I worry about the reasons most people seem to get into prepping.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My reason for prepping -
1701025820832.png

I had a friend who prepped. It was a blessing she did when her husband lost his job and it took over 9 months for him to get another that paid enough. They lived off that food, and her much smaller income. They had 5 kids.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a reminder, the Statement of Purpose for this forum includes:

Some specific guidelines for this forum include:
1. This is a safehouse forum for Christian Preppers, criticizing or mocking preppers for being preppers, is not allowed.​
2. This forum is intended to be informational and not for debate. There may be some disagreements, but these should be handled with grace towards one another rather than attacking one another.​
3. Christian preppers may seek to convince others to begin prepping. This is not debating, this is simply one function of this forum.​
4. No political campaigning. Christian Preppers come from all political groups and independents. While many preppers have strong political beliefs and ideologies, our desire is to put Christ above any differences and promote fellowship around God our Father and Jesus Christ His Son.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wanna be self sufficient with minimal equipment? Learn about sprouting. You can sprout grains, lentils, peas and beans. And even some nuts and seeds. Sprouting significantly increases nutrients and doesn't require any cooking. Its always available as soon as its sprouted. The ultimate high nutrient, natural, fast food. For most foods they are ready in just 18 to 36 hours. Some as little as about 12 hours. And remember that what you are sprouting is very unperishable and lasts for years. Canning, sauces, food prep....what a waste of time. Go with the core ingredients. You'll also live a lot longer without the salt needed for canning. Not to mention you're canning in aluminum cans (at least most people do). Marmalade? Packed with sugar. Higher glood sugar levels are linked to almost every disease known to man. It makes everything worse. What's the point of prepping if you're just going to die of a heart attack shortly thereafter? Doesn't make much sense.

One of the main attributes of survival in hostile situations is remaining hidden. Good luck with that if you need a fire to cook. Go raw. Its a million times better.

I notice preppers never consider insects yet they breed like crazy, are high in B12 and other nutrients, are high in protein, low in fat and almost all can be eaten raw so you don't waste energy cooking your food. In a survival situation cooking makes very little sense. It just wastes power. Power you may need for far more important things. As an example I would challenge anyone to try black ants. They are incredibly delicious. (Red ants are bitter - stay away from them.) Just one of so many insect meal examples.
The canning I have done has not been in aluminum cans. I used mason jars. I don't know anyone who cans their food in aluminum cans. Only food companies do that. Do you know anyone who cans in aluminum cans? And no, you don't need lots of salt to can in a mason jar.

And you don't have to make marmalade.

Not interested in bugs, thank you. I would rather freeze or can or otherwise preserve the fruit harvest of our trees or the produce from my garden.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I'm more concerned about the coming U.S. economic collapse due to our high volume of government debt than any other conspiracy theory style issues. While there are other hedges against said collapse, like investing in gold or crypto, it pays to take investing in housing, land, food producing infrastructure, and energy producing devices into consideration as well. Selling gold or crypto could be difficult in an emergency and using crypto to buy food is difficult.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I'm more concerned about the coming U.S. economic collapse due to our high volume of government debt than any other conspiracy theory style issues. While there are other hedges against said collapse, like investing in gold or crypto, it pays to take investing in housing, land, food producing infrastructure, and energy producing devices into consideration as well. Selling gold or crypto could be difficult in an emergency and using crypto to buy food is difficult.
Agreed. Natural disasters are certainly a concern, but the crash is a certainty and a matter of time before it happens.

Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wondering how long eggshell toothpaste last?

Checked out sprouting previously. How to avoid food poisoning concerns?
Valid concerns tturt.
We store dry things in air-tight containers with an o2 absorber. There are mylar bags that are heat-sealed and just plain old mason jars. The stuff we freeze dry will have an o2 absorber and a desiccant pack to absorb any moisture in the air inside the pack. The big danger of storing food in an oxygen-free environment is botulism. The organism may grow in no o2 if there is any moisture. If you are wet canning, it can be avoided by decreasing the pH with lemon juice or vinegar. DON'T take my word for it. Get the FDA guidelines and/or the Ball book on canning.
Usually, the only time there is a problem is when people do not follow the directions.
Sprouting is good. We got a sprouter stack a few years ago and only used it a couple of times. Don't look for calories there.. but the nutrients are great. I think Barbara has some bags of sprouting seeds somewhere.
I am unsure about the eggshell toothpaste.

Upvote 0