Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have been a Christian for a couple of years now and am still in many ways learning to pray and trying to develop a true relationship with God. On New Years Eve my teenaged child, also a Christian, attempted suicide with an overdose. We spent 12 hours in the ER and then she was in hospital for a week. Our minister visited a couple of times. Not once during the crisis did I think to pray with or for my daughter. The minister did not offer prayer to me -- maybe he prayed with my daughter, privately -- or talk to me about the role of prayer in what we went through. I feel like I ignored an important part of my daughter's healing. We weren't in our right mind, but it bothers me that prayer wasn't in our minds at all. Obviously I'm not thinking of God as a priority in my life yet. How do I get there (for the sake of my family)?

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I was in a crisis but I didn't pray"

How many times can we all say that?
It is quite easy to forget to pray - when you are caught up in a dramatic family crisis. Seems odd ... for Christians. But for some strange reason it can be quite hard to remember to pray under dire circumstances. Therefore, forgive yourself and learn from that experience.

I don't know why your minister did not pray. He should have. It's quite possible that he DID pray - he just did it privately and you didn't see him. He may have been caught up in the moment when he met you - and felt the need to offer genuine compassion.

Very sorry to hear about your daughter.
That situation would stress out any parent to a high level.
Hope things are working out better now.

Gideon123

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you were in absolute shock and
who wouldn't be if their child attempted suicide?

I don't think it was wrong priorities but the fact you
were in shock...one thing I know about God is that He
knows what's in your heart and in your thoughts. He also
knows human anatomy/reactions etc.

When I heard my husband was in an accident at work and he
was facing leg amputation...I was in shock! He was airlifted to the
trauma center and received 10 units of blood. Pray? I could hardly breath!
Others prayed...I found that out after the long ER stay...waiting to see if
he would survive the night, which was extremely stressful for me!

I did pray the next day after I had "come to myself"...in those times
I rely on the Holy Spirit within me to make utterances/prayer for me
when I'm incapable of rational thought or don't know how to pray.

You can pray now and in all the days that follow...just like I'm doing.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Like you- when I was in a real crisis recently- I didn't realise how I should have turned to God when the trouble started.

I was in a near constant state of panic for weeks. It was when I was calmer I started to think
That God would be there for me and I should be turning to Him before things got bad again (and it did).

Think of it as a particularly unpleasant and painful lesson but one that you have learned a lot from.

Now it is time to pray to God -
Lord please give me wisdom and understanding of why I have gone through this and show me how I can bless others . Please protect me from accusations and lies from Satan and fill me with your peace. :prayer:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thusia Zao

Living Sacrifice
Dec 1, 2011
California
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you do think you don't prioritize God enough into your life, I suggest you open every day up with the Word of God and close every day up with the Word of God (Psalm 1:2)

I am sorry to hear about your daughter and you shouldn't feel so down for forgetting to pray. God doesn't need prayers to understand the situation we're in. Since communication is essential to having a relationship, I suggest you start incorporating prayer more into daily tasks. This should help you in the long run.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟815,161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How to change? For your consideration, Scripture says to pray without ceasing (I Thess 5:17). I don't remember who posted this or I would give them credit but they said to look for opportunities to thank Yahweh and pray to Him.

Some examples are getting up, thank Yahweh b/c this is the day He has made (Psa 118) and listening to the news, we learn of families that need His help. Plus we’re reminded to pray for our nations and leaders. We pray for our military and all those involved in protecting our country and security including the National Guard, prison guards, probation officers, etc. As we drop the kids off for the day, we thank Him for our families and friends and pray for our enemies (Matt 5:44). Seeing an accident, we pray for the victim & their families and friends, emergency & hospital personnel, law enforcement, etc. Sitting at a traffic light and seeing a bag lady, alcoholic, or someone else in need, pray for them. etc.

Then in our prayer closet spend time to hallow His name (Luke 11:2; Matt 6:6) like the woman with the alabaster box. Entering into His gates with praise (Psa 100:4) and thanksgiving leading to a point of getting our minds off ourselves and others and just focusing on Yahweh (John 4:24; I Cor 14:2). Perhaps thinking about a few of His titles, names, and attributes and/or reading Scripture that's about Him such as Psa 145 and/or playing music and/or singing to an audience of One (Psa 33:3; 69:30 and 100:4).

Upvote 0

OnlyBelieve

Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Sweety, you need to forgive yourself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you see, now can see where you may be lacking (and who isn't in some area) and take steps to correct yourself. Talk to the Lord, he knows you, he formed you in your mother's womb, give it to him and he will set you free. I personally pray all the time, washing up, laundry, shopping...list is endless, if you find it hard, put up some sticky notes for yourself, where you spend most of your time, like one near the front door, which says, "lord I ask you to protect me as I go about my day" that sort of thing. Like "cue cards".

There is awesome power in a Mothers prayer, so maybe start praying for your daughter everytime you see her photo or think of her....I Pray she is doing well, and the Lord will help her and protect her. :amen:

Keep the Faith....Lord Bless You

Upvote 0

omanid

I'm not perfect; I'm forgiven.
Jan 10, 2012
✟9,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God gives you things whether you ask for it or not...

Matthew 5:45
He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

It wasn't your first thought to pray but you did think about it later. That shows that you want to learn and improve. AND He didn't take your daughter from you...and you didn't ask for it.

your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Matthew 6:8

Also...there is a time and purpose for everything. Just because you didn't do it doesn't make you a bad person; It makes you human.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Far worse than a military war or criminal act of violence is this never-ending spiritual war with Satan and without the safety guardian of our spiritual partner Lord Jesus, the truth is revealed in people who we know so well, thinking that nothing tragic would happen to them. It's a lesson learnt that the Word of God is not another lifeless object like a flower vase that's beautiful with decorated art on the outside but hollow and empty on the inside. The Word of God is supernatural and invisible, alive and completely silent - but a silent killer to the power of sin once Jesus is accepted as our healer of all diseases of the mind and body for life. As human life is never short when Jesus has the power to give us ageless youth and diseases-free health when he returns in the future to defeat Satan and there's nothing Satan can do to turn back the clock to stop the coming of our victorious Lord Savior, even if Satan does find a non-Christian person in this world with the highest intelligent mind efficiency to discover the secrets of time reversal because God knows our future including Satan's future.:*:.
:liturgy:
:cool:

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It seems like your daughter was in a crisis. She probably prayed when she decided she didn't want to die. When I think of times where people I care about were sick I recall I don't always think of prayer at the top of the list of things to do. I usually think of how can I help them. Versus times where I was in trouble. At times like that I prayed quite a bit for God to get me out of the jam I was in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HisHomeMaker

Reading the Bible in 2011. Join me!
Nov 1, 2010
http://www.christianforums.com/f235/
✟8,461.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your support an encouragement, everyone. My daughter seems to be well, but of course I fear for her future. She had -- has -- so much going for her and no one could have guessed that she would have tried to end her beautiful life. I must trust in her free will and in God's will, too.

Upvote 0