i need music help

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
It's not evil, but it's not helpful either. Listening to secular doesn't make you non-Christian, but honestly it doesn't help make you a better Christian either.
Nowadays it almost seem silly to have to listen to secular music becuz there's so much rawking Christian music available to us now.
The thing I'm always telling my youth group kids is, the biggest thing that separates Christian music and secular music ...secular music artist don't give a flip about you or the way their music effects you [and it does effect you], but Christian artist do care.
Personally I think there's a lot of reason why ppl should listen to Christian music instead secular music, but nonetheless... you can listen to secular music and that isn't some kind of evil sin. It's just merely lacking.

Upvote 0

GuruGreg

Worship Leader
May 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
✟183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'd suggest listening to the words carefully and determining if they speak things you agree with. I listen to a fair amount of secular music myself, and some of them are simply powerful songs about emotions, which I find OK. There's nothing wrong with singing about struggles and not knowing where life is taking you, because those are concerns. Off the top of my head, songs like "Crawling" and "Lying Away From You" by Linkin Park are very powerful songs about frustrations with one's self and dealing with tough situations. Neither really gives a negative message, but I feel they leave you with the hope that better times lie ahead. I find it important to communicate these feelings, because we do all deal with struggles in our lives, believers or non-believers.

But then again, there are songs which hide dark and destructive messages in with great music. There have been a lot of songs over the last few years I have gone back and listened to the lyrics again only to find that they don't allign with my views on God and life any more. The beats and musicianship were so lucritive that I just glazed over what was being said. I find this the case with a lot of radio music, and I often catch myself later.
I guess what I'm trying to say is to listen with discression. Don't just throw out all secular music, because God may be trying to speak to you through it. It wouldn't be the first time He attempted to contact one through a non-believer. But don't accept all of it either, because Satan will produce seductive sounds to try and keep people from seeing God.

Upvote 0

imaginarylight

razz-ma-tazz
Jun 24, 2004
ohio
Visit site
✟139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
.. i dont think its wrong at all.. i had the same doubts you did. and my dad told me that it is perfectly okay for you to have other music intrests.. just be careful you dont start acting more the way of the world.. idk its hard to give my opinion its hard to express. dont let the music you like influence you to act differently then when you do when you listen to the oh so lovely christian music :) i tried :sigh:

Upvote 0