• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey,
I am wondering if any of you suffer from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)? I have it mild I think, and have for about 2 years now, and since that day I got it it has never been quite the same.
I think the worst thing about it is that I have a hard enough time getting out and making friends, and its really hard when I have to worry and wonder "is there going to be a bathroom there just in case?" and "what if I have to go when I am there or start feeling cruddy?" I know some people are practically disabled by it, and I have good spells and bad ones. I hate it that there isn't much you can do, and I feel like I've been betrayed or something. :cry:

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Galadriel said:
Hey,
I am wondering if any of you suffer from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)? I have it mild I think, and have for about 2 years now, and since that day I got it it has never been quite the same.
I think the worst thing about it is that I have a hard enough time getting out and making friends, and its really hard when I have to worry and wonder "is there going to be a bathroom there just in case?" and "what if I have to go when I am there or start feeling cruddy?" I know some people are practically disabled by it, and I have good spells and bad ones. I hate it that there isn't much you can do, and I feel like I've been betrayed or something. :cry:

They have been advertising medication on a comercial on tv for IBS....I'd suggest going to see your doctor to see if you can take the meds and see if that helps.....

Upvote 0

Cherberrie

running to stand still
Jul 30, 2003
Florida
✟582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Galadriel, seems we have another thing in common! I had it really bad in college- I dropped alot of weight, and had to have all those fun tests done. I was prescribed a med that I rarely have to take now, it helps with the cramping. I totally understand the not going out thing, I'm a very social person, but I was almost housebound until I got meds, and missed alot of class. Remember that stress is a factor in IBS, so you might want to keep your life as stress-free as possible until you feel better. It might take some sacrifice, I had to go down to part time at school and work, but you have to take care of yourself. Hope this helps.

:hug:
Cherberrie

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey Cherriberry!!

Not you too! It seems we have much in common! Christian emets with IBS! There are a number of those who also have IBS as well on those boards. I agree about the stress, and maybe, probably, we stress more than normal. I got it the first week I was working as a camp counselor, I was fine one day, then the next I came home from work (which I might add was very stressful to me) and got the runs bad, and it hasn't been the same. I went to the docs multiple times that summer (I got it about a day or so before my 18th birthday). and IBS was it and the doc couldn't help me much. I can deal most of the time, and it usually doesn't affect me too bad to render me uncapable, but I still wish I never had it.

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow Desi, that is excellent that you only had it that long and got it cured. That is very good. I tried metamucil as well, didn't really do anything. I am not 100% sure, but I think many people that get it can't get IBS to fully go away, they can do things to try and make it lesser, but it is always there. I kinda go in "waves" meaning sometimes it hardly gives me trouble, and other times it really affects me.

Upvote 0
Hi try acidophilua with L-sporogenes, it does help if taken daily, you should avoid caffine and choclate mainly becuase of the ability to make you hyper , and that will effect the symtoms of the IBS. I found the fiber does very little but you can give that a try as well, thats what my Dr. tried for me first , I did my own research and have found that acidophilua extra strength tablets work best. Good luck and God bless

Upvote 0

Sara2

Feb 12, 2005
✟113.00
Faith
Salvation Army
HI, I am glad that I found this site! My daughter 17, bless her heart has IBS for the last 6 years. We have been struggling with it. My main concern is at this age it is becoming more like a disability. She won't venture out of the house. I know this isn't good. She does try to leave. but we are back home in 15 min. and she runs to the bathroom. Been to Doc. some laugh and then we finally found one that told us what she had.(He was an emergency doctor only...no practice) So now I am still researching. I know this sounds like a lot, but we have done ...herbs..hyponist...meds...
nothing. We found out it runs in the family. I am at a stand still. She is missing out on her teens years. Outside of all this she is happy, plays on the comp, does college on line... I just want her to go places...I know this is selfish on my part...I was praying that she will outgrow this...but hasn't. I read in one post...Acidophilus/L-sporogenes....what does this do? Also there is a tape on IBS has anyone tried that? Again sorry for the long post, I done this so many times on other forums, and I get nowhere.

Upvote 0

VivDaGurl

Veteran
Aug 18, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
✟2,312.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I suffered from IBS since 2000 till now. It made me go to the toilet real frequent and sometimes, ending up vomitting as well. The doctor prescribed me a medication that I'm allergic to. Stress is the cause of IBS....try to cool down or relax your mind when you are stressed up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm.....I don't know if I have it or not.....I go through some pretty rough times.....it all started when i had liquid coming from both ends (ugh, not fun at all....sit on the toilet or put your face in it....the biggest dilemma I've ever had....yikes...) and from there on out, it's been a little weird...I mean, I'll go a long time and I'm fine, but there are times when I just get so much pain and sit in the bathroom for like 20 minutes and then feel like someone needs to put up a warning sign because of the toxic fumes.....it's just uncool....not fun at all.....and it usually happens when I'm out with my youth group....ugh

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Galadriel said:
Hey Cherriberry!!

Not you too! It seems we have much in common! Christian emets with IBS! There are a number of those who also have IBS as well on those boards. I agree about the stress, and maybe, probably, we stress more than normal. I got it the first week I was working as a camp counselor, I was fine one day, then the next I came home from work (which I might add was very stressful to me) and got the runs bad, and it hasn't been the same. I went to the docs multiple times that summer (I got it about a day or so before my 18th birthday). and IBS was it and the doc couldn't help me much. I can deal most of the time, and it usually doesn't affect me too bad to render me uncapable, but I still wish I never had it.

Caffeine and especially coffee can have a pretty negative effect.....gets to me a lot....might wanna check that factor out....

Upvote 0

christdriven

Golden Angel
Apr 18, 2004
Canada
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am so sorry that you suffer just like most of us. Actually 1 out of every 10 americans suffer from it. What really sucks though too is that women are more common to get it than guys. Acutally it is rare for guys to get it. Ive been suffering from IBS for two years. Thankfully my symptons arent so bad right now. But what Ive realized is that it really can depend on your eating habaits. If you go and get a blood test done and check for your food allergies it can help MAJORLY! I discovered that Im allergic to egg whites, wheat gluten and cows milk. Im also carbohydrate sensitive. So really, when Im super stressed out, and have eaten a lot of those kind of foods it spells out a horrible bathroom visit. I suggest just go and get your blood tested, avoid those foods as much as possible, maybe even see a nutritionist. It will help! It has helped me a lot. Also, if your not very shy go and tell your friends that your suffering from a intestinal disorder they will understand. Now whenever I go out to eat with my friends, or hang out with them anywhere they always ask me if Im okay. They are the ones that are looking out for me, making sure I dont eat something Im not supposed to. Its great, they take better care of me than I do. Also, exercise is great too, lots of water. O! And tummy tea. Its this pepperment tea that I make everytime I start getting a cramp attack, seriously my cramps go away within minutes. Its awesome stuff.
Good luck with everything, it sounds like your have a worse case than I do. But just take care of yourself, and pray about it! God can heal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums