• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I would appreciate some help, if you happen to have the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucid2211

May 25, 2009
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I have schizophrenia. I'm 17, I've been hearing voices since I was very young, I'd say around 5 or 6. Each voice has a personality, and an image, and they almost have their own world in a way. I can hold full conversations with them, some are friendly some arent, theres always been thsi huge story too, this ongoing story which wont end.

Now let me say, until I was 15 I diden't know what schizophrenia was. That's not too say I thought that what they were telling me was real, that I could be part of this crazy world, I suppose I dident think it was fake either.. maybe I dident know...

but then, I came across this term.. "Psychosis", ya' see I came across it reading about something or another, and I decide to google it because I dident' know the meaning. When I started reading about it, and found out about schizophrenia, I nearly had a panic attack, I was deafly afriad for along while after that, and some of the voices got even more hostile then before.

I never wanted to see a psychologist or anything, so I decided to take a class in school. It just made things worse... stuff I dident need to know, or really want to know. When we finally got to schizophrenia we watched the movie "A Beautiful Mind" which got me thinking that at least my symtoms werent as bad as his. With that said I told my best friend about it, about my problem, and he continously tells me I dont have a problem..

That just made me more angry, because I dident want to be told I'm fine.. I wanted some type of feeseble thing to understand or.. I dont know how to put it exactly..

It's like wearing glasses (I wear glasses), ya' dont want someone telling you, "well dont worry lots of people wear glasses" you just want the damn glasses already..

In other words, I want to know if it's possible to have schizophrenia and know you have it, and then i want to know what I should do next, should I seek out a psychologist? my parents would probably dissaporve quite a bit of that, not that their against it in any particular way, but I've never told anyone about my voices besides my best friend and now this..

please help... please...

maybenotcrazy

Okay okay...
Sep 25, 2008
nowhere
✟15,828.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would get in trouble if I told you what I think those voices are. For years before I got crazy to the hilt I heard quiet voices, voices I wasn't sure were there or not. They never talked to me in conversations. BUT YEAH! Sorry to be pessimistic but if you're hearing voices get worried that something serious is going to hit you soon. I don't know if anything will help you but it is good you are aware of this situation as being abnormal now because it will help you recover later should something get really bad for you later. The beautiful mind guy (nash) never saw real hallucinations quite like the sensational movie got either. They were small voices and whispers but they can be very realistic to their "owner." You know when I had the voices start I was very young too. They often blended into conversations around me and would mock me from afar. I never felt sure I was really hearing them until the bad stuff hit the fan. They began to feel as though I was hearing government agents through some special technology- then I said no! This is supernatural, God or the devil or something. The climax was in 2006-7 when I started getting all kinds of nonsense happen to me, being told through signs, visions behind my eyelids etc. I would go to hell and suffer and be the islamic version of the antichrist. God finally let me become a christian in 2008 and the worst is over but I can never say the little things that happen here and there are over. I think I got my intellect back completely though, for whatever it is worth. I don't value such things much any more...

If you're a christian already, no need to fear. I don't want to sound like I know God's plan for you and I certainly don't... But maybe what God wants from you is to go through a period of recognizing you need him, maybe not. I pray for the best outcome for you...

Upvote 0

ERice2nd

Oct 7, 2006
Michigan
✟16,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I too have heard voices since I was very young. I never really thought much of it though. all they did was call out my name anyway, making me look in every direction to see who was calling me. My advice is to see a psychiatrist, they can prescribe medicine which can help your symptoms. you probably have a few that you dont notice but a trained professional would spot them right off. You should tell your parents also and let them know you want to seek help. Seems to me your health would be important to them.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2009
Massachusetts
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
It is possible to have schizophrenia and know that you have it. You should be evaluated by a psychiatrist, and you should tell your parents. It is very important to have a support group (family, friends, groups) when you have a mental illness. It is possible that you have a mental illness, and it could possibly be schizophrenia. Hearing voices that don't really exist is not normal. If you do have schizophrenia, it is important that you have it treated as soon as possible, because schizophrenia is known to worsen if it's not treated. Don't be scared by stories you read or hear about schizophrenia. There are many different types of schizophrenia. Some have it worse than others. There are also many different medications to try, so don't be discouraged if the first one you try doesn't work. But I would highly recommend being evaluated by a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Tell them your whole story about the voices and everything that goes on in your mind that you believe is a problem. The more detail, the easier it will be for the psychiatrist to give a diagnosis. Also, along with medication percribed by your psychiatrist, I would suggest seeing a counselor regularly to discuss your progress or lack of progress. I wish you all the best.

Upvote 0

Thomas The Atheist

Mar 14, 2009
Belgium
✟8,189.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hey Lucid,

you should tell it to your parents, really... or if you don't want to talk about it with your parents, try some other familymember you trust :)
there are some things I only talk about to my grandfather, but that's mainly because we both are hemophiles... (people with blood disease)

the next step would then be consulting a doctor (psychiatrist) and try to figure out a way to get rid of your schizophrenia.

you can't keep on living with something like that... get it off your chest, talk to someone, as you will feel much better afterwards :)

just one last word of advice: really do something about it... you should take care of yourself now and don't think that it's God's plan... (perhaps his plan involves you going to see a doctor... :))

regards,
~Thomas.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lucid it sounds like you are one of us, please see a doctor and get some pills, some work a lot of them don't, it is for you to find the right one.

My ordeal started when I was pre preschool and I stayed out of the caring hands of doctors till 36 - such is not advisable - please take that from me.

Watch out for psychosis, when your inner world is so real that it seems more real than what is normally real - an overload on your perceptual senses - as that is what psychosis is. Medications are essential to stop that properly.

Ignore your voices as much as possible, don't deny, but ignore, for the more we interact with the voices the sicker we usually become.

All the best, you'll need it.

Gerry

Upvote 0

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You need to tell your parents, how do you think they are going to react? Because your not disgusting, they will probley suprise you, don't worry about telling them.

I got glasses around when I was maybe 13 or so, and it was the most wonderful and beautiful expirience, I shouted 'I can the lines!'. The world I saw had previously not had lines in it and was blurry.

God does tell us things when we are able and ready to handle them, ready to see why and how. He will also never give' you something you cannot handle, and if you feel that he has, tell him, and he'll help you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.