to be with our words, hopefully the more calm and rational they will be.
Unfortunately, my view of human nature is much more cynical. But we should hope for the best.

~Matt

Upvote 0

InquisitorKind

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
✟1,780.00
Faith
Protestant
debiwebi said:
OK I still do not understand why we have to debate ANYTHING with each other if we are all CHRISTIANS to begin with. What is more important proving we are right or doing what is right?? And doing what is right is helping others that don't know to begin with to know.
If some of the people who call themselves "Christian" actually represent a church that teaches heresy, then it is good to refute their errors and prevent people from accepting them.

Instead we are debating over how we are to debate.
Sorry, that is not my intention. I was only taken somewhat by the idea that the time spent formally debating a topic and the time spent informally debating would even out.

~Matt

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
InquisitorKind said:
If some of the people who call themselves "Christian" actually represent a church that teaches heresy, then it is good to refute their errors and prevent people from accepting them.

Sorry, that is not my intention. I was only taken somewhat by the idea that the time spent formally debating a topic and the time spent informally debating would even out.

~Matt
The thing is we all have different beliefs and I can biblically base mine as well as you can base yours. It is your Church that has determined what is to be heresy and mine may not think that it is. If I were a JW or Mormon I could understand your argument, but if I told you that I do not believe we literally burn in hell and that it is symbolic you would probably tell me that is heresy to your Church whereas to mine it is not. And For you to tell me otherwise is wrong. You can disagree with me but to call me a heretic is the same as me calling you one for preaching that it is literal. I use the scriptures to back up my words and Jesus' example. I put what the bible says before any man because that is what it tells me to do. And because the bible can be interpretted so many ways. So I pray and I ask for his guidance and I read it for myself always and I never take it out of context.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.