I need to know what's right

tamilia

Jan 20, 2006
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
:help: Hello everyone, I have an issue that has arised in our worship group. We are a new church (10 months old) and have a small worship group composed of three: 2 singers and piano (keyboard-me). I am a professional musician. I studied classical piano and have a Master in Piano performance. In my experience I have been part of many music groups, and this is a first for me!My group and I want more musicians and singers. Of course it would be great to have professional musicians, but I believe that God is in control, therefore He will send whom He deems appropiate. Now, our problem is that my peers want to require a period of "trial" of about 3 to 6 months to see if our new musicians are really "serious" about the worship ministry. I have a different opinion about this. I believe that if the person fills our need in the band and the person confesses his genuine interest in worshiping the Lord, and of course, is in compliance with the rehearsal requirements of the group, then the person should be allowed to play in the pulpit with the rest of the band as soon as the song is ready. I am afraid that many restrictions may "push" the person away from attempting integration to our group. A 3-6month trial period sounds to me like we will be watching him/her behavior during this time to see if you re worthy of playing with us judging solely on the matter of how seriously commited to worship he or she is.

Could there be a happy medium?
Am I missing anything?
Has anyone mastered this (most probable) common situation?
I need a good argument.

Need help fast! (rehearsal in 5 hours !):help:

vanilla8

He is wise, who is wise through God
Oct 16, 2005
Scotland, Shetland Islands
✟11,954.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In our church, the pastor set a rule that anyone who wants to join the group must attend rehersals for a few weeks before they are able to play at a service. This is because you need to get to know eachother first, for unity, also to see that they're not in it for personal glory and also a new person in the church might be harbouring a jezebel spirit and they often seek to cause dis-harmony in the worship group first.
Vanilla8

Upvote 0

hugnluvable

AMAZED!
Jul 17, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Visit site
✟18,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Vanilla's post makes sense. You need to be able to interact with the other guys leading! But who are we to judge someones behaviour for 3-6 months? I mean, were they subjected to that policy? Somethings not right there.

Upvote 0

ghduvall

Dec 27, 2005
✟7,646.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would want to know the person at least some before I would want them to do any ministry. If they just walked in the door and no one knew them I would want them to come to the church for a time to see if they were serious about worshiping belonging to your church. Now if it is someone you have known for awhile and they started going to your church that might be a little different. You want to make sure they fit with the rest of the worship team, conflict there can really cause problems with the whole service.

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The way I would handle this would be:

1. Make sure the person is saved and is walking right with the Lord.
2. Have them approach the pastor with their intentions on joining the worship team, or you can approach the pastor with him/her.
3. Meet with the person privately for a jam session to see what their style is like and work on any modifications they may have to do in their playing.
(nos. 2 & 3 can be reversed if it seems better that way)
4. If all goes well by this point, have him/her join the team for rehearsals only, for a few weeks till they and the team gets to know one another.
5. By this time he/she should be ready to go out and minister in public.

These are just guidelines on how one can approach this.

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
Well Emm,

My experience, I'm a well known vocalist, guitar player, and Keyboard player.
I've done this for many years, composing, writing, etc in both Secular and Worship Groups. I attended one church for 10 yrs and joined the worship group after 2 months. Finally I had to move so I wasn't able to attend the same church, I had a long break looking for a new church although was still writing songs, all songs and composing I do has 2 versions, the Secular and the worship, just changing a few tabs and words, as some places don't want religous input.
Now what did suprise me was I joined a new church in December the first week. I knew that God had always led me to worship, don't ask why as it just happenned. Within 3 weeks I was asked to sing solo, one of my own worship songs, I still don't know how it came to there knowledge I was a musician. 4 weeks ago I was asked to join the worship group. As far as the worship group itself was concerned the Pastor told me shed had desernment from the Lord I was to be up there. This already has led to composing more music etc both secular and worship. I personaly believe it comes from discernment from an elder or pastor through God as theres no other way they could have known.

Im=revived
ghduvall said:
I would want to know the person at least some before I would want them to do any ministry. If they just walked in the door and no one knew them I would want them to come to the church for a time to see if they were serious about worshiping belonging to your church. Now if it is someone you have known for awhile and they started going to your church that might be a little different. You want to make sure they fit with the rest of the worship team, conflict there can really cause problems with the whole service.

Upvote 0

Pure_Joy

Embracing life with enthusiasm at every turn...
Jan 31, 2006
College
✟16,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
tamilia said:
:help: Hello everyone, I have an issue that has arised in our worship group. We are a new church (10 months old) and have a small worship group composed of three: 2 singers and piano (keyboard-me). I am a professional musician. I studied classical piano and have a Master in Piano performance. In my experience I have been part of many music groups, and this is a first for me!My group and I want more musicians and singers. Of course it would be great to have professional musicians, but I believe that God is in control, therefore He will send whom He deems appropiate. Now, our problem is that my peers want to require a period of "trial" of about 3 to 6 months to see if our new musicians are really "serious" about the worship ministry. I have a different opinion about this. I believe that if the person fills our need in the band and the person confesses his genuine interest in worshiping the Lord, and of course, is in compliance with the rehearsal requirements of the group, then the person should be allowed to play in the pulpit with the rest of the band as soon as the song is ready. I am afraid that many restrictions may "push" the person away from attempting integration to our group. A 3-6month trial period sounds to me like we will be watching him/her behavior during this time to see if you re worthy of playing with us judging solely on the matter of how seriously commited to worship he or she is.

Could there be a happy medium?
Am I missing anything?
Has anyone mastered this (most probable) common situation?
I need a good argument.

Need help fast! (rehearsal in 5 hours !):help:
I think maybe they should go to practices only for bout 2 or 3 weeks then begin to play...If they continue to come whenevr possible they are comited. Also maybe have them sign a comittment paper.

Upvote 0

daughterofzion

Love, Truth, Wisdom, Light, Understanding, Kindess
Apr 28, 2005
Michigan
✟13,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vanilla8 said:
In our church, the pastor set a rule that anyone who wants to join the group must attend rehersals for a few weeks before they are able to play at a service. This is because you need to get to know eachother first, for unity, also to see that they're not in it for personal glory and also a new person in the church might be harbouring a jezebel spirit and they often seek to cause dis-harmony in the worship group first.
Vanilla8

I think this is a good idea. First be commited to the reherals, take the time to pray together in unity and get to know each other first, and then go for it. Dont do this to judge or scrutinize, but do it for wisdoms sake!

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

I'm curious to know what happened for tamilia!

At our church, we have a worship leader, so I suppose that helps. It's not like every member of the band is scrutinizing the newcomer. Anyone who wants to come to rehearsal is allowed to, even if they're not part of the team. We don't get many takers though! :)

Then after a few weeks, if the leader thinks the person is committed and capable enough, s/he will play on Sundays. Maybe not all the songs at first, but some of them.

For awhile, we actually had a singer on our team who wasn't quite in tune, but he was committed and willing to work at it. The worship leader worked with him a little, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 9, 2006
land of the purple spots
✟34,932.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was asked to play on the worship team at my church by someone who believed I would fit their ministry well. It's all a matter of knowing the person and just by knowing them, you can discern their attitude regarding Worship. Allow them to rehersal for a few weeks, after rehersal let them jam with you for a little while. Have fun with them and see their methods of skill.

Worship should be giving your all for God, and enjoying the ministry as well. Don't allow others to be so controlling of the ministry if you are in charge. You set the tone for the ministry and if they won't follow then they are not obedient to your leadership.

my two cents.

Upvote 0

Brachot

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
✟15,118.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I believe to be a worship musician or singer is a calling from God, it's not about having a place to play (a gig). In the time of King David it was taken very seriously and was a full time job. True worship brings the Presence of Almighty God into the place.(Read in Acts 16:25-26). Jesus said true worshipers worship in "Spirit and in Truth". Worship is a lifestyle of devotion to the Lord. I believe the people involved should be solid Christians who have a heart for Him above all else and a heart to do the worship as a heartfelt devotion to the Lord. I don't consider it a light calling based only on musical skill, but a call of the heart.

Upvote 0

diana_ch

Mar 19, 2006
Sydney
Visit site
✟7,811.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
vanilla8 said:
Vanilla8

I agree here, in our church you can't just get up on stage because your good. I don't believe that you can afford to allow someone you don't totally know get up and minister to the congregation. It is a great responsibility since we are up at the forefront of the battle.

Personally I like to give 3-4 weeks in practice before they even see the stage, then I allow another 2 months as "probationary", that means that commitment and the appropriate lifestyle must be demonstrated, if not, I prefer to lose someone that is "talented" and replace them with someone that may not be so talented but has the anointing of Christ on them.

Upvote 0

SGM4HIM

Jul 17, 2005
North Florida
✟10,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think 3-6 months is too long. Going to a couple rehearsals sounds good. People can feel each other out, and see the unglamorous side of praise & worship. If the person is still interested; give the person a copy of this article "So you want to be in the band?" and see how he feels about the undertaking. http://www.donpottermusic.com/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=3911

This article as well as others on Don's site should be read by all members of your praise team It gives you something to think about!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

underOATH!

Worshipper
Feb 8, 2005
Jackson, MS
Visit site
✟9,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's really something you need to pray about. I agree with it some but I really don't know. They have a point worship should be something your committed to, but I don't think you have to search out for only the best musicians. "Those with clean hands and pure hearts will ascend the mount of the Lord." It doesn't matter how good of a musician you are.

Upvote 0