✟8,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Where should I start? :wave:

(On a side note, I find Eastern Orthodox to be really cool because you guys do share a very similar faith to Roman Catholicism. I know that you guys don't follow the pope and such, but I want to know a little more than that and I'd like to find some good EO websites to give me some factual, non-biased information)

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey TAW folks, haven't visited you in a while.

This article is helpful from the Orthodox Christian Information Center~it gives differences even if you're not evangelical (like me) :)
A Note for Evangelicals Considering Rome

Our local Antiochian Orthodox Priest Fr. Ted Pulcini wrote a small booklet about the differences also~he used to be a RC Priest...I picked it up at the parish some time ago and is well written.

Upvote 0

Gyasi

Looking for Christ
Aug 24, 2010
Ontario
✟8,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to find some good EO websites to give me some factual, non-biased information)
There is no such thing as non-biased :). You just have to learn to look beyond the bias when reading the information.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,823.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Could you ask in the Justin Martyr section. Seems to me you cannot make a true comparison without some objections.

He didn't ask for debate. He asked a question which requires giving Orthodox views in order to answer. You're welcome to start a thread in the JM section if you want to debate something.

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St Columcille,

While your request is fair, I have to agree with Chesterton. The OP can ask (and perhaps already has asked) the same question in OBOB. Sometimes its helpful to have a discussion open to debate. Other times, it can be helpful to simply ask the question to each side separately and let come what may.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MamaBug

Aug 28, 2007
✟15,584.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of differences - some obvious, some not so obvious. They range all the way from surface-level practice (we cross ourselves right to left) to deep doctrinal divides.

Some one once said that the difference between East and West can be summed up in three words: Augustine, Anselm, and Aquinas. In a very real way the difference between East and West is more one of world view than of a point-by-point doctrinal comparison. We approach the subjects of Ancestral Sin, Soteriology, and the nature of the God/the Trinity in very different way so that even the things that seem similar can mean something else or have contrary implications.

If you really want to learn the differences, I would say there are three questions to start with that will help you to understand an Orthodox mindset.

1. Why is the Incarnation of Christ important and what is it's relation to the saving aspect of the Crucifixtion and the Resurrection?
2. What is Salvation and how does one go about aquiring it?
3. What is the nature of Divine Grace and what implications does that have with regard to the Sacraments?

I won't try to answer these here, each one is worthy of a volume (or two). I think if you wanted to really understand the differences between Catholic and Orthodox you could compare how each would answer the above.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I fyou ask me, it all comes down to the Authority given the Pope in the Roman Catholic Church of today. Papal Inffalibitity and Universal Jurisdiction of the Pope are two most (seemingly) insurmountable issues that divide us.

There are alot more very subtle differences in how we think and how we pray that totally effect our daily lives that really are far more insurrmountable than the big issues of papacy, original sin, mariology and the filioque. But then I guess you really need to be a convert from Roman Catholicism to Orthodoxy to understand and appreciate those differences.

Upvote 0