I think I'm about to get kicked out of Catholic Answers forum for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
On the verge of converting

To Eastern Orthodoxy, if that is even called a "conversion." My reasons for doing this are simple. I write this to invite discussion from others to tell me where I am wrong, if in fact I am:
I have been discerning this for a period of a few years. I struggled that if I left Catholicism, that Catholicism would "damn" me, somehow, as am apostate. Even though I know that if I was fully convicted, that should matter to me at all, it did.
Still after lots of study, it seems to me that the practice of Orthodoxy, IS the original, or certainly closest to the original, christian worship practiced by the Apostles and ECF.
Apostolic succession is important.
The EOC treatment of sin and redemption, and its teaching on original sin is far closer to what I have come to believe. (sin as "illness" rather than "crime.")
I do not know who left whom during the Great Schism, but I suspect they were never as organized as the RCC teaches. At least throughout the histories I have read that isn't the case. the difference between "primacy" and "supremacy" seem to have always been real, and it seems that Rome was "prime" but not "supreme."
Both Churches were under the leadership of the Apostles, and I agree that Peter was the rock. I don't know that all of the succeeding popes were Rocks or not. It seems imperial.
Still, my cradle catholicism is strong in me, and I am still struggling with this.
Thanks for reading and I would love to hear any comment.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really know, Dorothea. I'm struggling with all of this, and am trying to listen to any wisdom I can find. I'm stuck in the middle, I guess.

Oh, ok. I didn't mean to sound flippant or uncaring. I was just kinda perplexed. I guess because I've never been in your position. Forgive me if I sounded harsh.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh man !

If you haven't had the banning notice in 24 hours time - you are safe on this occasion.

It could go either way :p

Honestly, I doubt I'll go back to find out. Maybe I should keep my personal struggle off the forums completely. Seems the smarter thing to do.

So, thanksTAW! But nevermind...:hug:

Upvote 0

AV1

Jul 25, 2013
Michigan
✟15,355.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I doubt I'll go back to find out. Maybe I should keep my personal struggle off the forums completely. Seems the smarter thing to do.

So, thanksTAW! But nevermind...:hug:

Don't hide from worry, friend. Your personal struggle is our own, albeit with different variables, depending on the person. We are all searching and trying to heal our souls in Christ...we are all sinners.

No matter the platitudes on the schism, the RCC is descendant from the EOC. It's just plain history, no matter how hard one would like it not to be, so fret not.

God is supreme in all things. If the RCC views you in a different light if you convert, that is their own issue to deal with. Remember, He alone holds the power to judge. The EOC will receive you in love and help you come to the fulness of your faith. Christ is present in both places, so you don't need to fear damnation for seeking with your whole heart...that will be rewarded by God.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Don't hide from worry, friend. Your personal struggle is our own, albeit with different variables, depending on the person. We are all searching and trying to heal our souls in Christ...we are all sinners.

No matter the platitudes on the schism, the RCC is descendant from the EOC. It's just plain history, no matter how hard one would like it not to be, so fret not.

God is supreme in all things. If the RCC views you in a different light if you convert, that is their own issue to deal with. Remember, He alone holds the power to judge. The EOC will receive you in love and help you come to the fulness of your faith. Christ is present in both places, so you don't need to fear damnation for seeking with your whole heart...that will be rewarded by God.

Thank you. That may be the most welcoming and encouraging communication i have received. And i find the EOC and its members to be unbelievably welcoming.

Upvote 0

7spiritfilled

RKO, I will give you a tip when I was struggling many years ago. I will not get into it all as it is a very long story. I started reading the Bible since 1972. There were many inconsistencies with what the church taught and what the Bible read. I got on my knees and asked God for the truth. I told Him that I did not care about what the truth was, so long as it was His truth. I am a born again Christian. I have a personal relationship with my Savior and I shed off the traditions of men. We have to get into the basic and simple truth. You will get your answer. You may have to empty yourself of all you were taught. God will lead you where you ought to be. Just trust Him. Read and study the Bible. His word, not man's is truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,870.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, RKO,
My two cents is that, if you're coming to Orthodoxy, it's because you think it is the real deal, NOT just running away from the Catholic Church. The latter can result in short-lived conversions.

To 7spiritfilled - we DO care that truth is God's truth and not man's, and we DO (like other Christian traditions) read and study the Bible. I think most Christians could say that. :)

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Hey, RKO,
My two cents is that, if you're coming to Orthodoxy, it's because you think it is the real deal, NOT just running away from the Catholic Church. The latter can result in short-lived conversions.

To 7spiritfilled - we DO care that truth is God's truth and not man's, and we DO (like other Christian traditions) read and study the Bible. I think most Christians could say that. :)

Strangely enough, that helps me. I am definitely NOT running away from the RCC. I am finding more about the EOC that I have always believed, the more I look into it. Wouldn't you say that's the right approach?

Upvote 0

chapdaddy

Feb 6, 2011
Garland, Tx USA
✟15,236.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
RKO, I will give you a tip when I was struggling many years ago. I will not get into it all as it is a very long story. I started reading the Bible since 1972. There were many inconsistencies with what the church taught and what the Bible read. I got on my knees and asked God for the truth. I told Him that I did not care about what the truth was, so long as it was His truth. I am a born again Christian. I have a personal relationship with my Savior and I shed off the traditions of men. We have to get into the basic and simple truth. You will get your answer. You may have to empty yourself of all you were taught. God will lead you where you ought to be. Just trust Him. Read and study the Bible. His word, not man's is truth.

I would recommend this too... Only after I started doing this did God, through some pretty random circumstances, introduce me to the Orthodox Church

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
On the verge of converting

To Eastern Orthodoxy, if that is even called a "conversion." My reasons for doing this are simple. I write this to invite discussion from others to tell me where I am wrong, if in fact I am:
I have been discerning this for a period of a few years. I struggled that if I left Catholicism, that Catholicism would "damn" me, somehow, as am apostate. Even though I know that if I was fully convicted, that should matter to me at all, it did.
Still after lots of study, it seems to me that the practice of Orthodoxy, IS the original, or certainly closest to the original, christian worship practiced by the Apostles and ECF.
Apostolic succession is important.
The EOC treatment of sin and redemption, and its teaching on original sin is far closer to what I have come to believe. (sin as "illness" rather than "crime.")
I do not know who left whom during the Great Schism, but I suspect they were never as organized as the RCC teaches. At least throughout the histories I have read that isn't the case. the difference between "primacy" and "supremacy" seem to have always been real, and it seems that Rome was "prime" but not "supreme."
Both Churches were under the leadership of the Apostles, and I agree that Peter was the rock. I don't know that all of the succeeding popes were Rocks or not. It seems imperial.
Still, my cradle catholicism is strong in me, and I am still struggling with this.
Thanks for reading and I would love to hear any comment.
I would think that your attempt at being gracious in sharing where you're at is not something that would need to be attacked....

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
most of us who left a former confession, or at least struggled with it were in a similar position, even if not as strong. all I can do is offer my prayers, and second that you should come to the Orthodox Church if you believe her to be true, not just to get away from RC. and yes, only God can judge, because only He can truly see you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think I might need to get new glasses. I initially read the above as "What he said in spanish"

:ahah:

I always misread things, and my prescription is fine. For me, it's a brain problem.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,907.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
RKO, I haven't been back to catholic forums for nearly 5 years after they banned several Orthodox members and at least one Eastern Catholic (Irish Melkite) and purged a good number of threads discussing Orthodoxy. They are staunchly Latin Catholic and barely tolerate Eastern Catholicism there let alone Orthodoxy.

If you do find yourself banned, know that you will find yourself in very good company. To this day I still cannot fathom why Irish Melkite was banned beyond him being a shining example of non latin Catholicism. You could not have found a more polite or respectful (or knowledgable) member on their forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.